Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What playlist for a 50 year old?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

It’s my brother’s 50th party this weekend (somehow, despite my being sure we are still only just in our 20s).

Anyway, I have been asked by the band that are playing to create a playlist. He likes most music styles (with a bias towards more rock-based stuff) and keeps up with current trends (still listens to Radio 1 somehow) and goes to regular gigs such as Disclosure, Tom Odell, stuff like that (but I don’t have that sort of stuff on my iTunes).

There will be a mix of people at the party with some younger but mainly 40+ and some into their 70s.

So what *background* music would be good? I am not thinking about party stuff as the band will sort that out.

I was thinking of the usual safe stuff like U2, with a bit of Blondie in there (he has always idolised DH).

HELP!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You need the STW Heavy Metal playlist off Spotify 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Dirty Old Man by the Three Degrees

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Hah yeah. I subscribe and add to that myself.

😀

jools182
    Free Member

Napalm Death

Drac

I was thinking of the usual safe stuff like U2,

Dear God do you hate your brother?

fasthaggis

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9B6EAABDD7AA5D4E&v=5ZNwW9oDRW4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t do wrong with motown.

johndoh
    Free Member

Dear God do you hate your brother?

Nothing wrong with the earlier stuff for a safe audience IMO – Pride, New Year’s Day, stuff like that.

maxlite
    Free Member

Buddy Guy ‘Done Got Old’ followed by ‘Baby Please Don’t Leave Me’!

djglover
    Free Member

Grandad – Clive Dunn

DezB
    Free Member

You need the STW Heavy Metal playlist off Spotify

Dear god does he hate his brother?

scotroutes

Just fill it full of 70’s glam rock. Sweet, Slade, Mud, Bowie, Gary Glitter etc….

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah good shout on Bowie.

Perhaps I should lay off the Gary Glitter stuff though….

DezB
    Free Member

How about a bit of baggy? Mondays, Charlatans, Blur etc. Must be within his listening eras. Would go down well at my 50th if it hadn’t already flown by…

Some chart-topping: “post-punk”? Cure, Siouxsie that sorta thing.

Bring him up to date with DJ Fresh, Disclosure, Ellie Goulding, Adele all that.

Do I get a invite?

DezB
    Free Member

ps. don’t forget Kylie :0)

spud-face

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTIAMQlIUv4[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

Do I get a invite?

Judging by my S-I-L’s organisational skills there will probably be space (close family members didn’t even know about it until this week when I asked them) so rock on up.

We’re having live music and a fully catered B-B-Q.

And lashings of Ginger Beer Beer

66deg
    Free Member

How about this
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1x1EU3qKsUg[/video]

john_drummer
    Free Member

Just fill it full of 70’s glam rock. Sweet, Slade, Mud, Bowie, Gary Glitter etc….

I’m turning 50 soon and I wouldn’t thank you for that, although my sister, 4 years older than me, probably would. Other than the Gary Glitter, of course

for me it’d be a mix of punk/post-punk/goth/grunge, and a bit of 90s BritPop & 80s pop.
    Stay away from the disco. and the Abba. and X-factor / modern pop (i.e the pap they play on Capital FM)

Motown/Atlantic soul would also be acceptable.

but of course you also need to cater for the rest of the party audience too…

johndoh
    Free Member

but of course you also need to cater for the rest of the party audience too…

That’s it – I know (generally) what he likes but I have around 2 to 3 hours to fill with stuff other people will like too.

binners

DezB
    Free Member

‘Jeepster’ and ‘Gimme Shelter’ must get a look in
    (along with ‘Carrie’, naturally)

johndoh
    Free Member

Kate Bush! Of course.

For some reason ‘Carrie’ reminded me of Wuthering Heights (the ‘Cathy Come Home’ bit)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

needs some Clash, Madness and Pistols in there

johndoh
    Free Member

Clash is a good call – he saw them as a yoof busking in York before going to the gig at the Uni in the evening.

He was never into Madness (but still could bob some on the playlist) and Pistols might be a bit much for my 86 yr old uncle 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

I dunno, he might like “C’mon Everybody” or “Something Else”. Ok not strictly Pistols, but you get what I mean 😉

igm

50th? Teenage Kicks of course

corroded
    Free Member

How about some songs about nostalgia, such as The Go Betweens – Streets of Your Town?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What playlist for a 50 year old?’ is closed to new replies.