Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What postage for classified sale?
  • minzo
    Free Member

sold something through the classifieds and got paid through PayPal. What type of postage should I use, do I get them to sign for it so I can prove they received it
    thanks

andrewh
    Free Member

If it’s cheap and cheerful 2nd class standard will be fine, say £1-£20.
    If it’s a whole bike for £lots then insured currier.
    Anything in between is a grey area.
    What did you agree with the purchaser, if it goes walkies is it his problem or yours, is proof of posting sufficient or does he require proof of delivery?

minzo
    Free Member

I Presume it would be my problem if they (forks) went missing as he can stop the payment through PayPal if he doesn’t receive. I think I will get him to sign to cover myself

Northwind

Absolutely- unless you agree otherwise with the buyer, they remain your problem until delivered. So, insurance is a must, proof of delivery is a good idea (and not expensive)

Other than that- some people seem to expect next day delivery, personally if I want something fast I ask for it and expect to pay for it, when it’s “£20 posted” I think it’s reasonable to expect it to come by the least frilly method.

minzo
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Recorded.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t see the point in recorded-you can claim on any RM service if you get a receipt, cover is automatic us to £46.

john_l
    Free Member

But it stops all the “I didn’t get it/yes you did” debates.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve never had any, sold hundreds here and ebay.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Best to get some sort of signed-for postage service, for your own peace of mind as much as anything else.

Also, sign up for Quidco or topcashback – and look for postage or parcel companies through their search engine. Quite a few companies offering decent levels of cashback.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Waste of money.

Kuco

I use 1st class for cheap items then recorded delivery for the more expensive stuff. I always take the price of postage into account when pricing something for sale and will mention the price cheaper if they are willing to collect.

bruneep

cynic-al – Member

Waste of money.

So when I sold something on another forum, the buyer claimed he never received item. He may well have not received it, however it would appear that later on he seem to have history of saying he never received goods.

So I refund him, he has goods and (my) money. I claim off RM, which takes a day and an age to to resolve this relies on the buyer filling out claim form as well which he doesn’t do……. so my claim was rejected by RM

So for the sake of an extra few pence for recorded its always the method I use now.

a11y

Always recorded for me nowadays – been bitten once by a dodgy (non-bike related) buyer and it’s worth the extra IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

Waste of money.

It’s 77p, Al.

I’ll lend you it, if you’re short 8)

crazy-legs

Admittedly I’ve not sold that much on here – few bits and pieces over the years – but I always use Special Delivery and the buyers I’ve dealt with (who have all been great) have never complained about the extra £1 on the postage. I think it’s seen as a bit of an extra guarantee, they place extra trust in me to dispatch it quickly and have full traceability on it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What postage for classified sale?’ is closed to new replies.