Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What: REALLY dark shades?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not necessarily cycling specific but something a bit more outdoorsy than "standard" shades (so I guess I mean a bit wrap around). I've got some Oakley's with some Rupp & Hubrach prescription transition lenses which are great when I've got my helmet on and a bit of cover from the peak. They go dark but the sun here is REALLY bright even on cooler days. I've got some standard Oakley square wires and some Rayban Aviators but they're the same, just not quite dark enough.

Anyone used Fuglies or WileyX glasses? Or got any suggestions?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Get some Cebe 4000 mountaineering glasses – too dark to drive in

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Any Oakleys with black iridium lenses.

LeeW

I have some Cebe glasses, which I guess are skiing specific, they're pretty dark, wrap around stylee. I got them from Black's for around £60.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Have you tried Polarised lenses?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I thought polarised took the shine and reflection off things? That's not really the problem I have. It's the fact that the sun here is really bright. My current 'scription lenses go to about 80% but I'm after something that blocks as much light as possible.

Maybe a mirrored lense would help?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Its the glare that hurts your eyes I can't imagine needing anything darker than my cat 3 Polarised lenses which have been fine on white sandy beaches and snow slopes in the midday sun.

Category 3 = General Purpose: strong sunlight – transmission <10%
    Category 4 = Special Purpose: exceptionally strong sunlight & high glare conditions – transmission <5%

Where are you that is so bright, at altitude?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Western Oz.

Even with my transition lenses at full darkness I'm still a bit squinty!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Close fitting Black Iridiums would be my choice. The fit is important as it really helps cut out the glare and means that the only light getting through comes through the lenses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Black iridium transmits like 9% light I think. It's a big difference from the 20% (I assume that's what you mean) you currently have.

Have you tried welding goggles, for the Mad Max look?

You might also try looking in a climbing shop for mountaineering shades, for use on glaciers and such. Although I think Oakley's dark ones are about as dark as they get since they are made for the California desert and suchlike.

Kuco

I've got some Adidas Evileyes with some Space lenses. iirc it's similar technology to what astronauts use.

vinnyeh

Ti iridium from oakley?

Else, we used to wear glacier glasses back in the day- they were even cool for a while- like cfh says, a close fit to cut out glare is important. you need to be pretty secure about how you look if you're wearing them though….

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

its the aphex twin

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Years ago i had some black iridium Oakley Frogskins, which i had to change once i passed my driving test as they were so dark I could hardly see through them. Found them while clearing up the house last week and yes, they are very, very dark – too dark for normal use so probably spot on for your needs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

matthewlhome, are they original ones with the metal hinge? If so, would you sell?

Please?
    Pretty please?

PLEASE!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

They are from about 1992/3 – The hings is plastic (or rather 'o-matter') i am afraid. Crystal black frame and black iridium.

I thought i looked so cool. Not so sure now though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plastic hinges? Not interested…! Thanks, though!

I had a pair of originals, way back when. Left them on a blonde in France and have regretted it ever since. The glasses, you understand, not the blonde…

molgrips
    Free Member

Classic CFH 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm ok welding goggles are a teeny bit OTT

Just ordered some cat4 polarized glasses from the states for $20. dark lense with a blue reflective coating.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What: REALLY dark shades?’ is closed to new replies.