Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What not small car?
  • northernmatt

Currently got a Berlingo but grown a bit bored of it. It’s slow and a bit noisy. The only thing that is still a positive is the ability to swallow loads of stuff.

Thinking of something estate car shaped, diesel, can do around 40-45mpg (this is what the Berlingo averages). Must be big inside. Needs to be able to swallow two weeks worth of camping kit, 2 adults, 1 child (for now) and drive to the south of France in comfort.

I’ve done some digging and come up with a few options just wondering if there are any others that people can recommend or try to put me off the ones I’ve picked out. Don’t really want a people carrier type thing and I definitely don’t want a Vauxhall.

BMW 5 series estate (E60) – either 520d or 525d, preferably M Sport
    Skoda Superb
    Ford Mondeo – this is a maybe, not a huge fan of Mondeos
    Audi A6 – as above, not a huge Audi fan but could be swayed

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Currently got a Berlingo but grown a bit bored of it. It’s slow and a bit noisy.

That’ll learn you for listening to people on here!
    Put the Mercedes E class estate in the mix, it’s massive.

duncancallum

Pug 407?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mondeo is the sensible option, will get much more car pound for pound than BMW.

Of course BMW is the nicer car

tinybits
    Free Member

Mondeo is a great car and does all you’re asking. I’d go for the 525d though, just a nice place to be in. Merc E class I didn’t really like, just too barge like. I’ve owned an A6 2ltr tdi and while very competent at everything, I never actually liked it. Maybe a Passat?
    Of course the default answer in here is a Skoda

jambalaya
    Free Member

Audi A6 is a fabulous motorway car (had one for 120k miles and did numerous trips to Europe). However its got much less luggage space than your Belingo (in truth so have the others) but is the smallest of the cars you’ve mentioned. I think you’ll struggle to regularly see 40+ mpg out of a big estate. We had a 2.7tdi quattro and drove it fairly swiftly and we got high-mid 30’s

A medium sized 4×4 like a Rav4 will tick all yoir boxes except miss fuel economy target by a decent margin

monkeychild
    Free Member

Skoda superb estate is massive. It has oodles of room for those riding inside and can take loads of stuff. I have the hatch as I couldn’t get a petrol estate 🙁 I really like it.

vinnyeh

E61 and A6 are not as large in the back as you might expect.
    Mondeo is bigger, but the Superb has the biggest boots.

Have a think about whether you really need to choose a car based on it’s load carrying ability for a once a year trip – roof boxes and back boxes will transform the amount you can take if you think a slightly smaller, but nicer car will be better for the rest of the year.
    Having said that we have an XC90, a Mondeo estate and a Bongo van. None of which my wife feels really comfortable driving due to their size.

rickmeister

Sharan / Alhambra as an option?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

The BMW will cost more to run and repair but when it’s all ok, you’ll love driving it.

The Mondeo will do the job at a lower price of course.

simon_g

Budget?

If a few grand, hard to look past the older square-backed Honda Accords.

If double that, it’s amazing how young/low-miles a Peugeot 507SW you get for the money and they’re surprisingly good.

chewkw
    Free Member

From your list I would go for a Skoda Superb with automatic gear (DSG whatever).

northernmatt

Vinnyeh – I know what you mean about the size/space thing but we do a few camping trips round the UK each year as well so lots of space is a must really.

I don’t like modern Peugeots, had a hire 508SW at work for a week, hated it.

Budget is about £8-8.5k, beemers at that price are all around or well over the 100k miles mark so I think I’m going to go with the Superb as the first option and see what I can find.

martinhutch

Superb for sure. I’d be happy enough with an Octavia estate TBH.

joat

S-Max? More usable/taller space than an estate. Better looking than most mpvs.

wilburt
    Free Member

Came back from the med in back seat of a five series last year and it was a very comfy place to be, but for the money and just because I like em it would be a superb or possibly and even an octavia they are often bigger in the back than the cars a size up.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The rear seats of the Octavia are nowhere near the same as the Superb (ex Octy owner) It’s like being in a lounge in the back of my barge 😆 I agree it’s not a stunner, but I prefer function over form.

bensales
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

Jaguar XF Sportbrake is a lovely drive and as big as a 5 series. 2.2l is fine, but the 3l is soooo smooth, and surprisingly frugal on fuel.

ade9933
    Free Member

Subaru Legacy / Outback? Lose a bit on MPG, gain a bit on 4WD and generally better prices than BMW.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Does a Giant Anteater qualify for not being a small car? 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What not small car?’ is closed to new replies.