• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What printer
  • Kahurangi

sigh, so I should probably buy my own printer.

Mostly for documents, could probably go black and white TBH. Wireless would be good but not absolutely essential. It’s been a few years since I’ve needed to do colour! A scanner would also be beneficial although Office Lens on my phone does a decent job most of the time…

I’m a bit fed up with hp and epson after they have refused to play nicely with aftermarket ink cartridges, the robbing barstewards. Are Brother still good?

I figure a half decent mono laser costs as much as a colour inkjet…?

phil5556

HP with ink on demand.

(I have no first hand experience but will be getting one when our current ink runs out)

Northwind

Aye, that’s what I did- I got the absolute cheapest HP wireless one that did instant ink and it’s worked out great.

molgrips
    Free Member

An HP with ‘instant ink’. It’s like £2 a month for 50 sheets or whatever, and the ink arrives in the post. No more £45 cartridge replacement jobs.

tthew

Can’t argue with the instant ink recommendations above. Same conclusions on a similar thread last week.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If you don’t need colour then a mono laser is worth considering.

I bought a Brother mono laser with wireless about 3 years ago for £50 and it’s still on its original toner thing and drum. No ink to clog and just works first time, every time.

molgrips
    Free Member

In fairness to my HP it’s simply worked without a single issue since we’ve had it. Doesn’t clog, and we don’t use it often either.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I can recommend an HP Envy. Defo go wireless…can print off any device that is connected to your network then…phones, tablets etc. The Envy does scanning too. Cheap, works well, photo quality prints unto A3 too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine is an Envy, but it’s not A3. I now have Envy envy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m a bit fed up with hp and epson after they have refused to play nicely with aftermarket ink cartridges, the robbing barstewards

Thing is, not everyone realises the very cheap price of the printer is because they are subsidised by the cartridges, so they try to protect their revenue. That said, most people have paid for the true price of the printer after a few years of cartridges and are then chucking away money. Then the printer breaks or irreparably clogs up so they’re binned and another printer bought. I’ve got three in the loft and my latest one is struggling (though it’s a nice combi scanner/printer/fax… yes, fax!).

Terrible wasteful disposable consumer items.

Not convinced the cartridgeless subscription ink ones are any better. Heads surely still clog up and wastes vast amounts of ink in cleaning them.

I may go with a laser next, and just mono will do as rarely need colour print (that said, recent concert ticket insisted had to print in colour for some weird reason). Last few printers I’ve bought could do photo printing, but I just don’t print photos any more.

A scanner would also be beneficial although Office Lens on my phone does a decent job most of the time…

Same. Phone is quicker and does a decent enough job for a lot of stuff. Though my scanner has a sheet feeder, but I have to feed one at a time anyway as it has a habit of pulling two pages through at the same time. Does scan everything into one PDF though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have an hp envy 5010 as it was the cheap one.
    Instant ink has been working for me. Scanner is getting used regularly and the doublesided printing make it a little more useful.

It’ll print a decent photo too when i get the right paper….

Flaperon

I would also recommend a mono laser (although colour ones are relatively cheap, just a bit bulky).

Ink doesn’t dry out in the cartridges nor does it bleed if the paper gets damp.

HP do a series of cheap wireless ones (although it seems to be a headache printing to them from Windows 10).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bit bulky but a second hand small office laser printer. About the size of a large microwave. Built to do lots of work.

TiRed

Brother Wi-fi mono laser has been great. Fast and cheap to run. And easy to use from the phone too. Have an inkjet as well but barely use it except for scanning. Colour is an overrated luxury that is easy to live without.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I got this colour laser, really small and prints direct from iPhone, iPad and Mac wirelessly.

https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/xerox-phaser-6020/135322

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mine is an Envy, but it’s not A3. I now have Envy envy.

My mistake, it doesn’t do a3. A3 printing was one of my requirements when choosing as the kids often need it for school stuff, but the additional cost of that capability was to rich so I ditched it and determined for the odd occasion they need a3 printing i’ll Do it at work. So no need for envy envy!

Still a good printer though.

z1ppy

I have a 1999 Hp laserjet 2100, it’s ace and has outlasted any number of printer/MFD’s (one part breaks and you have an expensive paperweight), so I’d agree with a small mono laser.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What printer’ is closed to new replies.