Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What "protection" tyres for Finale Liguria? [sorry]
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can’t wait until October for my XC/AM trip with Riviera Bike. But they have already advising to bring “protection” tyres. I assume this is to minimise pinch-flats on rocky terrain which would hold-up the group. This seems sensible.

I usually use 60a single-ply Maxxis ADv, HR or Ardent everywhere and very rarely pinch-flat. I’ve tried dual-ply HR tyres before and they’re sooo heavy. So I’m not sure what to get for the trip.

Any useful advice?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Having been and ridden with RB, double ply, wouldn’t consider anything else, except maybe a reliable tubeless set up with massix UST (~1.5 ply).

wrecker
    Free Member

I went UST (conti RQs) didn’t have a single issue. There are/were a lot of thorns (and effing great big rocks) in areas and even the guides suffered punctures. Take a LOT of tubes and as many spares as you dare.
    Enjoy Buzz, you’re in for a treat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    winstonsmith

dh innertubes will be easier and cheaper, but it’s not that rocky anyway

johnny

Went to Finale/Molini with Molini Freeride in July, I was running a 2.4 ADvantage FR (dual ply) up front and a 2.3 dual ply high roller at the back. Both good sidewalls and fairly fast rolling tread, good in the dry, as you find there! I wouldn’t worry about weight, unless you’re a real fast climber- most of the riding is uplifted, and you won’t notice the weight descending. You’ll be out most of the day riding, so it won’t be about storming up hills or along the flat…

Stick plenty of electrolyte in your pack. Have fun!

I’m not jealous…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Some of it is very very rocky, depends which ones they take you down. Careful saying cross country, they take that as you saying you want to cycle up mountains… 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lol. I don’t mind cycling/pushing up mountains normally, but not with fat double-ply tyres! The site suggests a typical day is 1000m climbing, 3000m uplift so 4000m descending.

OK so it’s shallow-tread double-ply/LUST tyres needed then, either DH tubes or tubeless.

Chaaars

MRanger156
    Free Member

When you going? I’m there for a week from the 6th October.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ll be missing you then, as I’m going Sat 20th Oct.

Have a good trip.

juan
    Free Member

Front you want a HR2.35 either dual ply or if you’re light and technical a LUST. Make sure it’s a super tacky. Or if you think you’re up for it a minion DHF ST.
    On the rear it depends, I have used a Xmark, an Ardent and a HR. All are good, depends what you are looking for. You could use a minion DHF in 2.35 as well. Same as per the front one wall wise just not ST no real point on the rear.
    DH tyre will be fine even uphill. 1000m of ascent is by no mean a lot. Plus triora is super fast and as not much rocks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Make sure it’s a super tacky”

Interesting but is the terrain especially greasy, e.g. all wet limestone or chalk?

I only ever use 60a/70a compound even in the winter mud-clay, roots, limestone mix locally. I tried STs once and they were like riding though glue – slow and steady downhill and exhausting uphill.

Am happy to be corrected, just concerned about using ST compound tyres.

unklehomered
    Free Member

slow and steady downhill

you might be greatful of that 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Aye you may be right 😆

juan
    Free Member

ST works better when try/hard terrain.

ark1
    Free Member

I was there in july dual ply is the way to go had a minion st on the front and a hr on the back both single ply but had punctures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What "protection" tyres for Finale Liguria? [sorry]’ is closed to new replies.