• This topic has 33 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What pizza stone for BBQ
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Got a weber smoky joe which i THINK is 37cm
    want a pizza stone to use this weekend so i will not have time to find a bit of ceramic tile off cut from an artisan stone merchant unless anyone knows one in sheffield/chesterfield?

IHN
    iamanobody
    Free Member

Drac why do i need that?????

iamanobody
    Free Member

What is the main difference between cheap and expensive ones other than ££££

Drac

Drac why do i need that?????

It sits on BBQ grill they heat up to about 500c

IHN

Nothing. It’s a round ceramic tile.

iamanobody
    Free Member

drac – how is it different temp wise to bobbing the lid on? not being factious, genuine question

Drac

From what I gather it reaches higher temperatures and cooks more even. I’ve not got one but heard they work very well.

I use a cheap stone from amazon and my gas oven. 😂

iamanobody
    Free Member

so can i use a ceramic floor tile or will it just break?

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a cheap pizza stone (from B&M or something) and a very expensive pizza stone (a Pampered Chef one).

There is zero difference between the two after multiple uses.

I know this doesn’t help the OP.

Drac

Just spotted those in Aldi cultsdave.

llama

stone patio slab better than a floor tile because thicker

Warm mine up slowly in the oven first if I’m using it on the bbq. Used it about 10 times on the BBQ but countless times in the oven, often never bother taking it out.

I did have a proper one but it cracked after a few uses

Painey
    Free Member

A tip if you’re going to be putting a pizza stone directly over the coals/heat source is to put a couple of layers of foil underneath it. That way it stops it from getting way too hot that it burns anything that touches it. Which has happened to me in the past even with a thick lump of granite.

ads678

I use a Cadac pizza stone with my Safari chef for camping, and then tried it on the BBQ at home and works even though the BBQ is quite big so take a bit to get the temp right with the lid closed.

Might have to buy one of those Aldi ones though.

iamanobody
    Free Member

what about using firebricks – stupid idea?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well they’re actually for insulating so they’d not get hot enough.

Interested to see how well a BBQ with a pizza stone does compared to an Ooni pizza oven.
    I suspect the answer is ‘not very well’ as the BBQ wouldn’t offer much in the way of heat from above so the toppings may not cook that well, but we’ll see.

llama

Interested to see how well a BBQ with a pizza stone does compared to an Ooni pizza oven

Better than a normal oven. The base is perfect but yes, the top not so much, you have to be selective and sparse with your toppings, so more Italy than Chicago.

scruff9252

Funny this thread is here, I was gonna make my own thread later…

Anyhow, I’ve recently found a marble slab 12mm thick 300mm deep and the exact width of my oven to fit in my rails.

I’ve cleaned this up, dusted with flour whacked the oven on to 200°c and waited for the oven to get up to temp. Stuck pizza on and when cooked, the edges are crisper but the middle still a bit soggy. Is that a symptom of the stone not getting up to temp and needing longer to pre-heat?

Drac

12mm thick I’d say it’s not getting hot enough.

You want the oven to max and to cook on the top shelf.

scruff9252

Cheers drac. Will have pizza again this evening and pre heat for longer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

An oven just doesn’t get hot enough I’m afraid, you’re looking at about 220c compared to >500c in a pizza oven.
    We used to cook shop bought pizza in the oven in a stone (I’d put it on the gas hob first to help get the heat up) but will never again having got an Ooni.

Drac

An oven just doesn’t get hot enough I’m afraid, you’re looking at about 220c compared to >500c in a pizza oven.

While not as good as a proper pizza oven they get well over 220c nearer 500c then at the top it will be pretty much that.

sharkbait
    Free Member

How do you work that one out?

They have a Thermostat to keep the temp stable, a fan oven should have a fairly even temperature throughout while convection oven will be. Bit warmer at the top it certainly won’t be that hot.
    On ours the thermostat probe is at the top so defo not going much over 220c.
    At 500c a pizza cooks in 1 minute, it’s never going to do that in a domestic oven.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If using the oven, whack yer sugo onto base, cook for a few minutes, then top with whatever you like, and fire back in the oven.

Gets ye a nice crispy base.

leffeboy

so can i use a ceramic floor tile or will it just break?

Yes you can.  The first time you heat it up do so gently over time rather than cranking it up to max of it will break.  after that you will be fine.  The benefit it that you can cut it to whatever size you need

Is that a symptom of the stone not getting up to temp and needing longer to pre-heat?

Yep.  Just because the thermostat says it’s at temp doesn’t mean a big lump of stone in the middle is up to temp yet 🙁

Drac

How do you work that one out?

Because they can be set to 475C or at least some can. Then heat rises so the top is always hotter.

At 500c a pizza cooks in 1 minute, it’s never going to do that in a domestic oven.

Like I said not as good as a pizza oven.

llama

What oven can be set to 475C? We are talking a domestic kitchen here.

Drac

So am I.

llama

No seriously, I had no idea and now I want one. Post link.

Drac

Oh bollocks thinking Fahrenheit I don’t even use Fahrenheit.

Sorry guys. 😂😳

ads678

Must be your ipad using amercian units!!

Drac

Hahaha! I’ve honestly no idea why I did that like I said I never use Fahrenheit my oven uses gas mark so can’t blame that.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What pizza stone for BBQ’ is closed to new replies.