Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What paint for plywood walls
  • Premier Icon richmtb

So I’ve clad half my garage in Wickes’ finest non sturtural hardwood ply (bloody hell wood is expensive these days)

It looks pretty good. The idea is it will go around and beyond the workbench area and give me a blank canvas for hanging tools and anything else.

Question is do I paint it (Parktool blue obviously), stain it or other.

I had a couple of small ply sheets just over the workbench previously and just left them bare and they looked okay, but i guess this time as I’ve spent a few quid cladding from floor to ceiling half the garage I want a nice finish.

Suggestions gladly received 🙂

Premier Icon FB-ATB

White to help reflect light?

Premier Icon kayak23

What type of ply?
    Paint the back, Osmo oil the front?

Premier Icon richmtb

Work in progress picture

its 12mm hardwood ply (no idea what hardwood though). Its got a nice smooth finish

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Staining can be a bit hit or miss as timber absorbs the stain at different rates meaning it can end up looking patchy. Nothing wrong with a natural look so I’ll suggest either an oil or possibly varnish, whichever works out cheaper.
    Oil is the easiest to apply.

Premier Icon jonba
    Free Member

If you are going to paint the key will be picking a suitable primer. All the big brands will have one and there won’t be much in it performance wise at a given price point.

You’d likely be able to put any domestic paint on top after that (check product info because I’m not sure). I’d go for a scrub able/endurance/tough finish as it will be possible to clean if needed.

Premier Icon richmtb

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve never came across Osmo oil before, the tinted ones look ideal.

Premier Icon kayak23

Pricey though. Around £65-75 for 2.5l.
    Great though.

Premier Icon thebees
    Free Member

Teak oil or Danish oil, about a fiver in any hardware store. Used recently on seat for raised fishpond and trendy scaffold board kitchen shelves (teak oil).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.