• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P20.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What road shoes if you like shimano MTB shoes?
  • Garry_Lager

Looking for a pair of carbon-soled road shoes – always get on well with shimano shoes on the MTB so I realise the obvious answer is to just get same for the road. There’s some good value stuff available from the likes of dhb, decathlon etc, though, so wondering how the wide-of-foot get on with these?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Stay away from Northwave they are very narrow in my experience.

You wont go far wrong with Shimano if you like the fit on the MTB. Also check out Specialized, very comfy and good fitting shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above.

NW winter boots are great, but their normal shoes are narrow.

Spesh are super comfy, at least on my square feet.

scud
    Free Member

I have wide feet and find Specialized shoes to be good and comparable to my Shimano MTB shoes, Body Geometry fit is good to with differing insoles to adjust fit, plus they are hard wearing my commuter shoes have done over 20,000 miles!

tthew

If you’re not a licence holding road racer, just put a pair of SPD pedals on your road bike. The gains you make from hugely stiff road shoes are minimal, and wearing full on road cleats is a right pain in the arse every single second you are off the bike.

IMHO of course.

thomthumb
    Free Member

shimano have several lasts. It’s worth finding out which your shoe uses.

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl/fw/technologies/more_lasts.php

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pick the equivalent road ones to your MTB ones, a bit easier with current model lines.

On the Northwave front, I have Shimano XC7 MTB shoes and Northwave Galaxy carbon road shoes the fit is nearly identical. I also use a set of Northwave Hammer SRS for CX as they’ve pretty much got no vents and really grippy soles along with the toe studs.

Giro are ridiculously narrow all round and not very tall in the instep kind of thing.

Personally I would always go for proper road shoes over MTB ones, the pedals clip in far more positively, the platform is nice and you don’t need the massive amount of float you get MTB pedals on the road as (IMHO) you’re not moving around all over the place on the bike.

Best bet is to try them on and get what fits best.

scud
    Free Member

With above, road shoes on a road bike, feels so much more positive and less float, unless commuting or a ride where you’ll be un-clipping lots and putting foot down.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had the DHB carbon shoes and some slightly more expensive Shimano ones, which I’ve found much better made and more comfy.

I don’t live far from Merlin so I was able to pop in and try them for size – and compare the different width fittings.

prawny

I’ve got some Shimano RO80s and they feel loads stiffer and more positive on road pedals than any MTB shoes I’ve used. I really like them.

They’ve also done about 20k miles and are filthy dirty but still going strong. I wouldn’t rule out non carbon ones, unless you really must.

If you’ve got cash to burn try on some Sidis. I tried a pair and they were quite similar fitting to my Shimanos.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano road shoes here, in wide fit.

If you’re not a licence holding road racer, just put a pair of SPD pedals on your road bike. The gains you make from hugely stiff road shoes are minimal, and wearing full on road cleats is a right pain in the arse every single second you are off the bike.

Off the bike I agree, but that’s hardly ever, like buying a car based on how comfortable the tyres are to kick. Unless you intend to spend a lot of time walking it’s a none issue.

I’m “built for comfort not speed” and even I hate SPD’s on the road when pressing on, they’re just about bearable on my winter commute but even then it’s a relief to get back on propper pedals.

lunge

Specialized for me, I have a number of pairs of their carbon soled disco slippers and they’re very good indeed. Fit my oddly wide feet too. Sidi wide fitting could be worth a look too if you want an Italian option.

The B’Twin/Decathlon shoes are very nice indeed but size small and narrow, not sure about dhb/Wiggle.

Edit, and I too agree that road shoes and pedals are the right tool for the job on a road bike. MTB pedals just don’t feel right at all.

P20

I like Shimano shoes both on and off road. They just seem to work for me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What road shoes if you like shimano MTB shoes?’ is closed to new replies.