Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • What portable bike washer?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Needs to be self contained
    battery would be ace
    2+ bikes capacity

Aware of Worx hydroshot which is my current “want” but spendy at £100

SirHC

Worx is brilliant, well worth it IMO.

Easily does two bikes and takes up less space than the karcher.

iamanobody
    Free Member

anyone seen any deals on a worx?

monkeyboyjc

+1 for worx, mines been ace. Combine it with a big water carrier in the back of the car for multiple bikes.

dc1988

I got a “used” one from Amazon, it was a returned item but brand new and was about £76. Might be some offers on there at the moment

mattbee

Worx is well worth the money.

iamanobody
    Free Member

no battery though

johnw1984
    Free Member

Worx user here too. Mine does 2 bikes properly, could probably stretch to a 3rd at a push. 2 3/4 buckets I can get out of the battery.

I’m going to get a water container to take with me soon so I can wash the bikes at the end of the ride rather than leaving them till it’s light outside again 🙂

It’s a lot better than the Mobi one I used to have.

benp1

Worx here too, very happy with it so far, it’s been great

aide

I just use a 7 litre pressure sprayer from screw fix, under a tenner, doesn’t take batteries – just a wee bit pumping up by hand. Could probably do a couple of bikes in 1 fill. Could fill it up in a river if needed or carry extra water if more needed

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of 12v ones before – the original Dirtworker (got nicked) and something more recent. Neither were great, whereas the Worx is worth every penny – would definitely buy again

edhornby

came here to say the same as aide – better for the environment and less faff because they never run out of charge

iamanobody
    Free Member

worx it is then – need to find where cheapest now

blokeuptheroad

I got a Mobi V15 as a Christmas present and I’m very pleased with it. It’s not jet wash powerful but perfect for cleaning mud off the bike at this time of year. Holds 15 litres, just enough for two quite thorough washes and runs off a car 12V DC outlet. Seems well made and no leaks or drips.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had the original dirt worker but upgraded to the worx hydroshot. 25l Jerry can of warm water and a spare battery. 3 bikes with ease and so much better than the dirt worker.

rossburton
    Free Member

Has anyone tried using a Worx to wash a dog? I guess I’m asking can you turn the pressure right down to a gentle hose so I don’t blast my dog’s feet off?

kayak23

Has anyone tried using a Worx to wash a dog?

I believe there are two models, one of which has two pressure settings which I think is for that sort of purpose.

To the Op. Another vote for the Worx. I was using a cheap 12v pump kit from EBay, which for 25 notes was amazing and worked brilliantly. The Worx however is way more convenient. You just have to remember to charge the battery.

I made a case for my eBay one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You guys that have used the hydroshot and the eBay caravan pump types, what’s the difference in pressure like between the two?

Sticky clay on tyres is pretty heavy on water use with my caravan pump spray. I’m wondering if the hydroshot is any better.

feed

Has anyone tried using a Worx to wash a dog? I guess I’m asking can you turn the pressure right down to a gentle hose so I don’t blast my dog’s feet off?

The standard Worx has a High/Low button and also variable spray angle settings. Also if you use it with the short wand it will only wash at the low setting (unless of course you do the magnet hack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWA-5vwteHc ).

jairaj

By caravan pump spray, do you mean the cheap Ebay/Amazon ones? Similar to what Kayak posted above?

The Worx is much more powerful and cleans off claggy mud stuck in tyre treads much quicker than my Ebay special. The Ebay special I had to hold right up to the tyre to shift the mud with the Worx hydroshot it cleans out the tread from my normal standing position that I use to rinse the whole bike, don’t need to stick the lance right up against the tyre.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As above. It’s possible to get the pressure down for dog washing, but she really doesn’t like the noise.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I had one of the ebay ones as above. It worked really well for two washes then never worked again. Make your own mind up about what that means.

benp1

We lost our dog last year sadly, but when we get another one soon I plan to use the worx to wash them down. Our last dog would take an ice cold hose down in the garden but I had to put him in the car muddy/dirty, worx should fix that

I use the short lance with mine and can get high and low settings. Haven’t used the long lance actually

feed

I use the short lance with mine and can get high and low settings. Haven’t used the long lance actually

Pressure is over twice as much with the long lance

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sticky clay on tyres is pretty heavy on water use

I don’t think anything but a full power jetwash will get that off – Worx will remove a lot but you probably still need a brush.

High power short lance seems to work well enough (don’t know if that was a US restriction?) and has enough power. I’ve jet washed my own legs a bit on high and it stings but doesn’t remove the skin… on low it’s fine (and the wider the nozzle setting the less intense – theres a ‘shower setting’ on the nozzle I’ve washed under).

TiRed

Gave my stepfather a Worx for Christmas. It has not dissapointed. I’ll be getting one, and not just for bike duties. Having a moderate jetwash anywhere is a game changer.

Worth the money is a reasonable conclusion.

martymac

I have a worx, bought because I live in a 3rd floor flat.
    So i use 10L containers and the worx to wash my car.
    Works really well.
    I’ve used it on the bikes too, but primary use is the car.
    I did buy the bigger battery though.

drewd

Similar to the above, I bought a used Worx Hydroshot from the Amazon Warehouse black Friday sale. It was in “used” condition but was complete with all accessories. I had an Amazon voucher so paid under £40 of my own money.

If I had an outside tap or somewhere to attach a hose I probably wouldn’t have got it, but now I do have it I’m happy with it. Previously I used a 5 litre garden pump spray, but this works much better as the power is consistent and the water jet is wider.

You could use it for washing a dog, as there’s a setting low enough to water plants.

windyg
    Free Member

Got my Worx in the black friday sale, already had a drill and jawsaw so plenty of batteries and chargers now.
    Pressure washer does the job well without too much pressure, so very bike friendly.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Bosch Fontus the best by far.
    All integrated into one unit, a lot less hassle than the modular Worx.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Has no one had the problem of the Worx not being able to draw the water through properly, as if it needs priming?

Seems to happen a lot for the people that I know that have them.

Curious as I’m on a pump up Hozel that is brilliant and have an unused Worx that I’m loathe to use as I’ll flog it on if the issues the lads are having are unsolved.

Mate has a Mobi thing that has a battery and has been flawless so far this winter.

mattbee

Can take about 30 secs to draw water through.
    I also added a weigh to the filter end to help it sink to the bottom of the container as the hose has a tendency to curl back up (if stored coiled) which meant the pickup end /filter could end up sitting at the top of the container.

tthew

Can anyone recommend a source of bulk/cheap was additive (like mucoff or some kind of spray foam) to use with the mixer bottle?

Great for blasting mud off, doesn’t get them clean-clean with just water though.

devbrix
    Free Member

Took the filter off the pipe of Hydroshot, pushed up the float and put a foot long plastic pipe over and put the clamp back on to stop the plastic pipe falling off. That solved the problem of it curling up in a 10l container. Only use tap water so shouldn’t be a problem with grit, dirt etc.
    Routine now is to wash bikes immediately at end of the ride rather than putting them on the bike rack and letting the mud dry on – it will get even the worst mud/clay off tyres etc if it’s still wet. Don’t tend to use a bike cleaner just dry the bike down with an old towel and that seems to solve the residual mud smears.

DrP

Second.. Third.. Whatever.. The WORX!

I’ve a 25l container in the boot.
    Going to make a ‘rigid pipe thing with a hozelock attachment’ on it, and put another hozelock on the worx pipe, so that I just clip it on, and it always sucks from the bottom

Prob put a bit of mesh on the bottom of the pipe..

DrP

fathomer

Another Hydroshot user, only used it 3-4 times and it’s great. Mine seems to take 30-40 secs to get going and the filter floating to the top is a pain. Might try weighting the bottom of the house, see if that solves it.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Why aren’t there more people using the Bosch Fontus ?

They are absolute quality. Fully integrated, good range of pressure settings, self contained rechargable battery, durable and solid.
    It also has a pair of decent sized wheels, makes it easy to move around.

ta11pau1

At £200, although the the Bosch Fontus does look to be the best option (apart from the size) they’re probably priced a bit high for us who just want it to wash to bike after a ride. The Hydroshot can be had for well under £100, and the mobi 12v wsher is £50 regularly. Then there’s the hand pump which is £10-15 and still does the job, with a bit more effort.

Silly, I know, considering we’ll spend several thousand pounds on bikes and gasp at spending £100 more on something to maintain it 😀

I’ll hopefully get out for a local ride on Thursday and will test out my dad’s hydroshot – I normally use a decent pressure tap with a hose and find that plenty to wash even fuly dried on dirt.

feed

Just to spice up the tread, I got one of these from the US site via a post forwarding service.

http://www.worx.com/40v-2×20-hydroshot-portable-power-cleaner-wg644.html

Was reduced to $170 at the time in their Jan sale. 40v version that does 450 psi (as opposed to the 20V version available in the UK\Ireland which does 320psi).

Arrived a week ago, it definitely gets sticky clay off the tyres 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What portable bike washer?’ is closed to new replies.