Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What rear hub? 12mm x 135mm for use with Maxle (or Maxle Lite)
  • messiah
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 are out of the running since I've snapped one axle and bent another.

What other hubs are going to take the abuse?

DT, NukeProof, CK, Hadley? – any experience out there of what will and won't break?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Sun Ringle.

Exellent and bombproof.

messiah
    Free Member

Burgtec?

Which Sun Ringle? There are so many?

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are lots of Sun Ringle hubs…

Stop being so rough Brian!

mboy
    Free Member

DT440 FR is about the best through axle rear hub out there if you ask me… I have one, and it's superb!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Saint M810? £135 at CRC and very nice.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Sun Ringle.

Exellent and bombproof. <

Whoa. I have the Jumping Flea which eat a set of bearings in less then 300 miles. Seems to be chewing its way through the replacements. Just my experince but the web is littered with digruntled Ringle Hub users.

The DT 440 on the other hand – brilliant piece of kit. Thrashed mine through 2.5 years of Highland riding – 2 winters, numerous river crossings etc etc. Could have done with new bearings probably but I reckon there was another 6 months use in them. Star Ratchet is a far better engineering solution than any pawl system and showed no signs of wear whatsoever. Only downside is DT ppc instead of anodising so not quite as durable cosmetically unless your cleaning regime is very fastidious.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bear in mind that the issus with the Hope Pro hubs has been identified as the result of the Maxle Lite design so other hubs may also be affected. A lot of people have been breaking the Hope hubs; I haven't read anything to suggest that other hubs are also vulnerable but given the ubiquitousness of the Hope hubs it may be that you're more likely to hear about them than other hubs.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Lawwill

Reliable, and tough. Pretty sure most users of that one will be happy.

DT specific tools put me off- but I have a Saint front hub which needs a specific rotor tool, 28mm cone spanner etc.. but its also great.

nickegg
    Free Member

+1 for DT440. Just bought a second-hand wheelset with this on the rear. So far so good although it's very early days. Hub looks good and although it looks big it doesn't seem heavy at all.

rideit
    Free Member

The issue is the maxle light has been machined down to save weight, the bearing size used in the Pro2 hub leaves very little material for the hollow axle. The Pro3 hub uses larger bearings and a thicker axle. So swop to a Pro3 or find an original Maxle skewer that is not machined down

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>DT specific tools put me off<

Agreed but the only critical one is the ratchet ring extractor – you can make one out of half a star ratchet and a socket ( needs welding) for circa £20

messiah
    Free Member

I don't see how Hope Pro3 will be any different to Pro2? There is so little material between the bearings and the 12mm hole required for the bolt thru or maxle.

DT an interesting option but I prefer a quicker pick up… the older ones I tried were a bit slow. Are newer ones better?

messiah
    Free Member

Bloke in a shop I spoke too has been running DT 440 hub with maxle lite for six months… good start.

GW
    Free Member

were you using a maxle or maxle lite when you broke the hope Axles?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Have had similar issues (with Maxle, NOT Maxle lite!). So far, a borrowed Sun Ringle Demon and a Mavic DeeTraks hub that I got cheap on ebay have been hassle free. Annoying though, as I built the Mavic into a spare rim I had lying around and it's not tubeless, but I just don't trust the ProII any more.

Hope have been brilliant at sorting me out with replacement axles BTW, but they just keep breaking.

messiah
    Free Member

Mine was with a maxle lite, breaking the axle took three rides. It took one ride to bend the replacement.

goodgrief
    Free Member

got a new 12mm proII axle last night, the new ones have more material in the centre so Hope have recognised the problem

messiah
    Free Member

My replacement from Hope looked the same, and bent where the older one broke… right at the step between the hub bearing and the freehub bearing.

messiah
    Free Member

stevomcd
    Free Member

got a new 12mm proII axle last night, the new ones have more material in the centre so Hope have recognised the problem

They've been making them like that for a while now. They still keep breaking as it's impossible to put any more material into the point where they break (because it's constrained by the through-axle on one side and the bearing on the other).

messiah
    Free Member

Agreed, it looks to me like the size of the bearings is dictating the amount of material available… which is a problems for the 12mm thru axle version where there simply is not enough material for the axle to be aluminium in the current configuration.

The axle is shockingly skinny… hence the bendage and snappage.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

messiah-YGM

messiah
    Free Member

Okay… so…. with a solid BETD axle my hope hub lasted three months before the axle is once again in two parts.

Axles as consumables or a new hub?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You won’t break the Lawwill 🙂

Lummox

hope bulb if you can find one, i have one and it’s been perfect (and quieter)than my old pro 2 that snapped it’s axle. Thats now a QR and working fine the bulb is a bit heavier but is better as it also has a steel freehub so cassettes don’t eat it.

Al

messiah
    Free Member

My last bulb hub had to go to Hope every two years for a new ratchet.

Next.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Hadley-Running them on my Ion,stunning quality.12mm x 150mm

jedi

i use hadley

messiah
    Free Member

Had a chat with Hope and have sent them the two broken axles to have a look at. If they replace them I’m good to go for another 6 months 👿

From a chat with the bloke the SP-AM4 wheelset with the Pro3 hub has a different “stronger” axle configuration and this will be incorporated in the Pro2 EVO hub which was mentioned on this site at Eurobike time.

I’m thinking I’ll hold out for the EVO or get some SP-AM4’s… my disks are a little warped after 2 years banging them off rocks so I could do with new ones.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ll talk to myself again.

Hope are replacing the axle once more for me. If I break it again they will convert my hub to the new EVO version which is retrofitable with a new freehub body and a stronger axle.

This is one of the reasons I like dealing with Hope 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Where can you get the Pro 3 12mm kit? There’s no sign on Hope’s website or the usual online suspects.

Or failing that, replacement (bigger) discs?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What rear hub? 12mm x 135mm for use with Maxle (or Maxle Lite)’ is closed to new replies.