• This topic has 58 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • What road bike tyres?
  • simondbarnes

Tubeless, skin walls etc. All shit compared to GP4000S!!!

Balls. Turbo cottons are much nicerer 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

LOOOL over fifty quid a tyre! Wonder how long they’d last on lakeland roads over winter. Plus they’ve got those try-hard skin walls. You’d have to slam your stem and pull your socks up to get away with them.

simondbarnes

I didn’t pay for mine and I don’t ride my nice road bike in winter. Or in the rain 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience of the Mavic tyres that come with their wheels? I got some and wondering whether to swap them straight off for the part worn Conti GP4000sII’s I have on another set of wheels.

I’ve been pleased with the Schwalbe Pro Ones I’ve had on two sets of wheels now. It was easy to inflate the first set on new wheels, the second pair was a bit harder – maybe because the tubeless tape has dimpled in the spoke holes and made it harder to get that initial seal and pop across to the rim bead? Worth the perseverance though! Not mega durable but then they are a race tyre rather than a durable winter boot.

edhornby

All depends on the road quality (invariably poor in the UK) but there’s no reason you can’t mix front and rear, on my commuter i have pro4endurance front and durano rear, used to have the dreaded gatorskins on rear and they are ok on the back (never front!) F you run them at 6 bar rather than past 7bar

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I didn’t pay for mine and I don’t ride my nice road bike in winter. Or in the rain

😀 show off!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skinwalls?

I didn’t pay for mine and I don’t ride my nice road gnarmac bike in winter. Or and in the rain

Skinwalls are MOAR BETTERER! That’s a science fact!

May have to have a little look at the new S-Works Roubaix Turbo Cottons, too….

fifeandy
    Free Member

The roubaix turbo cottons seem a much better idea for day to day riding. Although iirc the riders that used them in this years actual Paris-Roubaix had quite a lot of flats.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m on Challenge Strada Bianca at the moment, and not getting many punctures at all (I know, I know….cursed!). I have sliced a couple of them though, but no matter how good, cheap, strong, orsum you think your tyres, a Hampshire/Wiltshire flint will kill them to death if it wants to. Nothing can defeat a flint!

Haze

Had another go today with a proper tubeless inflator and I still couldn’t get it to work. The bead is so damn tight that it won’t pop out onto the rim and no amount of soap or persuasion seems to help

How did you get on?

I used to have a little Innovations CO2 chuck that worked every time until I lost it. Really struggled afterwards and eventually bought an Airshot, problem solved.

No soap or pre-inflating with a tube, all I need to do is pop the valve out and load the inflator with about 140 psi.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve also been a fan of the Conti gp4000s but I got talked into trying the Spesh Turbo Cottons. Though the tyre feels nice I had to throw away two tyres in the first three weeks after they both had identical holes right through the casing. Spesh were good enough to warranty them both but I seem to get a puncture a week on the damn things! I’m going back to the Contis once they wear out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How did you get on?

Close to giving up. Tried everything, loads of soap on the rim and bead, 180psi in the tank. Still not enough to seat the tyre. Tried a mates small compressor, same result. Going to pop down the LBS to give their big compressor a go, but if I need to do that each time I want to fit a new tyre then I’ll be sticking with tubes.

I’m a bit surprised really as while the tyre is bloody hard to get on the rim I can still manage it with encouragement from a tyre lever, so can’t be that tight.

Haze

Did you try the inflator with the valve out?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes. Always with the valve core out.

Haze

Hmm, surprising…I’ve had times when I’ve struggled but inflator has worked for me last few times.

Can’t blame you for feeling a bit disillusioned if you need to go to the LBS everytime…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm yes, maybe just the combination of rim and the Pro One’s just not working well.

Haze

Pacenti SL23 here for what it’s worth.

Thinking back I’ve also had success by re-taping the rim, assuming you’re not working on a fresh layer

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wheels came with yellow tape. I guess I could try re-taping 😕

TiRed

I’ve had schwalbe tyres that were just too tight. Nobby mics on stans. You might be able to stretch them with an inner tube. I ran my pro ones on ksyriums without any issue. Non tubeless rims though.

Will mount a Corsa Speed onto my new jet plus disc wheel later. Last one was tight but the long Topeak lever flipped over got them onto the last rims. It also gets them off. I carry them with the spare tube.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What road bike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.