Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What rims for Dow…. Light trail?
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’ve currently got Hunt XC Wide on an Izzo, but after a year they’re unfortunately looking to live up to their reputation of being a bit soft.
    I hate the cheeseness of them, but love the weight, and how it makes the bike feel.

I’ve got some nice 28h hubs to build onto, so what rims? Realistically am I going to get anything much lighter than the 440g XR391 without going expensive carbon?

Bike is used for a bit of everything over the summer, but I’ve got a bigger bike for smashing through rocks on uplift days, and a hardtail for winter.

lardman
    Free Member

Ive recently bought quite a few carbon rims from Ebay, which i’m planning to build up. Might be worth checking there?   Such as a 28Hole carbon E-thirteen Enduro rim, £50 bargain.

HobNob
    Free Member

I have 2 wheelsets for my little bike, the fancy, carbon light set & the others are a set of XM401’s on some DT 240’s which have my more ‘trail’ tyres on them. They have probably been subjected to more abuse than they should do, but are still straight & round with no dings.

Most of my wheelset rims are DT Swiss because they all just work, really well.

scaled
    Free Member

same again but throw some inserts in there?

joebristol

Inserts probably aren’t going to help resist dents on a soft rim.

DT Swiss rims have served me really well over the last 7 years with no dents or issues. I mostly use XM type rims – 421 and 481 in 27.5” and 481 in 29er.

If you’re denting rims on this bike and aren’t running particularly wide tyres I’d consider the xm421 – in 29er that’s 465g. Not much more then the XR but a chunk stronger / tougher.

swanny853

I’ve pretty much settled on XR391 as the ‘wide enough but not getting too heavy but should be reasonably reliable’ compromise without going carbon. Stan’s arch mk3 did pretty well for me but I’m aware others exposed them.

It’s that or a set of the spesh carbon rims on dt Swiss

SirHC

Stans rims crack round the eyelets, never got more than a 1000 miles before cracking.

DT Rims for me, XM421 on the XC bike. Reliable, light and strong enough for 90kg of me.

Put a nail through one the other week, its still straight and round. Did fill it with glue but ended up swapping it out for fresh rim (its done 4500 miles!!)WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 14.36.29

swanny853

Yeah, I’m aware my experience of Stans gen 3 rims is unusual but that arch mk3 was on the back of my commencal for years and did everything up to the alps. Eventually went the inevitable way of ‘too many small dents and getting harder to keep true’. Doesn’t sound like a common story though.

submarined
    Free Member

Totally forgot about this, very rude, thanks loads everyone for your input.
    391 and 421 look sensible, but now I find myself looking at Nextie carbons that claim to be circa 330g, i27 and about £380…

submarined
    Free Member

(that’s 380/pair!)

mjsmke

Had 421 rims for years and never had an issue. Also got some WTB kom lights that have been great and pretty light for metal rims.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.