Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • What old piece of technology/software do you refuse to let go of!?
  • the-muffin-man

For me its Macromedia FreeHand MX.

Despite having the full CS4 suite to go at FreeHand is still my first choice of software for creating logos. Its just so simple and quick to use.

DezB
    Free Member

Paintshop Pro 7.
    Update versions are slow and overcomplicated.

I’m still using a 20 year old Land Rover as my everyday transport. 😀

wombat

I’ve got a pair of 40 year old legs that are still going strong….no plans to change them

nickc

floppy discs for all the excel spreadsheets the business lives on. The whole office use them, nowadays when i buy a new PC I have to get an external USB drive… I could probably stick the whole lot on a server, and wire the whole lot together, but it’s cheap, they work, and they’re convenient.

Torminalis
    Free Member

A 1979 Meridian 101/105 Stereo amplifier. It would cost a fortune to replace it with something new that was as good so I am hanging onto it.

It occured to me recently that my Orange P7 has just had its tenth birthday and I have no intention of replacing that either.

floppy discs – Bwah hah hah ha. A smal usb stick will hold a thousand floppies worth of data.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Not me and not recently but I used to smile at people who insisted on using phones from the early 90s just because they had to pay so much for them back then; bricks for sure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This compute is running windoze 2000 still. It works – however we are now beginning to run in to compatibility issues with stuff as its so old

RealMan
    Free Member

XP on the home computer. I have windows 7 64 bit on the laptop, which I think is great, but XP is just so easy to use, and everything works with it no problems.

Yeah, what’s the maximum capacity of a floppy disc? 250mb? Useless compared to something like this, for example

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/14279533/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-6GB-3-x-2GB-USB-Flash-Drive-Triple-Pack/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:14279533|cat:Flash+Drives

anonymouse
    Free Member

The bicycle

anonymouse
    Free Member

Will nobody admit to IE6?

DezB
    Free Member

Floppy disks reminds me – mini discs. Still use them cos nothing has replaced them! (Donations of old, (working) and unwanted mini disc kit here please 🙂 )

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My home pc runs on xp, I bought it in 2002, still on the original crt monitor, keyboard and speakers.

R reg car so thats near 15 years old? It works alrite still.

Moses

My first big purchase from my first job after college, a 1975 Pioneer receiver. It still does the job.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Yeah, what’s the maximum capacity of a floppy disc? 250mb?

Well 1.4mb roughly…I still have hundreds and had a search to see what I might use them for; some sort of storage maybe or

Cougar

Shame you didn’t ask this question a couple of years back. I’m trying to wean myself off old kit, and have been decomissioning stuff lately.

Recently swapped out my trusty 28″ 4:3 Sony CRT telly for a nice flatscreen telly. At the same time I mothballed my VCR, Laserdisc player and twin cassette deck. Can’t remember when I last used my CD Walkman eiher. Dez – think I’ve got a recording MD Walkman kicking about, make me a nominal offer and it’s yours.

I finally retired my PC last year after being in service since 1998.

Letting go of the Psion 5 hurt. I’ve still got found a modern equivalent, though the Dell Streak looks promising. Shame it doesn’t come with a keyboard (or get updated in a timely manner).

Next to go will be my AV amp I think, time to get something more HD-orientated. That will hurt, it’s fantastic and served me well for years.

What do people do with all this dead kit? It’s all working and probably have some value to someone, seems a shame to toss it all out and I don’t want to stick it on Freecycle for a scrote to sell it for drugs.

matthewjb
    Free Member

anonymouse – Member
    Will nobody admit to IE6?

Still using IE6 here. But only because it’s a work PC using XP and Office 2003.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Some 22 year old Bose 301 speakers – they don’t make em like that anymore.

Office 2003 – because we haven’t bothered to upgrade yet!

15 year old Morphy Richards radio that cost £12 new – batteries last forever and it’s portable. Our two DAB “portables” are hopeless if run without mains power.

djglover
    Free Member

IE6 at work

Just thew out a 12 year old micro system that was in the kitchen. I still have a similar aged wharfdale amp and speakers connected to my ipod now in the lounge, but the still sound really good

nickc

floppy discs – Bwah hah hah ha. A smal usb stick will hold a thousand floppies worth of data.

I don’t need them to hold massive amounts of data, just a few excel spreadsheets for each client. My staff can work on it, save changes, move it to a difference PC whatever.

It works, and it’s cheap, and simple. and if one breaks? so what? It’s just got a couple of spreadsheets for one client, I can restore from the last PC that had the data. It’s almost foolproof.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Safety razors – see thread on shaving. A modern adjustable one, a 1966 Gillette Superspeed and a 1917 Gillete Travel set.

amplebrew

Inner tubes 😉

thepurist

Tivo – got one when they first came out in 2001. $ky+ doesn’t come close.

djglover
    Free Member

25 year old copies of Razzle

beamers

This:

Pace RC200 F8

(not the best picture I know)

brassneck

Roberts radios – buy them whenever I see them at jumbles for much the same reason as SurfMat.

Gets 5Live and Test Match Special, that’ll do me.

It works, and it’s cheap, and simple. and if one breaks? so what? It’s just got a couple of spreadsheets for one client, I can restore from the last PC that had the data. It’s almost foolproof.

Must be a pain finding a PC with a FDD these days – if you have to carry a USB FDD you could streamline a bit.

I used to have to load 12″ floppy disks into a System/36 until as recently as 10 years ago. I really really don’t miss them one bit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

8 speed, ’89 Eunos, ’69 Volvo, XP, 70’s Thorens, various ’90 xt parts, 1923 flat.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

NAD 3020 amp – I’ve had it at least 15 years and it belonged to my brother in law before that.

nickc

Must be a pain finding a PC with a FDD these days

PC world’s biggest selling bit of hardware continues to be a USB driven disc drive…Go figure (I read that somewhere)

Flaperon

Sony MP3 walkman. Now 4 years old, but sounds much much better than any iPod. Only 4GB, and you need the god-awful SonicStage software installed to use it, but I still love the quality of sound it throws out through decent headphones.

Trying to wean myself onto the Nexus One for music, with a 16GB MicroSD card installed the capacity is no problem, but it doesn’t sound as nice as the Sony.

bruneep

Always wanted one of those Pace frames.

RealMan
    Free Member

Inner tubes

Cave man 😉

Cletus

I have an old laptop with Windows 98 that I still use to configure network equipment. The laptop has a proper serial port that is 100% reliable unlike some of the USB/Serial converters that I have used.

Cougar

Yeah, I hear that one. For future reference, the FDTI-chipset adapters work well.

jp-t853

A mobile phone that is just a mobile phone

gonefishin
    Free Member

just a few excel spreadsheets for each client.

If they can fit onto a floppy then they aren’t proper spreadsheets. 😉

fadda

A filofax…

Cougar

I’m all for retro technology, but I can’t think of a single compelling reason to use a USB floppy drive over a USB pendrive. Good grief.

As an aside; I remember a while back in a previous job, on of my then-users rang us to order a new box of floppy disks. I asked, “er, why?” Long story short, she had some arcane piece of software which required backing up weekly and then backup data FTPing to some remote site somewhere. Back in the late Jurassic when this had been implemented, floppy disks had been the obvious solution to bridge the two processes.

Every week, she’d sit there feeding it floppy disks to run the backup, maybe ten disks’ worth. Then, she’d feed them back in, one at a time, whilst the FTP script ran and sucked all the data back off again. It took all afternoon, it was her Friday ritual.

Once I’d done boggling, I thought “there has to be a better way.” I rewrote all the scripts and changed the application settings so that it ran from the hard disk. The new process involved hitting ‘backup’ in the application, double-clicking a script to pre-process the data into the format that the FTP program expected, and then kicking off the transfer. The whole process took about two minutes.

Immensely proud, I rang her back to explain what I’d done. She fundementally couldn’t grasp that she didn’t need the disks any more, because someone had told her they were “important” back in 1927. Every time I explained a step she’d to follow, she replied “right, and do I put my disks in now?”

In the end I gave up, and told her to put a disk in. It never touched it of course, but she seemed happy that she was doing it “right” as long as the disks were involved.

People.

diggers
    Free Member

We actually have a Windows 3.11 machine in my office running monthly reports form DataEase Express.

MrOvershoot

16 year old Toshiba laptop and its running MS DOS 6.22!

Only thing that reliably runs GEM80 emulator.

Oh and we have a variety of DEC PC’s with 486sx chips in still running windows 3.1 for workgroups, SCAD & NIR process applications don’t need much PC power

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What old piece of technology/software do you refuse to let go of!?’ is closed to new replies.