Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What on/offroad CX tyre?
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Basically need a tyre for my Genesis cdf that is not draggy on road but when I cycle to trail centre will work there also with good grip.
    What would you recommend?

dmck16
    Free Member

40c WTB Nano’s are probably the best all rounders.

Despite their tread and size they roll really quite good on the road.
    Off road only becomes a problem when you hit deeper mud or slick grass (since they aren’t knobbly).

EDIT: Provided you have clearance for a 40c tyre?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Max I can go is 33 with mudguards or 35 without

fifeandy
    Free Member

Despite being performance line, i found Schwalbe rapid robs pretty good, don’t break the bank either. Only thing i didnt like is they wore out really quicky.

iainc

I like conti-crossspeed 35s on mine. Very good all-rounder.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have been looking at Clement pdx’s anyone using them.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have been looking at Clement pdx’s anyone using them.

I have them on my training bike. They are a really good intermediate condition tyre. They are pretty good on the road but they do wear quickly.

sefton
    Free Member

I had the pdx they are an all out race tyre for mud. The mxp is more of an all rounder but still a race tyre and is slow on the road and will wear quickly.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

schwalbe smart sam are pretty good if you can’t fit nanos in

ceepers

Clement xplor are good in either flavour (mso or the other one ush?) depending how much off road grip you want

ferrals
    Free Member

put a file tread on the rear, something a bit more intermediate on front?

fudge9202
    Free Member

My problem is I need to cycle 12 miles on the road before I reach my nearest trails and the the same back on the road. So probably moon on a stick

iainc

I had planned to swop out the cross-speeds for light back road touring but they are actually so decent on road I haven’t bothered. Done a few weekends away with them, loaded up with panniers etc. They are no slower than a pair of 32 conti touring slicks I have. Off road they are good in all but proper gloop

ceepers

http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

I’ve ridden plenty of road miles on 32 mso. Currently running 35 ush

http://clementcycling.com/ush

Left them on my cx all winter last year for everything- winter road rides, cx rides and commuting. Less off road grip but ok except mud, plenty fast on road

iainc

^^^ I bought a set of those ush ones for when my cross-speeds wear out. They get good reviews but I haven’t tried them yet. Hope they are as good as the Conti’s …

MoreCashThanDash

Sammy Slicks have done it for me. Cheap as well.

fudge9202
    Free Member

@ceepers does the mso offer good side grip in the corners on gravel/hardback

ceepers

In my experience yes! I think their weakness is mud, on hard packed dirt/ sandy trail/ gravel they’re good!

I’ve done a (slow) winter exmoor 50 mile road ride on them in the past as well! I swapped to ush because in reality the bike gets more road miles and they have a slightly more road (country lane) bias and I’m too lazy to swap tyres around regularly. I’ll probably put the mso back on when it’s summer again and it’s my proper road bike doing the Tarmac miles

ceepers

Just the fact you are on a drop bar rigid bike instead of a mountain bike is the biggest limiting factor on your cornering speed I think!

TubsRacing
    Free Member

I was wondering the same as OP and saw these, heavy but look do it all, anyone used them?scwalbe tyrago

fudge9202
    Free Member

Ceepers that’s a factor I hadn’t taken into account. I’ll be going a damp site slower in the corners that I would on my Horsethief

ceepers

Had these in 38mm too. Better cushioning and off road grip but definitely more draggy on road
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-cx-comp-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24615

fudge9202
    Free Member

There’s no way they will fit
    Think I’ll give the Clements a go

kiwijohn

Specialized Roubaix 32’s. No problems here.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Clement Xplor USH are my favorite. Fast on road, plenty of grip on hardpack considering what they are. Great on gravel roads. Puncture free and wearing well with about 1500Km done.

Quite like Conti Speed for grip but they wear out fast and not that puncture resistant. Mate swears by some other things at 40c. Paid a fortune for them from the states (will try and remember what they are )with similar pattern to the Contis. Already looking shabby on the rear at 300km.

antigee

bit heavy but no punctures for 3 years! 32mm swalbe marathons (green guard) for me – not so good on mud but very predictable on loose gravel roads and great on dusty single track, roll well on tarmac

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-2015

mcnultycop

Content with my Small Block 8s on the road, decent off road.

ampthill

If you actually mean Trail Centre then you can probaly go quite road biased. Its actual mud that needs lots of tread and that isn’t really a feature of most trail centres

fudge9202
    Free Member

Ampthill, the the trails are pretty much gravel/hardback not much mud and I can avoid the real rocky sections so the clement x’plor use would work well.

Dibbs
    Free Member

gravel/hardback not much mud

I use Vittoria XN Pro’s all year round in similar conditions.

senorj

I’ve used cx comps a lot . Good ,cheap and fairly hard wearing. Some punctures.
    Now on land cruisers , which so far appear to be bombproof and heavy.
    I’m lazy so I’ll get used to the weight if it means I’m not fixing a puncture at 5am.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What on/offroad CX tyre?’ is closed to new replies.