What rear 29 tyre or possible both

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What rear 29 tyre or possible both
  • jayx2a

So today’s muddy ride was a bit slippery with Ardent EXO at the rear. It was struggling to grip at times.

Either looking to upgrade to a winter tyre or something a bit more grippy to use all the time.

Have a high roller EXO at the front.

Terrain is a mix of sticky mud, slippery roots and loose muddy trails.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Stick the high roller on the back, and a shorty up front. That’s my winter/wet setup, not too draggy when it’s dry either. What you have now is what I run in summer.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

DHR2 in dual compound is a fantastic rear tyre. Though Tomhoward’s suggestion is good too

jayx2a

Will have a look at the above thanks!

jayx2a

What’s the difference between the DHF and DHR?

Downhill freestyle downhill race.

The dhf is a great front tyre for grip year round unless it’s really wet and muddy, in which case few tyres work,
    I’ve never been a fan of the dhr and tend to run a minion ss year round, the only time I feel it fail is when I have a rock to get over and it’ll spin out

jayx2a

So would DHF front DHR II be better than my HR II and Ardent for good all round capability?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Downhill freestyle downhill race

Is it not DH Front and DH Rear?

The DHRII and HRII tread patterns are very similar, I certainly wouldn’t buy one to replace the other. I’ve always found the DHF gets a bit overwhelmed when it’s properly muddy, but YMMV.

jayx2a

MY HRII is on the front. The rear Ardent is the main concern, and it’s only a 2.25. HR at front is 2.3.

Was thinking DHF 2.5 front and DHR 2.4 rear.

Think my rims are 30mm so would all fit I guess!

My original Bontrager tyres were 2.4. Not sure why I ended up getting so narrow!

jayx2a

Ignore links, these are the ones thinking:

Front – Maxxis Minion DHF Folding 3C EXO TR Wide Trail MTB Mountain Bike 29″ x 2.5 Tyre (39.99)
    Rear – Maxxis Minion DHR II Folding 3C Exo Tubeless Ready WideTrail 29″ x 2.4 Tyre (39.99)

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Much prefer a dhr2 to a HR2 upfront. Unless it’s dry and rocky, I also prefer a DHR2 to dhf. Shorty great in 2.5, but a bit small in 2.3. Also a bit more drag than DHR2.
    For you, I’d buy a DHR2 for the front and stick the HR2 on the rear. It’ll probably be worn out by the end of winter then just stick the Ardent back on for next “summer”.
    Did I mention that I really like the DHR2 up front? 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yeah, it used to be everyone ran DHFs on both ends because teh DHR was crap. Now loads of people run DHR2s on both ends because they’re mint. (the DHF is still as good as it ever was, but it’s old…)

The other thing is compound- 3C doesn’t last well on the back ime, and dual compound is a bit hairy on the front.

jayx2a

My Ardent 3C seems to have lasted on the bike but are you saying a duel compound is better for the back, so 3C front Duel rear?

My HR might be going on another bike so rear:

Maxxis Minion DHR II Folding EXO Tubeless Ready WideTrail MTB 29″ Tyre Dual compound.

Front – either 3C of the above or 3C DHF 2.5?

“For you, I’d buy a DHR2 for the front and stick the HR2 on the rear.”

Exactly. 2.4 WT 3C DHR2 on the front and whatever HR2 you already have on the back. The 2.4 DHR2 is quite slow on the back so if you want a new rear tyre too, get the 2.3 DHR2 in the Dual compound.

jayx2a

Cheers, so if changing both…

Maxxis Minion DHR II Folding 3C Exo Tubeless Ready WideTrail 29″ x 2.4 (36.99)

Maxxis Minion DHR II Folding EXO TR 29″ X 2.3 (33.99)

jayx2a

Ok cheers! Will order some whilst on offer.

Thanks for all the advice – never know what to choose width/compound wise etc.

I’m guessing wider you go at the back the more drag you get and need to find a decent balance.

jayx2a

So I have compounds sorted in my head, but what I sort of don’t understand is what width to choose and why? All dependent on riding style and where you ride?

2.5 & 2.4 or 2.4 all around or 2.4 and 2.3.

guess there is explanations out there!

jayx2a

More difficult for me as these tyres are not just for downhill but a mix of trails, climbs, bridle paths etc. So a trail/XC tyre rather than a pure downhill really aggressive tyre.

“I’m guessing wider you go at the back the more drag you get and need to find a decent balance.”

It’s not the difference in width that really matters between the DHR2 2.4 and 2.3 – the knobs are MUCH bigger and more widely spaced on the 2.4 which gives it a lot of extra bite in soft ground (just what you need up front) but makes it a far draggier tyre (if you use it on the back).

The DHR2 2.3 Dual is a freakishly good rear tyre, it rolls far faster than it should for a tyre that has so much braking and pedalling and cornering grip. I found it wasn’t that much slower than a Minion SS which is similar to an Ardent in rolling speed. It also wears rather well! I’ve tried it in 2.3 3C and 2.4 Dual and they’re not half as versatile.

jayx2a

Thanks for the info! will get the 2.3 rear.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Probably a good move. I’ve been using a 2.5 shorty up front and a 2.4 DHR on the rear for the past two winters (albeit in 27.5) and the grip is amazing but the drag is best described as good training😀

jayx2a

Trouble is when it’s not been raining the trails dry up pretty quickly as it’s all up pretty high so last think I want is too much drag!

But if the 2.3 dual compound minion is not too far off the ardent (mine is 3c) then that would be ok.

Hopefully the 2.4 3C up front won’t be too much difference from 2.3 HR2. But I might just he talking crap lol.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I like the 2.4 on the back but yep it is a fair bit draggier than the 2.3. I think it gains more grip than it loses speed but that’s always a tradeoff.

Both do the one thing which I reckon makes the difference between a good and great rear- good grip, sure, but when they do slide they slide really nicely and predictably. I’d actually trade a fair amount of outright grip for that.

jayx2a

So drag wise, would there be a noticeable difference between the Ardent 2.25 3C and the DHR 2.3 dual compound when it starts to dry up in places? My trials can get very wet to very dry quite quickly so ideally want something that can give a good balance for all conditions and be able to roll well for some more cross country riding.

I know I can’t have it all, but think I would prefer a little more rolling speed over grip as I’m not an aggressive rider and weed out at all the real hefty drops etc!

“So drag wise, would there be a noticeable difference between the Ardent 2.25 3C and the DHR 2.3 dual compound when it starts to dry up in places?”

I would never try to use an Ardent 2.25 over the winter here on the South Downs, it’s far too prone to wheelspin when pedalling and sliding when braking or cornering in the wet/mud. And once the 3C version loses its edges it’ll be even worse. If the DHR2 Dual is much slower (or even at all) I’ll be shocked.

bill oddie

Skinnier tyres usually give more grip in sloppy mud. The wider you go the more they skate around. So I would take the thinner option. Does mean grip is reduced on wet roots and rocks a bit though

I run a well worn magic mary out back in the winter. It is a bit draggy though.

Sounds to me like you need a 2nd set of wheels! One grippy, one whizzy

jayx2a

@chiefgrooveguru

Yeah I’m on South Downs and finding my Ardent likes a good spin and once it’s gone its gone!

Some people seem to prefer an Ardent Race 2.3 but pretty sure that will be just as slippy at the back.

Ideally I do need a 2nd set of wheels but no spare cash – just enough for some tyres so need to get a compromise for all year I guess.

My HRII up front is the 2.3 version and by all reports not a great rolling tyre either. Looks like my current set up is indeed very wrong lol.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.