Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what price might you recommend saving for a half decent gaming laptop?
  • racefaceec90

was just wondering what any pc gaming experts might recommend as to saving an amount for a gaming laptop that can play all the modern games/retro also that would be good for a few years without having to upgrade.

would it be possible to buy one about £500-600 or would i realistically be looking at £1000 plus.

i would rather get a laptop than a desktop as less space taken up but would consider a desktop too if it really would be better for the money paid.

thanks in advance

GeForceJunky

Seen a few reasonable offers under £800 recently for laptops with 3060 gpus, which is the minimum I’d look for. One thing to pay attention to is the GPU power, one brands 3060 isn’t the same as another’s if they have power limited it to save heat.

tartanscarf

Got my sons for £850 just before Christmas and it’s been really good. I did upgrade the memory (£35’ish) a few weeks back as my 8gb spec was not great for Call of Duty Warzone. Running fine now. Bought from AWD-IT, excellent backup service too.

tartanscarf

Sorry just noticed the OP was looking for a laptop, not PC.

Cougar

What you need there at that price point is a console.

racefaceec90

thanks for the replies

tbh i will consider a desktop if it meant getting more for the money.

cougar ha i have too many consoles currently (about 5 of them atm). not the next gen ones though but was thinking of going pc tbh as i have wanted to for a long time now.

i did buy a really cheap laptop new from an amazon special offer (was £107 reduced from £170 odd) that i can play some retro games on, but it is nowhere near powerful enough to run any modern games unfortunately.

fooman

I bought my son a Asus TUF last year £500 or so think it was an open box return but looked brand new, seems to play whatever Steam downloads he has.

TheFlyingOx

Cougar – Full Member

What you need there at that pricepoint is a console.

Like clockwork 😆

Flaperon

I reckon a used or open-box one for £600 should be pretty good. Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse and filter the laptops by discrete graphics. I got a Razer Blade for better than half price last year when they gave an extra 30% off.

They’re heavier than you’d expect though especially if you’re dragging them around. Worth it though, I’ve been taking mine on work trips where I get to fly for 14 hours to spend a week locked in a crap hotel.

b230ftw
    Free Member

that can play all the modern games/retro also that would be good for a few years without having to upgrade.

You’d be looking at £1000 minimum for the desktop alone to manage this requirement. And it probably wouldn’t run new triple A titles too well after a couple of years.

Cougar

Like clockwork 😆

I was serious, because

You’d be looking at £1000 minimum for the desktop alone to manage this requirement. And it probably wouldn’t run new triple A titles too well after a couple of years.

It’s not what the OP asked and I know as well as anyone that answers of “Linux” to any question that starts “I’ve got this Windows PC and…” is annoying as shit. But that’s not what I’m doing here, rather I think that the OP’s requirements are unrealistic so was suggesting an alternative.

If I were speccing a gaming desktop I’d be budgeting north of a grand. A laptop, at least half as much again. The OP’s budget will probably cover a decent graphics card.

… which is why I didn’t buy one and got an Xbox instead. You could absolutely get a half decent laptop for £500, but it won’t “play all the modern games/retro also that would be good for a few years without having to upgrade,” not while I’ve got a hole in my arse.

If you want a gaming rig for £500 then you have three options. 1) sack the PC idea and get an X|S / PS5; 2) revise your budget considerably; 3) manage your expectations as to what you’re going to be playing on it.

I have a desktop PC largely built from other people’s cast-offs. It plays retro-esque games at a reasonable lick, but it is by no means a “gaming PC.” If I want to play Forza in 4k HDR I’m going to need the eggsbox.

flyingpotatoes

Have a look at Dell outlet.
    There’s a few Alienware laptops with 3070 graphics for £1368
    With code DOALIEN12 for an extra 12% off bringing it down to £1204.

mattyfez

Laptops, gaming laptops have thermal issues and the cpus /gpus are lower level than the desktop equivalents otherwise they’d just cook themselves.

A laptop is simply the wrong form factor for proper gaming.
    Get a desktop or whatever the latest xbox/PlayStation is.

b230ftw
    Free Member

It’s not what the OP asked

I literally quoted the OPs requirements and they said they were open to a desktop, which would be a better option considering their budget and requirements.

branes

Laptops, gaming laptops have thermal issues and the cpus /gpus are lower level than the desktop equivalents otherwise they’d just cook themselves.

Came here to say this too. Unless you’re travelling forget a laptop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.