Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What on-bike MTB pump?
  • krixmeister

Looking for a replacement for my Specialized pump, which finally died today. Problem I seem to have with all the pumps that acctach via a clamp under one of the water bottle cages is they are low, and thus subject to all the dirt and crap thrown up during a ride. And I’m absolutely not fastidious about cleaning them when I clean my bike!

Having said that, I rarely carry a camelbak or similar, and am always worried about a pump flying out of my back pocket – so the frame mount ones it is.

I’ve not had much success with Lezynes in the past – they seem to die even quicker than others – but if that’s the general consensus that’s what I’ll have to go for.

So – reccos?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have one of the Giant ones, and it’s been faultless so far.

scotroutes

Morph

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FOG

Just put the pump in an inner tube condom, keeps all the crap out and you hardly ever have to clean it!

psycorp
    Free Member

OO Phaart. Cheeap and surprisingly very good.

al2000

Early days, but I like my OneUp EDC pump a lot.

cookeaa

Basic Lifeline from wiggle, It’s their cheapest fully plastic one I carry it on the MTB, built in flexible hose and presta adaptor, it will just about inflate a tube, it’s only really there in case anchovies and/or CO2 fail and I have to resort to a tube and a pump…

BigJohn

I have a Lezyne Pressure Drive. It’s OK-ish, has a good clamp for bottle mounts and has mud seals at each end. However it takes a lot of work to inflate a 2.35 tyre and on the road bike struggles to get over 70 PSI.

I’m just wondering if, and what, to get as a replacement. Does CO2 mess up Stans, as I’ve heard?

What’s the best CO2 inflator, or is there a roadie pump that will get Conti GP 4000 25s up to 80+ PSI in a flash?

daern
    Free Member

I’m just wondering if, and what, to get as a replacement. Does CO2 mess up Stans, as I’ve heard?

I’ve read the same, but TBH, I only use CO2 on the trail and if the price I had to pay for it was to redo the Stans when I got home, I think it’s still worth it for a much smaller toolkit.

Did an event this weekend and it’s lovely to be out without a rucksack.

slowster
    Free Member

However it takes a lot of work to inflate a 2.35 tyre and on the road bike struggles to get over 70 PSI.

You need two pumps: one with a narrow barrel for high pressure road tyres and the other with a wide barrel for high volume MTB tyres. In both cases the longer the barrel, the quicker it will be. So something like the Topeak Pocket Rocket will do high pressures, but the very short barrel means it will take longer, ditto the very short barrelled MTB pumps.

What’s the best CO2 inflator, or is there a roadie pump that will get Conti GP 4000 25s up to 80+ PSI in a flash?

If your bike will accept a frame fit pump, it’s hard to beat the Zefal HPX or Topeak MasterBlaster. Their long narrow barrels will give quick inflation and high pressure.

Edit – If your bike won’t accept a frame fit pump, you could consider the Topeak Speed MasterBlaster which is halfway between the Master Blaster and Pocket Rocket. I think Topeak have stopped making them, but I think you can still buy them at the moment if you hunt around.

BigJohn

I might take a look at the Speed Masterblaster. But I’m keen to know if there’s a difference between different sorts of CO2 inflator. CRC have a couple but they seem to have indifferent reviews.

nickdavies

Off topic but the only time I carry a pump is with a group. Otherwise it’s co2 and a tube. Little topeak mini inflator.

When I do it’s a Topeak mtb one, I find lezyne ones the rubber hose perishes, so for a frame pump id just pick one with solid construction that didn’t cost the earth.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What on-bike MTB pump?’ is closed to new replies.