• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What price a life? £150…
  • tomhoward

Apparently

Not sure what I’m more angry about, that she was fined £150 for being negligent enough to kill someone, that it has happened at all, or the comments on the article (pro tip, don’t read them)

RIP sir, thoughts to your family and friends

Nick

Sad, horrible event for everyone, not sure whether £150 or £150000000 makes any difference.

Will add “look out of cab rear window/open cab door slowly” to an already long list of there-but-for-god*-go-I things to remember.

* I don’t believe in god

sas78

Jeez. Awful story for all involved.

Will make me think more about how close I ride past vehicles.

project
    Free Member

AS most cabs have central locking, the driver must have unlocked the doors, and on tx cabs the black cab type, the doors hinge from the back not the front like cars do, also there is a thick rear pillar to reduce visibility from inside the cab. Where as the Peugot and Mercedes van based cabs have sliding doors, wich have a sign at the back saying DOORS OPENING.

Sad its happened but it does happen all to often, just allow cabs plenty of door space.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Allow any car plenty of space. You only get doored once…

ulysse
    Free Member

Non custodial sentence was the right decision in my opinion, based on what we read in the news report there

milky1980
    Free Member

Dead at 26 due to someone being stupid and it costs then £150? Shocking. As for the comments below 😯

Got doored by a taxi passenger last April, it happens so quickly it’s scary. I was being careful to avoid it and still got done. Be careful people.

alanl
    Free Member

My OH has connections with the family of the victim. To say they are dismayed is an understatement.
    The Taxi Driver is facing other charges, but again they seem to be pretty minor, so a small fine is expected. Most of the complaints are toward Leicester City Council, who speak a lot about providing cycle facilities, yet the people who use cycles say the facilities are useless (they are).
    Where the chap was killed, outside the Rail Station, there was a call to make all stopping of vehicles there illegal, it already is, as it is double yellows, but, apparently, taxis can stop there, but the Council say they can do nothing about that – yet they seem to be able to stop traffic in many other places throughout the town centre, so why not make one lane for cycles only?
    In other places they have shut one lane of traffic, and made it 2 way cycle lanes – it is now more dangerous than the 3 lanes of traffic were before, as pedestrians and cyclists coming the other way are always in both lanes of the cycle path.
    In other places, London Road is wide, one lane each way, they painted a cylce path on each side of the road, a metre wide, that’d be fine, as traffice can easily keep one metre away, but then they started putting bollards/islands on the middle of the road, making the lanes narrower by one metre each side, so now cars have to bear left, toward the cycle lane whenever there is a bollard in the way.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sad, horrible event for everyone, not sure whether £150 or £150000000 makes any difference.

Because, like a life, £15000000 is worth more than £150

chrisdw
    Free Member

The comments at the bottom are scary. They always are on articles involving cyclists on roads.

I don’t understand people.

falkirk-mark

maybe its time taxi doors do not open in the traffic lane unless the driver presses a button to allow this (how hard would this be in this day and age). Some of those comments are the work of complete arseholes.

milky1980
    Free Member

It was the passenger side that opened on me, into a cycle lane in a No Drop-off double yellow zone. The police officer that attended didn’t care one bit about any of that, he just gave me ‘advice’ that filtering down the cycle lane isn’t a good idea! I’ve got a complaint ongoing about it with the police.

We need the current rules enforced, both on the street and in the courts, to make any difference to our safety. Sadly this is a long way off 🙁

bails

Just seen on the BBC that it wasn’t injuries from the door that was responsible for the cyclist’s death. It was being run over by a van that killed him.

I’ve not seen anything saying that the van driver is facing any charges. Surely the van was being driven too close to the cyclist. I mean that’s exactly the kind of scenario you’d see in a hazard perception test.

skids
    Free Member

I’ve not seen anything saying that the van driver is facing any charges. Surely the van was being driven too close to the cyclist. I mean that’s exactly the kind of scenario you’d see in a hazard perception test.

It’s not like that, it’s a busy city centre ringroad cars are pretty much nose to tail, the cyclist probably got knocked into the middle of the carriageway

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What price a life? £150…’ is closed to new replies.