• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What pedal bike for my 2, nearly 3yr old son…..
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

So proud of Mater Petrie, he is coming on leaps & bounds on his balance bike.

So much so, he is getting rewarded with his first pedal bike this week.

The question is what is the best?

I’m liking the Specialized Hotrock……

Strictly no Halfords or Toys R Us nonsense.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

igm

Sorry to be boring

Islabikes Cnoc14. Though he may be a bit small height and reach wise. I have footage of my eldest on his at 3 yrs 4 months. Now away on its second lend out but coming back for number 2 son.

Nice balance biking by the way

BillOddie

2nd the Islabikes recommendation!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nick1962
    Free Member

Tell him you’ll be riding it till he grows into it 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

giant animator has been great from just under 3 to just turned 4 now and goin strong, we looked at the rideback mx14 too but he was far more comfortable on the bmx styled higher handlebar giant

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well I had a look around, and came to the conclusion that Tesco do them for approx £50 and much, much lighter than most apart from the Isla, which is stupidly expensive and over engineered for a bike that will get trashed.

Also don’t expect a 3 yr old who can ride a balance bike with ease to just get on a pedal bike and ride off.

sc-xc

Having used a Hotrock, Schwinn mini mesa, little Kona something and a giant MTX, I have just got my 4yo a Cnoc 16 and it is light years ahead of the others.

Resale value with an Isla bike will even it all out…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Another islabike fan… They are properly designed for little kids.
    Most others are literally mini bso’s with poor geometry, poor components and no 2nd hand value

womble321
    Free Member

How about a micro mini bmx to start with ?

zeffir
    Free Member

Both of ours learned to pedal on the hotrock 12 aged 3, the back pedal braking really worked for our kids and gave them the confidence to progress, recommended from me.

euain

Also don’t expect a 3 yr old who can ride a balance bike with ease to just get on a pedal bike and ride off.

Why not? Worked for mine.. 🙂

honourablegeorge

FunkyDunc – Member

That’s what happened with my lad, was pedalling within an hour

uwe-r
    Free Member

If you want the quality of an isla bike but not the price then the Ridgeback MX14 is the one. Its circa £130 where as the isla is circa £200.

It looks just right with a decent little saddle and you can tell the components are quality. Also has good resale value.

tinsy
    Free Member

Having used a Hotrock, Schwinn mini mesa, little Kona something and a giant MTX, I have just got my 4yo a Cnoc 16 and it is light years ahead of the others.

Resale value with an Isla bike will even it all out…

This is exactly how it is, even the might of Specialized does not come close. Just pop onto the Isla website, use the sizing guide, but do not stray from it becuase it is absolutley spot on. Unless you child is very big it will be the Cnoc 14 your looking at.

3 years & 4 days, 1st ride on his. He is absolutely flying on it now at 3 1/2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az6KRssVmLY

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Saturday was his big day!

Thanks uwe-r – ended up with a Ridgeback MX12.

He is happy running alongside it atm 🙂

NOTE: No stabilizers “They are for babies dad”

Wookster

Awesome!! Just seen the post my youngest is on one of these and loves it!!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Rose got her islabike on thursday too. Rode it 100m or so without being held after about 20 minutes of playing. She is slightly older mind, 3 and 2 months now, and had done a ridiculous amount of balance biking. I am totally sold on the whole balance biking teaching the hard bits of biking thing now.

Also really like the islabike, you can see looking at it why it cost so much, very well built and thought out, and having carried it up the hill from the park a couple of times, the weight makes a difference to me, she can even pick it up herself, and was trying to ride it up a hill earlier. All the other ones recommended were at least half as heavy again, which is a big difference.

darkcyan
    Free Member

My daughter has a pink angelina balerina bike and is ripping up the grass bank in stanmer park. Just proves it’s 90% rider 10% bike.

That said I have a rather nice niner air nine and half a yeti asr5 in the shed.

igm

I think the Niner and the Yeti rather prove your earlier point – they’re in the shed while the Angelina is learning to shred.

Edit: of course I shouldn’t talk, glass houses and all.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What pedal bike for my 2, nearly 3yr old son…..’ is closed to new replies.