• This topic has 74 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by finbar.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • What Rice Cooker 2023
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

Does a toaster do anything more than a grill?

well mine does both sides of the bread at the same time, so yes. 😉

We don’t eat enough rice to justify a specific device. Equal volume of rice and water, small pinch of salt (small because you be eating it all) bring to the boil then set the induction hob to simmer (lid ON) for 10mins then it switches itself off. The residual heat keeps it warm for more than long enough.

hopster
    Free Member

I’m Chinese and no one cooks rice in a pan. Rice cooker will give you perfect rice every time. Once you’ve washed the rice and put the correct amount of water in, you can walk away and never ever get shit rice in minutes. I used a £15 Ikea rice cooker for 8ish years, gave it to a friend when my mum gave me slightly posher one.

All this talk of saucepans for cooking rice makes me laugh. Just spend 20 quid and stop faffing with them. Do you ever see Chinese restaurants or take aways using saucepans???? FFS.

rockbus

Damn it….now I’m going to have to buy a rice cooker!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

stop faffing with them

But it isn’t a faff. In fact, I would wager it would be more faff getting a rice cooker in and out of the cupboard where it would be stored (if you are anything like me and hates clutter on worktops). But I love gadgets – we have a slow cooker, breadmaker, soup maker, panini press, vegetable steamer, smoothie maker, crepe maker, doughnut maker, candyfloss maker (fair enough, the last few are the kids). Still, I do not personally see the point of a rice cooker when a pan and a pan lid do it just as well.

hopster
    Free Member

But it isn’t a faff. In fact, I would wager it would be more faff getting a rice cooker in and out of the cupboard where it would be stored (if you are anything like me and hates clutter on worktops). But I love gadgets – we have a slow cooker, breadmaker, soup maker, panini press, vegetable steamer, smoothie maker, crepe maker, doughnut maker, candyfloss maker (fair enough, the last few are the kids). Still, I do not personally see the point of a rice cooker when a pan and a pan lid do it just as well.

Every Asian is laughing at you if you don’t get why you should have a rice cooker. 😂

johndoh
    Free Member

Every Asian is laughing at you if you don’t get why you should have a rice cooker.

Good on them. I couldn’t give a stuff what anyone else thinks – I can make boiled rice in a pan that tastes exactly the same as boiled rice from a Chinese takeaway and I have saved £50 on a rice maker. Who’s laughing now?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Do you ever see Chinese restaurants or take aways using saucepans???? FFS.

if I cooked rice at that frequency or volume then yes but I only have it twice a month so I’ll stick with the pot.

As for Asians laughing at us, are rice cookers as common in India…

kelron
    Free Member

I’m questioning the taste of the people who think pouches of microwave rice are a good alternative. Probably costs more than a rice cooker after about 10 meals too.

tayls
    Free Member

Been using a basic cookworks rice cooker for some years now,cooks perfect basmati rice and you can add veg too. £12 from asda at the time, around £20 now.

Cougar

We’ve got a reishunger, on the recommendation of many folks, and it’s great! Handy basket inside for steaming veg over the rice too which makes it even more convenient. Mid-price, about £45 I think, and while I thought Mrs E was buying yet another pointless gadget to clutter the kitchen (see George foreman grill, ice cream maker, popcorn maker etc. for past examples…) I’m a concert.

Rice and accompanying music, fantastic!

jrawarren

Cheapest Tesco one, keep the box and put the receipt in it. When it breaks in less than a year (as it will) take back and exchange for a new one. Same scheme works for their kettles and toasters too #RiceCookerForLife

Kuco

But it isn’t a faff. In fact, I would wager it would be more faff getting a rice cooker in and out of the cupboard where it would be stored (if you are anything like me and hates clutter on worktops). But I love gadgets – we have a slow cooker, breadmaker, soup maker, panini press, vegetable steamer, smoothie maker, crepe maker, doughnut maker, candyfloss maker (fair enough, the last few are the kids)

You’re happy to pull all that shit out of the cupboard but a rice cooker is too much hassle? Do you leave your pan out constantly?

chewkw
    Free Member

How did they cook rice in olden days before rice cookers!?

Rice was cooked in a pot with low heat, steamed in the wok or cooked/steam in bamboo.

This simple £22.00 Cookworks 1.5L Rice Cooker should be sufficient. Nothing fancy.

Cookworks 1.5L

Mine is a Taiwanese Tatung Rice Cooker, exactly as shown below, that I have use almost everyday for nearly 20 years. Looks nothing fancy but it can last for many years. I have a spare one too,

The only cooking appliance I need is my Tatung rice cooker

Tatung Rice cooker

This is the most reliable rice cooker I have ever used. It looks cheap but beat most rice cookers hands down. It does not have moving parts apart from the heat plate contact. The outer part of the rice cooker is just simple steel, the inner part of the rice cooker is aluminium but the container to put rice in is 304 stainless steel, and Not some cheapo aluminium. The usage is also slightly different from the above Argos version, as this version requires to pour a bit of water into the inner aluminium bowl before you put in the rice. It actually half steamed and boil the rice.

The model shown above is the red traditional version but they do have many fancy versions too but expensive. However, if you are going to use it for 30 to 40 or even more years, get one.

Crikey, I just saw the online retail price for Tatung in the UK. But if you happen to visit Thailand for holiday they sell them there too so get one or get three.

Also if you fancy some digital ones just check out all the Japanese rice cookers.

timmys

@Cougar Just in case you haven’t found him.  Highly recommended.

https://youtube.com/@mrnigelng

bigrich

Rice cookers are ace. you only need one thats like that russel hobs. pour in rice, add water, it clicks off and you transfer the pot to the table. perfect rice every time, and so simple you don’t think about it.

as previously said, every family from a culture where rice is the staple have one.

Earl
    Free Member

Asia uses National rice cookers. National became Panasonic now Asia uses Panasonic rice cookers.

nickc

A Zojirushi Rice Cooker here.

It’s supposedly for short grain rice as it’s primarily designed for sushi rice, but it’ll do long grain perfectly well. Plus when you turn it on, it plays Frere Jacques (obviously)

Because It makes rice that’s rice, not a white wet mush, that’s why.

hockropper

I can’t recommend the nutribullet every grain rice cooker enough , it’s £80 but does quinoa and porridge too.

I use one because I always seem to burn the rice to the pan but this cooks it perfectly

nickc

I guess the equivalent is that conversation we (as MTBers) occasionally have with the public. Invariably the convo will come round to how much your bike cost, and you sigh inwardly and tell them, and they say a variation of something like “I’ve got a mountain bike, and it only cost me £150, it’s just as good as yours, it has suspension and loads of gears” and you nod politely.

This is the same.

finbar
    Free Member

A Zojirushi Rice Cooker here

@nickc
    with the rice cooker flex 😎

I’ve got a National one, it’s got a fetching 70s flower pattern on the side and it must be older than me.

nickc

@nickc with the rice cooker flex 😎

It was a wedding gift. I looked up the price of them, and then closed the page quite quickly. It makes great rice, the rendition of Frere Jacques, less so.

oikeith

Reishunger rice cooker purchased!

IdleJon

But it isn’t a faff. In fact, I would wager it would be more faff getting a rice cooker in and out of the cupboard where it would be stored (if you are anything like me and hates clutter on worktops). But I love gadgets – we have a slow cooker, breadmaker, soup maker, panini press, vegetable steamer, smoothie maker, crepe maker, doughnut maker, candyfloss maker (fair enough, the last few are the kids)

You’re happy to pull all that shit out of the cupboard but a rice cooker is too much hassle? Do you leave your pan out constantly?

I thought the same, why would it be more hassle to take a rice cooker out of the cupboard than a saucepan. (Mine’s still boxed on top of a cupboard so IS more hassle to use, but it’s out once or twice a week. 😀 )

The arguments that people make for and against gadgets are very weird aren’t they. Of that list ^ I would argue that I’ve never found a bread maker that makes bread anywhere near as nice as made by hand; soup makers are pointless – I can make a fresh soup in a pan in 25 minutes; a veg steamer is a metal perforated pan that sits over another pan. Or a rice steamer!; and who needs a crepe maker – it’s so easy in a frying pan that my 12 year old daughter makes crepes (or pancakes) every few days. But gadgets, innit. 😀

Btw to those still using pans, boiled rice from a pan doesn’t have the same consistency that properly steamed rice does. Both are nice but boiled rice is not steamed rice.

Cougar

Reishunger rice cooker purchased!

Seems they do a digital rice cooker. No use to me, I’ve never even seen digital rice.

simondbarnes

I’m not sure that I was aware that rice cookers were even a thing before seeing this thread!

Cougar

It’s some sort of Rule 34 corollary, isn’t it. “If it exists, there will be a gadget for it.”

simondbarnes

Very true!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m Chinese and no one cooks rice in a pan

Hmmm, 50% of that is evidently not the case though is it….

sillysilly
    Free Member

Lady at my local Korean restaurant said buy Cuckoo when I asked the question: https://www.cuckoousastore.com

Seen them pop up at local Chinese supermarkets a few times even though they are Korean. Bought one for £60, seems pretty good.

Bunnyhop

Recently I’ve been cooking rice in the microwave.
    Pop washed rice into a microwavable receptacle, 1 part rice, 2 parts water, cook for 3 mins, stand, cook another 3 mins stand, then another two minutes, stand for 2 mins with the lid on. It seems to turn out well.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Rince rice thoroughly….

Rice cooker:
    Rinse, add, water switch on. No need to remember to switch off, no need to worry about boiling over. You can use a saucepan to make tea but a kettle is more convenient.

Edit: wife is Chinese so we eat a lot of rice (too much rice 🙄

nickc

Same here. It’s just too convenient not to use. Put rice in put water in close lid press button. Don’t have to think about it anymore, don’t need extra pan on in the stove , don’t need to check it to see if it’s done, don’t need to drain it.

I know you can do all those things in a pan. Rice cooker just means I don’t need to and I still get perfect rice everytime

mrjmt
    Free Member

The porridge setting isn’t for oat porridge, it’s for congee

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I bought the cheap and small Argos cooker. Its excellent.
    Tonight’s meal is jerk pork loins with rice and beans, onions and herbs.
    At minimum quantity it makes enough rice to have enough for stirfry the following day.

finbar
    Free Member

Nice one.

Fun tip (though my stepmum would kill me for it) – get some miso paste and stir it in with the rice & water before cooking. Yum!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.