What Phone? First World Problems…Again

Home Forum Chat Forum What Phone? First World Problems…Again

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What Phone? First World Problems…Again
  • Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

After my Nokia N9 dies an untimely death (by way of boot loop hell) in Amsterdam I am after a replacement. Insurance have offered an HTC 8X – see below – or a cheque for £400-ish

Firstly – NO iPhone – don’t like and won’t have Apple products – just the way it is.

Secondly – No WinPho – as above.

Leaves me with either another N9 or something Android related – thinking Nexus 4 16gb, or keep using my old N900 and wait to see what Jolla bring out.

Help!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Nexus S3 or note

deviant

Good deals on Galaxy S2’s now the S3 is out and the S4 is on the way. Great screen and a 1.2 Ghz dual core processor, you really dont need quad core and 5 inch screens for most smart phone functions. It has expandable SD card memory too. Love mine at the moment.

joeyj

Might have to wait till March and put a little on top but the Sony Experia Z comes out then and looks rather good and the waterproof and dust proof are an added bonus.

CountZero

That Sony does look tasty; it’s about time Sony got their design mojo back. Always liked their stuff, but it’s been lacking something in recent years.

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

deviant – Member

Good deals on Galaxy S2’s now the S3 is out and the S4 is on the way. Great screen and a 1.2 Ghz dual core processor, you really dont need quad core and 5 inch screens for most smart phone functions. It has expandable SD card memory too. Love mine at the moment.

I did exactly this at the end of last month and I’m pretty pleased with it.

Rumour has it that the Jelly Bean update is imminent which gives it an S3 look and feel (already leaked if you’re into hacking about with ROMs).

chvck

Nexus 4 back in stock now by the way

darryl1983

Not sure why you’d want an S2 instead of an S3 given you’ve got £400 to spend on a phone, granted the S2 is a good phone, buts it’s over 2 years old now and will not be supported for much longer.

The S3 on the otherhand is a very good phone and should be supported for at least another year or so. Should be able to pick them up pretty cheap given the S4 is expected to be annouced next month.

I opted for the Note 2, because i wanted the bigger screen, really happy with it. GF has the S3 and thats just as good, just smaller screen.

But if it was me i’d wait for the S4 to be announced then make a decision based on that. At least the S3 and Note 2 should be reduced a little more given most people will be wanting the next gen phone.

The Nexus 4 is similar is spec to the S3 and is a good phone, only down side is availablity and lack of memory card slots.

titusrider

um ive got an htc 8x and its great 🙂

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Nexus 4 back in stock now by the way

Excellent 😀 . First smartphone I’ll have ever bought

I’ve been checking over the last few days and I was hopeful when it changed to “Temporaily Out Of Stock” yesterday.

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

Not sure why you’d want an S2 instead of an S3

For me it was the size of the phone and the fact that the spec bump isn’t that significant.

The S2 might be a couple of years old, but it’s still a good spec. I considered the S3 mini but that’s not as powerful as the S2 and costs more…

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

Was looking at some Nexus 4 reviews, but the battery life seems a little poor (according to the Reg).

So far it looks like:
    Another N9 – White 64GB on play!
    Nexus 4
    SGS3
    HTC something

Or back to an old N95 8GB and spaff the rest of the cash on a rear shock…

Bimbler

Money no object I’d go for a Note 2 or Xperia Z, money is an object so I’ve just pushed button on an N4

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

What’s a Cyanogenmod SGS2 perform like in comparison to a stock SGS3?

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Moto Razr i is a good phone too, though not as rugged as the Xperia Z or my old Defy.

deviant

S2 over an S3 due to cheap contract, smaller screen, overall smaller size, more than enough processing power, ICS operating system currently with Jelly Bean just released this month.
    The phone’s hardware will support the next few updates unless the OS’s become massively processor intensive.

It’s only the single core devices that are being left behind and not getting updates beyond Gingerbread.

mrmo

Not sure why you’d want an S2 instead of an S3 given you’ve got £400 to spend on a phone, granted the S2 is a good phone, buts it’s over 2 years old now and will not be supported for much longer.

I wouldn’t worry about support, currently got Android 4.2.1 running on my Galaxy S. Plenty of aftermarket roms if you feel the need.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What Phone? First World Problems…Again’ is closed to new replies.