Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What pressure for a Rocket Ron 29 (overreaction content)?
  • Kryton57

So my front Ron washed out several times on a sharp loose gravel down approach-up out LH bend whilst racing last night, losing me several seconds per lap. Its tubeless at 28psi.

Is the pressure right (for racing)? Its seemed fine everywhere else an could this could very well be an overeaction to my limited skills 😀

Captain_Sponge

How light/heavy are you?

Kryton57

165lbs, 12st exactly.

DanW
    Free Member

Probably skillz but also 28psi seems a touch high (assuming you aren’t much heavier than me @ 80kg). I think I ran them at 22psi (f), 24.5 (r). Also depends on what you are using to measure the tyre pressure. My Topeak track pump reads 5-10psi higher than my digital pressure gauge! Doesn’t matter what the number is but you can experiment going lower until things get squirmy or the rim is dinged. I hated Rons on a 26er but people seem to generally like them in 2.25 on a 29er…

andyr
    Free Member

I’m 90Kg/200lb ish and run mine at about 23psi tubeless

Might have just been a bad surface.

Assuming it’s an Evo version and not the crappy performance line? If it is – get rid.

Kryton57

Well, I’m using a park track pump, 28 front 30 rear, might try lower next week then. The rear is surviving with a tube & tyre patch after I cut it a few weeks back.

I really don’t want to ding the ring on some expensive wheels though.

They are 2.1’s though. And performance DC. Before I get complaints about the latter they’ve been fine everywhere apart from this one spot, so its probably me.

ks562
    Free Member

I’m 9st 8 and run the rocket ron (2.2) on the front at 19/20 PSI for really loose gravelly tracks (especially somewhere like Cathkin Braes). I used to run it at 25 and found myself washing out. Obviously can be down to other factors too (body position etc) but I think lowering your pressure would help.

njee20
    Free Member

165lbs, 12st exactly.

Isn’t 12 stone 168lbs…? You’re more like 11.8!

I run more like 23-24 on mine.

AlexSimon

I know you already know it’s an overreaction, but if it feels fine everywhere else, then why touch it.

You can’t expect an xc tyre to grip everywhere, so just put it down to the compromise vs conditions.

Of course, if you’ve never ever rim punctured or dinged a rim, then you can lower it until you do, then up it a little like everyone else does 🙂

nickc

personally I’d run something a bit grippier on the front, but I know what you racers are like 😆

I’d run about 20-25psi (70kg)

bikebouy
    Free Member

20 ! WTF is 20 ! that’s like the pressure in a crisp bag..

You lot, whatever happened to 60psi and a grin ?

Dear God.

Next you’ll be using insulating tape instead of valve caps..

😆

Kryton57

Good grief, insulating tape? That’s at least 5g, I run with nowt, it’s less rotating weight, and faster with the co2 if required.

Even though a Snakeskin Ron Evo is a mere £32 from Germany, I’ll try a lower pressure next week first, as these DC performance versions are a bargain for what they are giving me. 6 months of the Ralph has it almost at Thunderburt levels of height, and it was £16.

If the worst happens I’ll go Evo front DC performance rear, I’ve no issues with the way that’s behaving even in mud. Don’t understand why schwalbe won’t realease the compound details through.

adsh
    Free Member

sharp loose gravel down approach-up out LH bend

I don’t understand this was it down or up before or after?

As well as tyre pressure you could look to see if you could get more of your weight over the front and if running your fork more compliant (and your shock less so) would help too. However if the gravel is moving I doubt anthying’s going to make much odds compared to line.

You racing your Anthem now – still have your Enigma?

Kryton57

I was approaching downhill where the trail goes from grass to loose gravel quickly uphill on a sharp left turn – sharp enough to have to brake to about 5mph before you get thier. I guess the fork is unloading, the wheel turning and my weight going backwards all at once. The front would just wash to the right/outside of the bend.

You racing your Anthem now – still have your Enigma?

Yep. I quite often take it into the woods for a lunch blast, its a lot of fun, I just prefer the Anthem for racing. I’ve changed the fork recently to a 120mm Reba from the 100mm Sid but have yet to see how that affects things.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Over reaction? Shirley not…..does’nt sound like you at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What pressure for a Rocket Ron 29 (overreaction content)?’ is closed to new replies.