Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What pannier rack for commuter
  • Nico
    Free Member

My aged hardtail has been converted for commuting and I need a rack. There seem to be a lot out there, all looking pretty similar. I don’t want to put some minging POS on a nice bike but equally don’t need something designed for expeditions. So, what’s the thinking?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tubus Ti.

TiRed

Traditional : Blackburn
    Budget : Topeak Super Tourist with Quicktrack (not a gimmick!)
    Expensive : Tubus steel

Does your hardtail have rack eyelets on the seatstays?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nico
    Free Member

It doesn’t have rack eyelets but I’m looking at fabricating some nifty aluminium P brackets, or maybe getting some Blackburn ones.

Those Tubus racks do look very nice.

zbonty

Just googled the Tubus ones-£80 is a bit strong isn’t it?

I am just about to re-fit a very adjustable Tortec one which is fine and was less than £30 from LBS.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tubus do a variety of fittings as well for bikes without eyelets, They are very nice but at a price – but good value for money

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Pop into your local Aldi, they have them every year and not all sell through, so usually you can find them in the bargin bin.

I’ve had mine in regular use for over 12 months, it’s strong enough to sit on easy rider style 😉

Aldi pannier bags as well 7/10

TiRed

Then you could do worse than use an M-part seatpost adaptor and P clips on the bottom.

EDIT… and in action with a Blackburn rack on this shot of my Kona Paddy Waggon. I’m pleased with the result. Note they come in two sizes. Think mine was a small for a 27.2 seatpost.

Tubus Fly mounts to the seatstay bridge

CraigW
    Free Member

What about Racktime?
    Same company as Tubus, but made of aluminium and a fair bit cheaper. Available from Bike24 or Rose etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the aldi rack weighs a tonne tho 🙂

Pays yer money and makes your choice but I have tubus now on the tandem and you can see why they are expensive – the quality is so much better than anything else

MoreCashThanDash

Tortec Ultralight – plenty strong enough for commuting, and fairly cheap

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What pannier rack for commuter’ is closed to new replies.