Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What road tyres?
  • ibnchris

I have a Reilly Gradient I’ve been mostly using for on/off road jaunts with gravel tyres. I’d like something a bit faster to use purely on road. Not sure what width but doubt any less than 28mm.

What would you use and where can you get them cheaply 🙂 ?

kerley
    Free Member

I am using Hutchison 11storm performance in size 28 and got a pair for £60 from Sigma Sports.
    Running them tubeless they went on easily and inflated with just a track pump.

They roll very well, are pretty light and are claimed to be durable.

oldnpastit

30mm challenge strada. Nightmare to get on but lush once mounted. Have survived a fair amount of off road abuse.

Shred
    Free Member

Also been running the Hutchinson Fusion 5 11storm performance in 28s tubeless. My rear tyre has squared off now, so need a new one for the back, but they have been utterly reliable on road, good wet performance, and have handled some light gravel path rides to get out of town during busy hours with no problems.

The new Conti 5000S TR look good, but cannot find them anywhere.

razorrazoo

I’ve used the Hutchinson’s posted by Kerley for the past 2.5 years.  Had to replace 2 in that time due to big punctures (running tubeless).  None in stock when I bought new wheels so am currently on a set of more durable but heavier Pirelli’s (Cintirado) which seem ok and will replace with some Hutchinson’s when the weather gets better.

I was put off GP5000s by stories that they are a pain to install. Both the Hutchinson’s and Pirelli’s have been easy to install and set up tubeless.

Saccades
    Free Member

Specialized Roubaix 30/32

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m quite pleased with the Schwalbe One tubeless tyres on my road bike.

Perfectly grippy enough (I’m a bit fussy about that) and were notably cheaper than some of the more fashionable options.

Got mine for £32 each from Merlin IIRC, but stock will obviously fluctuate.

jimdubleyou

I used to be a 4 Seasons fan, but recently I’ve been on Conti GP 5000 TL 32mm (setup tubeless). Did not find them a pain to install on my 20mm (ish) internal rims.

Good comfort, pretty good speed (despite the engine).

ransos
    Free Member

I am using Hutchison 11storm performance in size 28 and got a pair for £60 from Sigma Sports.

Same here. Good grip in the wet and roll pretty well.

schmiken

Pain in the bum to install, but ride wonderfully once they are on – I’m also on Challenge Strada Biancas in a 30c. Pair them up with latex tubes for extra comfort.

w00dster

Another fan of the challenge Strada. Got them in 27 and 30mm. Lovely tyre.
    Mounting tyres is all rim dependent, I had no issues with the challenge tyres, set up tubeless. I had a nail go through the tyre that wouldn’t seal (big hole and frayed around the edge of the hole), on the road I put a tube in and it was very easy. And I’m absolute rubbish normally at changing tyres.
    Had no end of fights with GP5000’s though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My road bike rarely heads outside Nov-Apr, for the rest of this year I’ve been using 32mm GP5000 on the rear and a 23mm on the front.

Shred
    Free Member

For clarity, do not get the old GP5000, but the new GP5000S TR seems to have fixed all the issues with the original. You just cannot find them anywhere to buy.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been using 32mm GP5000 on the rear and a 23mm on the front.

But why?

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I’ve been using 32mm GP5000 on the rear and a 23mm on the front.

But why?

Road bike mullet. Aero at the front comfort at the back.

Running GP5000’s with tubes. Grippy, fast and a surprisingly tough tyre. I’ll get a puncture today saying this but I don’t get enough punctures on road to make tubeless tyres worth the hassle.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But why?

For the compromise of saddle comfort with the extra weight I’ve put on this year, combined with reduced aero drag on the leading edge of the bike. I bought and fitted the 23mm in 2020 and I swear it makes a positive difference.

In 2020 I used a 25mm GP5000 rear, but I’ve put on ~7Kg since then which means higher pressure and a lot of the South Downs lanes I ride feel like they’ve deteriorated in the last year or so.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well there is something intriguing about having the rear of your bike in 2021 and the front in 2011, so if it works for you then crack on mate.

I’m sure someone will be along soon to bash you with aero stats though.

Jamz
    Free Member

Conti GP5000 in summer

Vittoria Corsa Control in winter

28mm is the ideal size for a road bike imo

fossy

Vittoria Rubino or Zaffiro – can be got cheap, and the Pro version is folding. Roll very well and are pretty tough. Michelin Pro Race are my favourite tyres but they are paper thin.

Durano Plus are a good tough tyre – I used these for commuting.

richardkennerley

I am using Hutchison 11storm performance in size 28

Me too. Tubeless on Hunt wheels. Been on all year round, no punctures, no tubeless problems.

schmiken

Pain in the bum to install, but ride wonderfully once they are on – I’m also on Challenge Strada Biancas in a 30c. Pair them up with latex tubes for extra comfort.

Would also like to say this is also on a Reilly as well – but a Spectre rather than a Gradient.

MoreCashThanDash

Running the slick GravelKings in 32mm on my Laverack, set up tubeless. Work really well on our wet, muddy, crappy local roads.

dickie
    Free Member

Summer: Conti GP5000 32mm tubeless
    Winter: Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm 30mm with guards tubeless.
    On a Trek Domane, 90kg running 70 psi.

ginkster

Hutchinson Fusion 5 11storm for me too. 30mm setup tubeless on DT Swiss rims. Been great. Got them from Sigma about a year ago.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Spring / Summer – For the past 18 months Conti GP 5000 TL 32mm, v impressed, super fast & grippy. Bit of a ball ache getting them on my Hunt Carbon Aero 50s but once on the rims pumped straight up tubeless.

Autumn / Winter – trying out a pair of Schwalbe One TLE 30mm for the past few months on DT PR Dicut wheelset and whilst seemingly a noticeable amount slower than the GP5000 TL, I’ve been impressed with them as 4 season tyres. Pretty easy to set up tubeless and seem quite hard wearing so far this Winter. Good price from Merlin.

Just taking delivery of a new pair of 2022 Conti GP5000 S TR 32mm (naturally in tanwall!) so it’ll be interesting to use those by Summer as a comparison to the GP5000 TL I’ve been using.

TiRed

Hahaha. I run 21c on three Hed 3’s on the trike. GP5000’s on most of my bikes now with tubes, some latex. I’ve also run Schwalbe Ones tubeless and they were very nice. Couldn’t save a slit puncture though.

If you want speed… it has to be Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless. Simply the fastest tyres I’ve ever ridden. And I rode two sets before they bankrupted me. Fragile but great for TTs if you can get them on the rims!

GP5000s in 28 rear and 25 front will see you good.

jimmy

I’ve just posted some Conti Gatorskins in the classifieds. Lightly used but been gathering dust for a while. Just in case…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of brand new Mavic Yksion elite Guard 28mm tyres you could have cheap if you’re interested? PM me?

Came with some Mavic wheels but haven’t ben used.

Info: https://road.cc/content/review/140899-mavic-yksion-elite-guard-tyres

13thfloormonk

My next all-round/winter road tyres will be Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR. They have a thicker tread than most so I would be more confident going tubeless without having to worry about punctures in the tread that don’t seal (I’m stuck with 25mm tyres so need to run 80psi).

By all accounts they roll well/grip well etc.

For summer use it has to be GP5000s, I’ve always wanted to try Corsas etc. but but remember being put off by stories of fragile tread etc. Might check recent reviews when I’m ready to replace the old Contis

razorrazoo

My next all-round/winter road tyres will be Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR. They have a thicker tread than most so I would be more confident going tubeless without having to worry about punctures in the tread that don’t seal (I’m stuck with 25mm tyres so need to run 80psi).

These are what I’ve been running this winter in 28, so far so good.

twisty

GP5000, in either tubeless or tubed forms are pretty much top of their respective classes as the fastest tyres that have good enough mileage/puncture resistance for everyday use (loads of data at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/). I would however go for something with more tread if you’re planning on encountering lots of wet/slippery or especially some icy conditions. Personally, I consider 28mm plenty big enough for roads unless they’re in a terrible state – but this can also be a personal thing.

Tubeless tyres have lower rolling resistance than tubes ones but we’re talking ~4W difference (compared to quality butyl tubes) for two tyres at 30km/h for a 80kg ish rider. They’re a bit of a PITA to install and you’d need to check that the rims can cope with the projected tyre pressures without tubes (it’s a real thing – the spokes can go slack on wider gravel rims for this kind of setup!).

Latex tubes are faster than butyl ones, but they’re a bit more delicate and you need to reinflate them pretty much every day as air gases are more soluble in latex rubber than butyl rubber.

I suspect that woke aerodynamicists factor in what happens on the trailing edges of stuff.
    To actually get decent aero gains would involve using aero clip-ons, then you might be more comfortable with a larger tyre on the front than on the rear.
    I believe GP4000S II or GP 4000 RS are more aero than GP5000

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.