• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What road helmet under 100 pounds?
  • donkeydave

Hi just realised my road helmet is ten years old so probably home for a new one.
    What you all using and would recommend?.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A red one. Or maybe blue.

Mostly, though, one that fits.

lunge

Save £75 and get one of the Carnac jobs from planet-x. They’re really rather good.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I got a Carnac one, sent it back as it was hideously uncomfortable…. not all heads are the same!

I eventually got a Kask Rapido in a sale somewhere for about £50ish… it’s like wearing a lovely woolly hat

timba
    Free Member

You need to try a few for fit and comfort, some makes are shaped differently to others
    Under £100? Pretty much any helmet from the last model year(s) in the sales

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d recommend mine but chances are it won’t fit you.

Same for anyone recommending a helmet.

Flaperon

Specialized were best for me, did a tour around three bike shops before finding a helmet that was comfortable.

TiRed

As mentioned any that is a good fit and a nice colour. I’m huge fan of Giro helmets. The medium fits me perfectly in all styles, I’ve put one into the side of a car at 20 mph and it did what it was meant to (crushed not cracked), I’ve put another through a metal sign and a third into the tarmac.

They all fitted well, hence provided protection. I have no doubt that others that met the same standards would have done the same.

As for colour, mine is black with fluoro highlights. It’s the only bright kit I wear. White for kit matching when racing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you have a round head, the cyan and white Met Rivale from Wiggle,£55!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Definitely try before you buy. My head fits some helmets others just don’t and aren’t comfortable

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Note to self not to ride on the road with TiRed

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

After years of using Bell or Giro i recently picked up a new Lazer Blade for £33 on eBay( reduced due to it being a dull Titanium colour rather than the more trendy white or flourish colours currently favoured.). Much more sophisticated retention and adjustment system and consequently a much better fit. Definitely reccomended.

TiRed

Two of those were “racing incidents”. But I’m a satisfied Giro customer/product tester. Problem is those Air Attacks aren’t cheap 🙁

Fit is everything. Might go for a Synthe this time. Less mushroom.

By contrast, I’ve never found a Kask helmet comfortable as they seem to dig into the back of my head.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tried on quite a few but Kask ones fitted my nut the best.
    Have a Kask Vertigo

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just seen CRC have the Met Rivale for £50 in a few colours, but limited sizes.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/met-rivale-helmet-2016/rp-prod152900

iainc

All down to fit. I have a Giro shaped head and recently had a Foray MIPS which was nice. Sold it to a mate and bought a Synthe MIPS which is the best and lightest helmet I have had. Bit more dosh though..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What road helmet under 100 pounds?’ is closed to new replies.