Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what places in the Devon area are good?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Evening. Down here in Devon for a wee holiday, in the Teignmouth area. Anyone got any good recommendations for things to do, Places to eat at or pubs to get squify in?

google reviews are questionable at best

cheers, and no, I don’t have anything better to do on holiday than sit on Singletrack 🙂

CountZero

You are quite a long way to the east of where I know, but if you don’t mind a bit of a drive and walk, get across to Slapton Sands. From there you’ve got a great walk over the cliff paths to Beesands, Hallsands and Start Point. You can walk along the beach, but, and it’s a seriously big but, there is a very narrow window of opportunity at low tide to get around a couple of points, one at Torcross, the other between Beesands and Hallsands, roughly ten minutes, before a fast scramble over the rocks!
    There are places to eat and drink in Torcross and Beesands, the Cricket Inn in Beesands is first class, excellent food and very good beer, I’ve actually stayed there the last two years so can attest to the food. Once around Start Point, there’s Lannacombe Bay, then on towards East Prawle and East Portlemouth. Kate Bush has a beautiful house on the coast path just past Lannacombe. You can take a path back up over towards Hollowcombe from Lannacombe, then down to Hallsands and Torcross. A lot of walking, and beautiful coast down there. Enjoy!

Del

got bikes? if you have, ride around the cycle path towards exeter and hit the Turf Locks Hotel for good food and a fine Ale selection. also accessible by car, somewhat – there’s a ~ 15min walk as vehicles aren’t actually allowed all the way there. alternatively train to starcross and walk up from there, but be prepared for weather, as much of the path is ‘right’ on the side of the estuary.
    it’s a cracking spot, on a spit of land between the canal and the exe estuary ( the cellar has a bilge pump ).
    check their website for opening though.
    otherwise a great pub is the beer engine in newton st. cyres. you can get to this by train, but make sure you let the guard know where you want to get off. you may need to change at exeter st.david’s station. excellent country pub, micro-brewery, good price on their wonderful ales, great food well priced.
    if you have got bikes then the cycle path around the estuary to exmouth is a nice pedal and the pub opportunities on that are enormous!

yunki
    Free Member

Try the Arts Anonymous Gallery in Northumberland Place for a look at some great pieces with prices to suit all pockets.. some very happening artists selling through there, plus you’ll get chance to meet gallery owner and resident artist Mos, who is worth the visit on his own.. He’ll give you the lowdown on what’s going down in Teignmouth..
    Also worth hopping on the train one stop up the line to Newton Abbot to sample the cider in Ye Olde Cider Bar, one of only a handful of traditional cider houses remaining in the UK.. plenty of interesting brews to wet your whistle in very unspoilt traditional surroundings..

🙂

EDIT: +1 what Del said

CountZero

Oddly enough, I’m just watching an old Poirot, Peril at End House, and the harbour there is Salcombe.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Say hi to my mum for me. Do you have a car. Dartmoor is nice. The cafe on the green in widcombe in the moor does a nice cream tea. Not much to do in teignmouth, or Newton abbot

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly enough, I’m just watching an old Poirot, Peril at End House, and the harbour there is Salcombe.

I was there when they were filming that! IIRC, there are a few bloopers in the background of some of the long shots! They also did Evil Under the Sun around the bay at Burgh Island.

Del

and if you go the cider bar ( i’m fairly sure you can get hammered for a fiver there ), swing round the corner after and get a curry at the eastern eye. 😉

hoodie
    Free Member

Tuckers Maltings tour in Newton Abbot is actually worth doing…cider bar great if u want to get hammered , Eastern eye good curry and infamous free sambucca…all a stones thro from hoodies gaff!

CountZero

CFH, it was a bit of a surprise, it’s been years since I last watched it, and I was idly wondering where it was filmed, as they use multiple locations for one locality, and it was the scene with the woman on the yacht coming into moor up, and as soon as I saw the jetty with the footpath that goes under the building I suddenly thought ‘damn, that’s Salcombe!’
    Only last time I saw it there was a big Lifeboat moored there.
    Be back down that way again in about three weeks, looking forward to it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Get the ferry across to Shaldon and have a pint on the Ferry Boat terrace. A few decent olde worlde pub options along the Back Beach in Teignmouth itself too.

Take the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear and then boat across to Dartmouth, you can do a river cruise too up to Dittisham too.

I live on the moor, only about a half hour from Teignmouth. I’d definitely recommend a ride or drive up this way if you get the chance.

A drive from Bovey Tracey to Moretonhampstead, then onto Two Bridges and back via Dartmeet, Widecombe, Hound Tor, Haytor etc would take in a lot of the Eastern part of the moor with some great views.

More great riding than you can shake a stick at around all here if you’ve got bikes. Lustleigh Cleave and the Princetown / Burrator loop are two which are pretty well known.

Walk downriver froM Dartmeet and back over the moor is lovely – some great spots for river swimming along there too if that’s your thing.

Pub recommendations:

The Cleave in Lustleigh does nice food and beer. Lovely garden too.
    White Horse in Moretonhampstead is a bit pricy but does fab wood fired pizzas. Barman Alberto is grumpy, but that’s just his way.
    Ring of Bells in North Bovey is a pleasant spot for a beer in the garden
    Ditto Rugglestone Inn near Widecombe
    Sandy Park Inn just outside Chagford is also nice and good after a walk along the Teign Gorge or a visit to Castle Drogo.

yunki
    Free Member

If you’re venturing up onto the moor, then I think that The Rock Inn at Haytor Vale deserves a mention for it’s memorable grub, and The Warren House Inn is a nice desolate windswept moorland photo opportunity and the start/finish of many many moorland MTB rides.. Sprocket jockey makes some great suggestions for enjoying the moor, (was that you I met the other evening coming the ‘wrong’ way up the hobbit run behind Manaton..?)

Also worth a mention if you decide to go into Newton Abbot, is The Pharmacy tea shop, for it’s extraordinary selection of cake..
    Totnes is worth a visit, and Berry Pomeroy castle if castles are your thing..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

was that you I met the other evening coming the ‘wrong’ way up the hobbit run behind Manaton..

Not me, but funnily enough I think i have gone up that the wrong way on another occasion (so to speak). 😀

Would second the Warren House, provided you’ve not got kids. if you have, you get banished to the back room!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what places in the Devon area are good?’ is closed to new replies.