Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What pimpy Screw-On, singlespeed disc hub.
  • Militant_biker

As the subject says, I’m looking for a pimpy screw-on singlespeed disc hub. There was a rumour of a Hope one this summer but I can’t find anything concrete.

I’m not sold on the White Industries ENO disc as it sounds like adaptor hell to get the brake to work – anyone running it and can tell me it works?

My choice at present would be the standard ENO disc – any other choices?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Have a look at the poverty DMR revolver hub, had mine for 5 years + no issues (just stripped the hub apart to check the bearings all ok and reassembled)

it just works

tomlevell

Paul Components
    White Industries
    Phil Wood

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sam

Phil FTW. Not light but will last forever and a day.

tommid
    Free Member

Not that Pimpy, but you cant go wrong with a SUrly. I have several and I have never had an issue.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’m not sold on the White Industries ENO disc as it sounds like adaptor hell to get the brake to work – anyone running it and can tell me it works?

I presume you mean the Eccentric Disc hub? You have to have a very good reason to feel the need to use one of those – what’s the frame?

My choice at present would be the standard ENO disc – any other choices?

Standard ENO disc is fine here (5 years use). Very pretty and nicely made. I probably wouldn’t buy them again if I was buying now though. The bearings are quite exposed – no end cap between the bearing seal and the big wet world. So they can eat bearings a bit in very wet conditions. But they’re very easy to work on so bearing changes aren’t too much of a chore. The only other issue I’ve had is breaking a QR axle end insert.

Militant_biker

I presume you mean the Eccentric Disc hub? You have to have a very good reason to feel the need to use one of those – what’s the frame?

Yes – sorry, I meant the Eccentric Eno. The frame is a old but nice alloy frame with vertical drops. I currently use a tensioner.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Paul Component one is looking nice, although there’s not really much difference in the DMR one…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

surly 1×1… i think triton cycles (find them on the web) have them in ltd edition ano purple… they look fantastic…

i’ve got a pair built into white freedomdisc 29er rims, with a WI duo freehub (17/19t) for sale…

bent_udder
    Free Member

If you’ve got vertical dropouts and want to ditch the tensioner, then surely the Eccentric ENO is the only way to go?

I’m very happy with a DMR Revolver – not the flashest out there, but it works a treat – not had a single problem with mine for over a year. I’d strongly suggest getting a White Industries freehwheel as the pimpy component, and spend whatever’s left on the hub. 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

2nd bent udder!!

its all abouth the free wheel

why not a casette hub?? as profile make a ver very nice hub!

jonathan
    Free Member

If you’ve got vertical dropouts and want to ditch the tensioner, then surely the Eccentric ENO is the only way to go?

With a disk then using a non-eccentric hub and an Excentriker BB might be a better (neater) option. But that is rather adding to the cost 😉

Militant_biker

I’ve already got me a White Industries freewheel – hence the need for a screw on hub. Shimano ones were lasting about 3 months, so it was a worthwhile investment.

I’m also happy to use a tensioner for the time being, it allows more options. I hope to get a proper singlespeed frame for the bike at some point. However, if the Eccentric ENO hub was OMG-amazing I might just stick with the frame I have.

That Excentriker BB is fab – except I’ve got some Middleburn UNO’s on square. Anybody make a square taper Eccentric BB? 🙂

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Riofer
    Free Member
    Militant_biker

Ooh – good spot – ta! I’ve not got used to the new forums here – searching an’ that 🙂

Riofer
    Free Member

No problem. I’ve got a Phil Woods hub with a WI freewheel. Not needed to touch it for 2 years + of riding in all conditions. Great hubs.

titaniumlover
    Free Member

replied… it’s a 32hole and never used! and sam at singular (who built it)

tells me it’s most likely an X717

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What pimpy Screw-On, singlespeed disc hub.’ is closed to new replies.