Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What OS map app for Android?
  • tomd
    Free Member

What are people using to get OS maps on Android? Looking for something that will work offline and not be too expensive for 1:50k maps. Not too fussed about recording / navigation but could be a bonus.

Mackem

I use viewranger. (not OS maps, as I like in Spain, but it’s an excellent app and they do OS maps I believe)

naffa
    Free Member

I also use viewranger, you can buy os tiles as you need them and view them offline

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Back country navigator.
    Free OS maps with the pro version. You get a month’s free trial.
    Brilliant for GPS or just mapping.
    I have all of southern England and Wales downloaded for offline useage.

clubber
    Free Member

An old version of Oruxmaps. Completely free.

MadBillMcMad

maverick – completely free.

There is a nominally priced Pro version (£4) which I have.
    I do not think you actually get any extra functionallity,
    but it is such a good app I decided to help fund it.

1:50 & 1:25
    as well as satelite maps etc.

retro83
    Free Member

clubber – Member

An old version of Oruxmaps. Completely free.

I know you need an old version of Mobac for OS, but why the old version of Orux?

scruff
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Viewranger here, it is great.

jekkyl

How much are the maps on viewranger?

If you get stuck this is good quick website to bookmark on your browser.
    m0.footpathmaps.com/
    you’ll need a data connection though.

mattrgee
    Free Member

MMTracker. Works with those Memory Map map files you might have lying around.

scruff
    Free Member

I couldnt get MM tracker to work on my phone.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I use Osmand. I like it very much.

clubber
    Free Member

I know you need an old version of Mobac for OS, but why the old version of Orux?

The old version allows you to download OS maps directly from the app rather than having to use Mobac. I just install the old version, download any OS maps I need and then update oruxmaps to the latest version.

Though FWIW, I find OS maps too detailed for what I do and prefer OSM

See this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-made-gps-with-mapping-and-tracking

nickjb
    Free Member

I use viewranger, too. I have a couple of the free map apps on my phone and use them occasionally but viewranger is worth the extra.

riddoch

Viewranger works out pretty cheaply for maps. I’ve bought £20 with of credits and still have loads left despite having quite a few OS sheets worth. Also transferable between devices too.

tomd
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Viewranger is good but a few others are worth a look.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Back Country Navigator here, you can trial it for 3-4 weeks for free. It costs a one off £6.99 (you can have it on multiple devices) and you get full 1:25k OS maps. You can download on to your device the sections of map you require for using out of range, it will also work if you have data connection. I’ve trialed both BCN and Viewranger, Viewranger did seem a bit better presented, but for £6.99 BCN appeared a bit of a no brainer. Been using it for about 6 months, only drawback is, for non techy person like me, on line instructions aren’t that great and some ‘beyond basics’ stuff I’m finding difficult to work out, but has been great for navigating, downloading others routes to follow and recording our routes.

clubber
    Free Member

If you need the old version of orux maps, drop me an email.

kbomb
    Free Member

I still use paper OS maps because I just like having a collection of them, but for android I also use OsmAnd, which uses open source mapping, which a few years ago was terrible, but now is quite often better than OS maps. Downloading for offline use is easy (and free), and places like Surrey Hills not only have all the trails marked, but quite a lot are named too, so its great for exploring new trails. It is great for holidays too, where you can use it in flight mode and the battery lasts forever, I was amazed at the quality of mapping in Germany recently.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use view ranger as well and have just paid for the full uk OS maps. I looked at Free alternatives but none could compete so I did it once and did it right!

Patched version of MM Tracker for Android 4.2 HERE

CountZero

Viewranger here, I had it to start with on a Nokia N95, then when Viewranger finally brought out an iOS app I installed it on my iPhone, and side-loaded all the maps from the DVD onto my phone, and then onto my pad, and added 1:25k tiles as I need them. I believe that Viewranger has the largest range of foreign maps available as well.

Pieface

I use Uk atlas. Was streetmap previously
    Its free or nominal charge IIRC

jaymoid

I use new version of orux maps with a merged mapsources.xml.

I also use mobac with it also though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What OS map app for Android?’ is closed to new replies.