Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What road bike?
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

I have a mate who's trying ( successfully )to get me to buy a road bike.He wants to do the SarnHelen Sportife .

I've not been on a road bike for years, but used as a kid ( Didn't everyone?)
    What should I be looking for? ( £1200 budget or there abouts ) open question I realize,but some basic advice would be appreciated.Thanks

grantway
    Free Member

Take a look at the Ribble bikes they do a carbon sportive bike start from £ 1,69.99p and you get shimano 105 group set. Bargain

Carpediem
    Free Member

I did actually See those… very nice.Nero RC I think it was…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Ask you self whether this will be a one off or what sort of road riding you might continue to do? There's little point going for a lightweight racer if you decide that Audax or Touring is really your bag.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I think most likely it will be going for a few hours on the weekend and perhaps longer rides every now and again.Love my MTB though, so not going to spend all me' time on a roadie, just be good to have the choice.

grantway
    Free Member

If you want something inbetween a sportive/race bike look at
    Ribble Gran Fondo thats a nice looking bike and same price as
    there Sportive bike.

HTTP404
    Free Member

about to take delivery of a ribble carbon evo thing in sram rival for a smidgeon under a grand ….

FuzzyWuzzy

Should be plenty of offers around LBS's for 2010 models, I'd go there (and at least get a basic fit) rather than order on-line given you seem to have no road bike experience. For that money you should be getting at least a carbon frame & fork with either 105, Rival or Veloce and probably some basic wheels. With a sale deal you might be able to step up to Ultegra/Force/Athena etc.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Ordered this last night……. bouncing about like a mad rabbit now 🙂

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/products/images/bbuilder/SERIBBGRANFONDCAMP_1_zoom.jpg

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I bought myself a Gran Fondo this year as well full Ultegra 6700 for £1100 was a bargain.

Not had any road bike experience before but it seems nice enough to ride. I have so far enjoyed road rides more than i thought i would.

DezB
    Free Member

8) Crikey! That’s a LOUD bike!
    Enjoy 🙂

wwaswas

blimey, that’s certainly got, errm, presence.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Without the pimp wheels though. lol

Mister-P
    Free Member

Carpe diem could you have put a warning on that link? Jesus that hurt my eyes.

Carpediem
    Free Member

LOL

pebble
    Free Member

I have a NOS 56cm 2008 Kona Kapu I could sell you for £1200 if your interested. There is a pic in the previous thread of show me your road bikes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Carpe just to compensate for your brashness I have built this stealth machine this afternoon.

clwydrider
    Free Member

Mr p is that the 725 frame? Have you still got the 853 framed one you were trying to sell about a year ago?

GJP
    Free Member

Have you considered s/h? £1200 and less can buy you a seriously good bike

pinches
    Free Member

is that ultegra on the genesis? I went for black 105 on my Stealth ninja bike

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Careful Carpe diem, this roadie lark is a slippery slope.
    Always thought I enjoyed mountain biking more until last April when I joined my LBS club for road rides to help with fitness. A short time later I was the proud owner of this.

Have only ride my mountain bike once since then. 🙁

lazybike
    Free Member

I,m getting tempted by a canyon Al 9.0, lot of bike for the money.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Whats all this carbon and shimano nonsense? I went for something a bit less shiny.

[/url][/img]

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

rusty trowel…….you seem to have Bernard Hinaults saddle on by mistake (ruining the bike IMHO)

very nice otherwise

edhornby

for around 1200 (which will get you a very nice road bike!) you could get the planet X nanolight with rival, very nice! or the SL pro for a bit less, also very good

what the others said about getting the end of 2010 lines or s/h will get you some good stuff, have a look at canyon or a cannondale CAAD9 if you can find one in stock that fits, very highly regarded also

try the classifieds on bike radar

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Boardman Team Carbon £1200 – great spec if lacking a little kudos

PeteG55
    Free Member

For sportive the Cannondale Synapse would be probably better suited than the CAAD9. Also consider the Spesh Secteur. Probably looking for something with a longer head tube and slightly more relaxed angles.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

kuota make the korsa light. its amazing value for money. and i looks nice too. http://www.kuota.it/bike.php?IDCategoria=1&IDBicicletta=22&IDColore=1

gurnster75
    Free Member

How about Planet X, they have well spec’d carbon bikes at the £1000 mark.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@ Margin Walker – San Marco regal, good enough for Boonen, good enough for me. 🙂 p.s. are you named after the fugazi record?

DezB
    Free Member

Ordered this last night.

So why the recommendations? Hmm 😕

Carpediem
    Free Member

Check out the dates Einstein.

Post is Over 2 months old. Ordered bike 3 days ago 😉

Solo
    Free Member

Well, I’m gonna post this anyway.

http://www.factor001.com/the-factor-001

Mister-P
    Free Member

clwydrider – yes it is the 725 frame. The 853 frame went ages ago, that must have been 2 years ago I had that. It went to someone on the forum but my memory for names is shocking.

pinches – yes it is Ultegra 6700. I do like the black 105 but I sold that groupset a few weeks ago. I do like your stealth bike, you have done well.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

@ Margin Walker – San Marco regal, good enough for Boonen, good enough for me. p.s. are you named after the fugazi record?

cant argue with that……watch Tomeke go next year.

As for Fvgazi(!)………”this marginwalker, wants a clear view, ….wants a clear shot “

class.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Well,today’s the day.Bike arrived yesterday.No Ice on the roads, so here goes…. first proper rode ride in years . . . pics to follow 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What road bike?’ is closed to new replies.