Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What Pepper Mill?
  • beamers

Morning all.

Disaster has struck in the Beamers Household – our long serving pepper mill has broken!

Its the type that you can use one handed. Yyou squeeze the lever towards the housing and it crushes the pepper corns. Output can be adjusted from light mist to large hailstone consistency. You get the picture.

The lever has snapped on ours and being plastic is beyond repair.

Any recommendations for a replacement? (I’m not interested in a fancy pants motorised alternative)

Ta in advance.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Iceland do a grinder including the pepper for 90 pence, you won’t moan when it breaks either

onandon
    Free Member

Peugeot make some of the best you’ll find and they have a lifetime guarantee.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cole & Mason, beech.

Cheap, brilliant.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

LOL flashie I knew you would write that!

nandos do good ones….

beamers

Thanks for the pointers.

Call me fussy but none of those meet the design criteria.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Ive got a Chef’n pepper ball – another one hander. Works ok and its been around for a couple of years but I wouldnt want to drop it on a hard surface.

Anyone else old enough to remember the giant pepper bill fad?

bob_summers

Peugeot make some of the best you’ll find

This. The squeezy handle ones don’t last long ime.

righog
    Free Member

You can still buy 3ft ones but they are $190 !

cinnamon_girl

Replaced my broken Cole & Mason with:

https://www.robertwelch.com/kitchen/utensils_gadgets/salt_pepper

So far it’s coping with my Himalayan salt crystals. 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You need to step back from the internet. Probably the worst thread on here.

cinnamon_girl

Having a non-functioning cruet set is a right pita. Having broken loads of them I ended up paying more for quality. From Googling, seriously how sad, I found a review in a national newspaper where the RW outperformed the others. Only have the cheapest mind.

Now stepping away from the internet. 🙂

Drac

Aldi do the grinders with the peppercorn in too works fine no point in getting a refillable one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my family thought i was weird when i asked for a salt pepper set for christmas.

Peugeot set is amazing. pepper actually tastes better then with the previous cheap set!

ontor
    Free Member

Le Creuset is pretty good.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Wm Bounds ltd pepper mills with a crank arm make your condiments come alive!

Or at least one will give many years of adjustable high volume pepper grinding.

Drac

Peugeot set is amazing. pepper actually tastes better then with the previous cheap set!

😆

CHB

Costco pepper grinder with pepper in. About £3. When empty, throw away and buy another. They do a matching salt grinder that lasts an equally unfeasible long life too!

beamers

You need to step back from the internet. Probably the worst thread on here.

Finally – after all my years of trying.

(Although this thread seemed to go down like a lead balloon.)

shermer75
    Free Member

Cole & Mason. Then send your best running boy to Kampot to get the peppercorns, obvs 😉

doordonot
    Free Member

Surprised no-one has mentioned the classic Chris King salt and pepper shakers. It may not meet all the OP’a requirements but it does meet the requirement that matters: its bike-related:

Chris King S&P shaker

maccruiskeen

Costco pepper grinder with pepper in. About £3. When empty, throw away and buy another.

I kept refilling a costco disposable one for about 8 years before it gave up the ghost

bearnecessities

🙂 ^ I’ve been doing that with an Aldi 99p one for quite some time.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve just had my Cole & Mason set replaced FOC under the lifetime gurantee after 20 years of use.
    Bought them in TK Maxx for £15 I think.

If I get another 20 years out of this set, I reckon it was £15 well spent 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for Peugeot.

Although we have a set of Le Creuset sat in the cupboard waiting for the new house.

Currently using a disposable Jamie Oliver one (from TK Maxx, cheaper than buying pepper separate at waitrose) and unfortunately the pepper corns have outlived the mechanism.

slowster
    Free Member

The nice thing about the WMF Ceramill design is that it is effectively stood ‘upside down’ when not in use, which means it does not leave a trail of ground pepper on the table. I think a few other manufacturers have similar designs.

I think the grinding mechanism in the WMF is the Crushgrind mechanism, and it and the Peugeot mechanism are supposed to be the best.

I don’t think much of Cole and Mason, having had one of their salt grinders. That said I am not sure salt grinders are worth having, and it’s generally advised not use ‘wet’ sea salt in most salt grinders, with the exception of those which use the ceramic Crushgrind mechanism.

If you are struggling to get to sleep tonight, a browse of this website should sort you out.

sbob
    Free Member

righog – Member

You can still buy 3ft ones but they are $190 !

£24 for this puppy!
    http://store.discoveryuk.com/cole-mason-pepper-grinder-xxl-baseball-bat-392.html

Not quite 3′ but close enough. The Daddy has one and finds it useful for prodding the unwary.
    Got a leccy set for my Mother and her slightly arthritic hands. Not what the OP wants but a godsend for pepper fiends like us. Once you’ve eaten fresh peppercorns straight from the vine you’ll struggle to get enough without one.

righog
    Free Member

Thats not a Pepper Mill

Thats a Pepper Mill

I have resisted calling it a Sbobpepper Mill 🙂

I would buy that Baseball bat Pepper Mill like a shot but I am banned this month from buying anything odd

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ikea do a ceramic tinder that attaches to their spice jars. Ours have lasted well. Very easy way to grind fresh spices as well – much better than pestle and mortar.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/food-storage-organising/ikea-365-ihärdig-spice-mill-black-art-10152875/

Or a really elegant version by robert Welch
    https://d2qwzu24wcp0pu.cloudfront.net/robertwelch/product/fae4f0.LIMSA34SPEC1.jpg/630×630.fit.LIMSA34SPEC1.jpg

gobuchul
    Free Member

As others have said, this is the worst thread ever. Everyone needs to step away.

Please, please, please tell me you are joking. If not, take a look at yourself.

zntrx
    Free Member

Just looked at ours, it’s made by Trudeau.

I bought this in TKMaxx when we moved into this flat (12 years ago). It gets used most days and still works fine

simondbarnes

I like the electric one my dad has. I just use a pestle and mortar though.

righog
    Free Member

Of coarse the Mill will have an effect on the taste of the Pepper. The surface area will be totally different and hence the perceived taste will be different.

I used some watches to hold the paper down from the winds of hate 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^^PEAK STW!^^^

righog
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    ^^^PEAK STW!^^^

My work is done 🙂

km79
    Free Member

gobuchul
    Free Member

You have broke the internet.

sands
    Free Member

Stealth pepper mill?

Only one I’ve ever seen – Full size wooden wine bottle pepper mill. Bought at a second-hand sale for £2.00.

Agree TK Maxx is worth a look if you are near one – had loads of unusual cookery ‘widgets’ from there.

mattyfez

It’s not a proper set unless it also has a mustard seed grinder.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What Pepper Mill?’ is closed to new replies.