Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What rigid carbon fork?
  • Kryton57

I want one for my Kinesis Versa Decade SS, but I want the A2c to be the same as the current 120mm RS Recon that adorns it.

I particularly like look of the Exotic forks – but can’t get one long enough – so what similar looking fork then?

localhero94
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Exotic 29er rigids? that’s what I have on the soda – at the time I worked out that they would give me pretty similar length as the revs at 120mm they replaced.

rewski
    Free Member

Spend a bit more and get white bros rock solids or Syncros FLs.

Northwind

Exotic 29er works well and gives a bit of extra height (and is the same fork as the White Bros, only with less expensive stickers on it)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oooh saved me asking! I was looking for a fork thats around the same height as my 100-130mm Revelations (when set at 120mm :/). So the 29er does the job? Anyone got any pics?

I’m sure there was a company on eBay that did 26″ forks but had different sizes depending on the size of a2c you were removing?

Just for interest, anyone know of a similarly spec/size titanium fork for use with disc brakes?

rewski
    Free Member

and is the same fork as the White Bros, only with less expensive stickers on it

I assumed that but I’m not so sure, they do look very similar but heard exotics flex like eck, white bros are rock solid.

BTW – why is everyone after carbon rigids again?

Northwind

I rode a 26er White Bros and it was a wee bit stiffer than my 29er Exotic, but you’d expect that as it’s shorter- still noticable flex under hard braking tbh.

Not a criticism mind, the Hylix I use now is a fair bit stiffer than either and tbh, most of the time I preferred the give.

Kryton57

Exotic 29er it is then – I’d forgotten that’s what LocalHero has despite riding 71/2 hours with him the other month.

PS, I just googled “Exotic 29” at work, er no, don’t do that….

Kryton57

Btw, is riding a rigid fork going to hurt? It is isn’t it….

Junkyard
    Free Member

no riding rigid off road is smooth as can be you will be fine

rewski
    Free Member

is riding a rigid fork going to hurt?

yes, if you don’t pick your lines, rolling over lots of roots can be interesting, a big tyre with less than 30psi will help. You’ll be flying uphill though.

Northwind

Kryton57 – Member

Btw, is riding a rigid fork going to hurt? It is isn’t it….

Kind of depends. I raced mine in the glentress 7 this year, it was fine apart from I almost needed help to get my hands off the bars at the end. I use it for standard trail riding, pretty much- xc and trail centres and such, drops can be a bit harsh and you do get rattled around at speed… But hurt’s not really the right word, until you ride into a tree anyway.

Ironically it’s actually quite slow sometimes for climbing/flats- lumpy fire roads etc bog it down where a suspended bike makes better progress, it has to bounce over everything. Annoying sometimes!

Kryton57

a big tyre with less than 30psi will help. You’ll be flying uphill though.

It has Bonty XR4’s on, so they should do.

amedias
    Free Member

but I want the A2c to be the same as the current 120mm RS Recon that adorns it.

same static height, or sagged working height?

nedrapier

I put a rigid fork on my old hardtail recently. I read quite a bit of feedback saying that the ride was nicer with steel forks, and it was worth the extra grammes. The frame originally came with Bomber Z2s, 432mm A2C, I took off a bit for sag and got the 425mm A2C Salsa Cromoto.

I absolutely flippin’ love it, amazing in the twisty stuff.

nedrapier

That might sound typically “You don’t want to do that!” STW “advice”, but I guess I’m saying – don’t overlook steel unless you really need to minimise weight; and taking a sagged A2C is a good idea if you want nimble handling – you’ll save the weight of 2 x 30mm tubes too!

takisawa2

26″ Inbred with 29er (470mm) On-One carbons…replaced a 120mm Pace RC40. Tried it with a 440mm rigid but felt too low up front. It rode really well.

IMAG0225 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0226 by pten2106, on Flickr

Kryton57

So have I got this right? The A2c of my unsagged Recon at 120mm is 499mm.

Take away 25% Sag (from 120mm) is approx 30mm, leaving an A2C of 469 approx. Therefore the Exotic Carbon 29er being 465 A2C sounds spot on?

nedrapier

Sounds reasonable to me. Probably what I’d do.

Have fun, let us know how you get on!

localhero94
    Free Member

I’m bringing the forks to the 24/12 Kryton so you can have a look then (not on the bike, but as spare in case of the same kind of apocalyptic weather as last time)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I’ve got the standard A2C Exotic 26ers on my old Pine Mountain (now back in MTB guise from commuter) and unless you go charging through rock gardens*, they’re pretty comfy for rigid forks.

* falls into the “Not a good idea” life choice. 🙂

Kryton57

So, no 29er (465) forks in stock. Plenty of 445’s which takes me to 100mm I guess.

Hmmmmm, should I?

Kryton57

How trusting should I be with 2nd hand pair? I found some 2nd hand 465’s for £70, or its the 445’s new at £104…

??

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What rigid carbon fork?’ is closed to new replies.