Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What replacement rims for a CX / gravel bike?
  • cheers_drive

Spokes on the rear wheel on my Pro 6 are breaking regularly and there is a flat spot in the rim so it’s time for a new rim and hubs.

The current rim is a Stans Alpha 400 32h, would prefer something a bit wider and stronger, tubeless of course. The new Open Pro Disc rim looks nice and is a good price, but perhaps a little lightweight. Should I be looking a narrower MTB rims or wide road disc ones?

martinkiely
    Free Member

Not from personal experience, but a pal of mine has just got some Hunt wheels for his CX bike and so far seems pretty impressed

carboblock
    Free Member

Seconded on the Hunt wheels

joemmo
    Free Member

very impressed withe H+Son Archetype rims on my cx bike – easy to tape up tubeless but I think they do a disc and tubeless specific rim as well. The finish on the rims is great and they have a pointy aero shape that helps stop mud ‘shelving’ on the inside of rim

earl_brutus

I looked at getting some wheels built for my cx but ended up buying a set of roval slx 24 disc, for a good price, theyre **** light @1600g, superstiff and spin fast, and have taken quite a beating so far without needing truing

kilo

I’ve used velocity ailerons for a while now. Good strong rims and tubeless is easy on them.

cheers_drive

Would prefer to rebuild on the existing Hope hubs rather than a whole new set.

I’ve got Archetypes on my road bike, didn’t know they worked tubeless.

ransos
    Free Member

My Stans Grails have lasted really well, and seem to be easier than most for fitting and inflating tubeless tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m going with Crest’s on mine, but haven’t built them yet so can only relay secondhand information that they’re fine with CX tyres at 40psi.

simondbarnes

I run Crests on mine

cheers_drive

I’m thinking of using a Kinlin TL23 or XR22 good price and light, popular with wheel builders

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve got Archetypes on my road bike, didn’t know they worked tubeless.

Yes, taped with 2 layers of Stan’s and some valves cut from old inner tubes, they work really well for me.

hatter

DT have a new CX/gravel rim called the RR481, could be worth a look.

jakd95
    Free Member

Crests on mine too (650b with Wtb Horizons), the deal fine with the low tubeless pressures .

Daffy

Not the Archetype.  The Hydra is lighter, wider better rim.

theotherjonv

good question and answers, ta.  can i add one – I’ve got a set of Kinesis Crosslight wheels (V4) where the rims have started to fray at the spoke holes (nipples corroded, my bad) but the hubs seem OK still so will be looking to rebuild onto a set of mid-low range disc rims as a spare/winter set.

Anyone know what the hubs actually are (someone said Novatec but not sure) so i can start working out what rims and spokes I’d need. Could do it by measuring of course but that would involve me finding the calipers for a start

mlke
    Free Member

Stans grail rims on my bike laced into Hope hubs. I’m happy with them. Good for High pressure road or grippy off road tyres

toby

I have been very pleased with the DT R460d / R470d rims I used for sets of road / offroad wheels I built for my CX / Gravel bike.

In related news, I have a spare 32h R460 rim waiting for me to get round to selling it after switching to a 28h front hub at the last minute. PM me if that’s of any interest.

sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Hunt 4 Season Gravel disc wheels. They are good. Very good. Mainly used on road so far but they are tight and firm and free running. Nice sound from the rear wheel too!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What replacement rims for a CX / gravel bike?’ is closed to new replies.