Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What quality track pump?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Exciting thread or what? 😳

In the market for a new track pump, up to about £70, want an accurate gauge, the facility to let out air and a solid valve head. I’m fed up of using a digital pressure gauge and track pump separately so a good gauge with detail in the low pressure end is important (typically run pressures 18-25psi and am anal about details).

Any recommendations?Thinking about one of the lenzeyne digital ones at the mo

otsdr
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne digital, overall I would recommend it. The air chuck takes a bit to get used to, but otherwise is reliable (may want to check/nip the allen bolt on the back of it).

The gauge only shows whole numbers on the psi scale, and 1 fractional on the bar/atm one; it also has a -0.2bar difference when compared to a Schwalbe Airmax pressure gauge.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Up to £70! 😮

Personally I just go for one that’s reliable. Accuracy on the gauge doesn’t matter to me, so long as it’s consistent and the tyres feel right.

I’ve got a Joe Blow, which is a bit rubbish (terrible connector, struggles seating tubeless) and a cheapo Halfords “Bikehut” job which is simple but fairly good, and does a decent job of inflating tubeless. The two don’t agree with each other on PSI, although I feel the Halfords one is closer.

No ability to let out air, other than take the pump head off and press the valve in, which is not that hard to do really 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Do Lezyne still have the screw on head? I have one and pumping-wise its great – really don’t like the screw on head though, so would look for something different if I needed another. Lezyne will probably last forever though, so I’m stuck with it!
    Specialized make a good one.

otsdr
    Free Member

The TLR is pretty useless for quickly setting up before a ride – the air chamber needs to equalize first, so your tyre may end up at half the initial pressure; you can close the chamber before moving to the second wheel, but it is still a bit annoying.

The Lezyne is screw-on/off for Schrader, <push on valve, push sleeve, quarter turn>, <pull sleeve, remove> for Presta.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers guys @deadkenny, it’s a for my Christmas present, can’t think of any other bike stuff I need so it’s that or a couple of jumpers from M&S 😳

ratherbeintobago

I’ve just bought a Rennkompressor which is a thing of great beauty (and weight) but the gauge wouldn’t suit your needs.

austy
    Free Member

I have a SKS Aircon 6.0. Large volume, big gauge don’t know if its accurate or not but my tyres feels the same every time I get to that pressure.

Had it for a good few years now and still going strong, got a good write up on pinkbike.

TiRed

Joe Blow and an upgraded Smart Head. Mine’s been excellent and replaced an original Silca that I lost in a move.

Northwind

Joe Blow Mountain. The gauge is for a lower range as it doesn’t have to do road tyres, it has a proper quick release lever with none of that screw on bollocks… Er, not entirely sure it has the ability to let out air though.

Lezyne as ever specialize in making beautifully made pumps that are nice to look at, nice to touch, but not especially good at inflating tyres.

Kamakazie

Birzman pumps get treated consistently well and their screw on chuck is the best I’ve used. The Joe Blow and Flash Charger both seemed solid as will most pumps anywhere near that sort of money. A digital guage should help with accuracy though.

I’ve found the Lezyne screw on chuck to be a real problem with about half the presta valves I’ve tried it on. Mine is an older model though so the new versions might be better.

BoardinBob

My Lezyne Dirt Drive is lovely. Lifetime warranty and gets 99.9% of tubeless tyres up in a few pumps without having to resort to my Airshot. Only slight criticism is the pressure gauge is laughably inaccurate but I keep everything consistent with a separate pressure gauge.

DezB
    Free Member

Lezyne as ever specialize in making beautifully made pumps that are nice to look at, nice to touch, but not especially good at inflating tyres

Well, that’s utter bollocks Mr Wind.

They (I have 3 different Lezyne pumps) pump up superbly well.
    Screwing them onto the valve is just a bit of a hassle though – especially when you get those presta valves that stick and you have to unscrew it and back on again… And those times it takes the valve core with it..! Apart from that they are marvellous at inflating tyres.

Northwind

DezB – Member

They (I have 3 different Lezyne pumps) pump up superbly well.
    Screwing them onto the valve is just a bit of a hassle though – especially when you get those presta valves that stick and you have to unscrew it and back on again… And those times it takes the valve core with it..!

Sounds completely shite tbh! But even once you deal with all of that (the ABS2 chuck is better than the old one btw), my overdrive was slower to inflate tyres, and less good for tubeless. Joe Blow Mountain by comparison is rattly and cheap feeling, but half the price and better at the job.

What’s really odd is that Lezyne keep reinventing their screw on chuck, and each time it does get better, the current one does more or less work as long as you use it right… But they also make a perfectly good dual valve, flip lever head, just like everyone else does and has done for decades- they just don’t fit it to their nicer pumps, I assume because it’s not pretty enough.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ended up plumping for the joe blow dualie, under budget but does what I’m after from the looks of things

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/AIRSHOT-TUBELESS-INFLATOR/1951 so you can inflate tubeless tyres without a compressor?

ferrals
    Free Member

Never ever needed anything but a track pump for tubeless. Buy tubeless ready tyres and it just seems a non-issue.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That dualie looks pretty good with the low volume gauge and wide barrel.

kayak23

Having used the Lezyne ABS2 pump head on a mates pump, I’d take it off and throw it in the middle of a lake and get a normal headed one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What quality track pump?’ is closed to new replies.