Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what road bike – £1000 ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

friend is wanting a road bike for £1000 cycle to work scheme ?

recommendations ?

jasonm945
    Free Member

Not one for the brand snobs but you can’t beat this for vfm, mine rides lovely too…

Jay

steveoath
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Defy 1

anagallis_arvensis

Defy’s are cracking value.

mboy
    Free Member

The Defy is a superb bike, but even better VFM is Merida’s take on the £1k price point, the Race Lite 904…

Full Carbon fork (inc steerer), better wheels, better brakes, same groupset etc. It’s a superb bike!

TiRed

What does he want to do with it – aside from ride on the road? Defy 1 would also me my choice for a first Road bike. The Merida is superb value for money (they also make Boardmans), but the geometry is VERY race oriented, with a low front end. The Defy is a great all-rounder, in fact the alloy one can take a rack and mudguards.

rootes1

Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra or 105 some last years ones on sale at a few places

TiRed

Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra

I can also recommend one of these, as Son 1 has one. Rides well, less aggressive geometry than the Merida with a higher front end. Will take mudguards but not a rack. Paintwork on the Tiagra is an acquired taste (unless you are 15 and want to be Peter Sagan 😉 ). The Defy and the CAAD8 are the two outstanding alloy frames at the price point. And they have the same groupsets too. Wheels on both are heavy, and tyres are dreadful, I upgraded to Ultremos, which made a world of difference.

Bregante

Caad 8 105 here. Absolutely cracking frame. That Merida looks good though.

edhornby

the ali framed Sab from PlanetX would be a cracking bike, and if you could get the force for the one K mark then snap their hand off

mboy
    Free Member

The Merida is superb value for money (they also make Boardmans), but the geometry is VERY race oriented, with a low front end.

I used to have a Defy, I now have a Merida (although it’s the Carbon Scultura but the geometry is the same as the Race Lite). The Merida is a tiny bit racier, but it’s not as full on as you make out. The fact its got a less sloping top tube than the Giant makes it look racier, but there’s not an enormous amount in it. Defy does have more clearance for bigger tyres and guards though if that is important.

TiRed

it’s not as full on as you make out.

Fair point, the angles are broadly similar (Merida will have slightly quicker steering, but not much), but there is an inch difference in head tube height. Which largely comes down to whether you want spacers or not.

Merida geometry used to be the same as Boardman, and looked a lot like the Giant TCR. There is little difference between my TCR and my Defy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what road bike – £1000 ?’ is closed to new replies.