Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • What no cost Full sus all day bike?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Money no object – Remedy 9

For me, money was an object so I got the Remedy 8 –

Drop the front when climbing, then back to 6″ for the descents, easy.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

they have the 9 in my lbs… very nice indeed! I went through this debate for a long time,. looking for the best compromise between xc, all day rides and somthing you can still push hard but still pedal up a hill……..

I am damn happy with this, everything is just spot on….

garlic
    Free Member

best currently available all-rounders are:-

Intense Tracer VP and the Santa Cruz Heckler. As money is no object then you’ll achieve sub 27lbs builds for both. Post some pictures 😉

Ambrose

Nicolai Helius CC or AM

sharki
    Free Member

Most will cost you at some stage or another..

But Orange 5/patriot/160 for simplistic and fewer pivot points to wear out.Team mojo were doing well on the race circuit so must be potential to build up race worthy.

Turner for ease of re lubing pivot points, and chance of building up light…

Nicolai as a bullet proof frame set.

Or a Zesty as they look just so damn good.

Too many options, to much choice……try lots and then get a 160 or perhaps a blood

Coasting
    Free Member

The Cotic Hemlocks worth a look

xc4pot
    Free Member

Enduro is probably the best climbing 6″ bike and descends amazing well.

Just got my blur lt carbon, built to around 25lbs (with heavy dt5.1 rims, nevagal 2.35 tires) climbs like a rocket and descends super well.

Need to get more time on it to see how it holds up to whistler life, most bikes die kinda fast out here.

rkk01
    Free Member

Pace?

charlierevell
    Free Member

Sharki…. I think you might be onto something there! Maybe I’m just telling myself to have a look about before going back to the first full sus I rode this year with a little more travel! (Was a five, so Alpine time? )

catnash
    Free Member

Another vote for the Enduro SL, shop around as there are bargains out there and they’re selling out fast. My small is 26 point something pounds and will take you wherever you want to go. Last year on my Heckler I was going out for 2-3 hour rides, now I’m getting way further into Brechfa/trawscoed and same effort I’m out for 5-6 hour rides.

diggers
    Free Member

incredible! are you sure you aren’t ever so slightly exaggerating?

DezB
    Free Member

575 (it goes up, it goes down, it goes along, it makes me happy. Still no desire for nother bike after 3 years!)
    Also worth a look:
    Pace 405/506
    Lapierre Spicy/Zesty
    Turner
    Intense
    Nomad
    Mojo

God, there’s loads – look at em all see what you like the look of (can’t be that fugly Scott!), then ride them.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Arrghh… Blood keeps coming back to haunt me saying, BUY ME, BUY ME!
    I guess it would go up ok, and certainly make me stronger to climb the HT.
    Speccy is Carbon tho, and i’ve snapped one carbon frame this year already! Its also got silly triple clamps!

catnash
    Free Member

Yes a little diggers ;-), could be the weather has been better for the rides. It’s a great bike though definately get further better wheels etc.
    I think if there’s one bike there if you dont like carbon the turner 5 spot, never heard a bad word about those. Nearly bought one years ago, my LBS stopped selling them and I needed to part ex a bike to get a new bike.

Chase
    Free Member

RM Slayer SXC…..

32lb. Could be lighter still with different forks and wheels but I like the confidence that they give me. Climbs well too.

Run a search for some reviews – hardly a bad word said about them.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It’s a tough choice. So many good bikes out there now.
    I started off with a shortlist of 23 and took a year to choose one 😕

Crell
    Free Member

I answered the same question with a Foes XCT-5. My shortlist included the Turner, 575 and 5.5. It’s 27.5 ish lbs as as you see it below. There’s so much choice though go with what you want and what puts a smile on your face. The Curnutt air shock does give a ride like no other. (sweeping generalisation but you get the point)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Going the 100mm travel route will make things lighter.
    Is there a real need for more than 100mm?!
    Tim

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius CC, 89 to 130mm of rear travel, nice and light, fully customizeable (is that a word?) and pretty rare 😀

This is mine
    , weighs 27lbs all up, although now with SPD’s

This is a factory built one

Builds can be found HERE from 3800 to 5400 euros

radoggair
    Free Member

If cost is no object then a Turner 5 Spot would get my vote. My Horst Link one broke after 5 years of hard riding but I would still recommend them. Planning on getting a new one if I can’t source a replacement front triangle. I was gutted it broke but it’s by far the best bike I’ve ever owned – was built light for XC then a bit heavier for Alpine riding.

sanny, i have a 2005 turner 5 spot front triangle dangling in my garage. Its got a dent on the down tube, can send pictures so got a replacement of Turner just in case. E-mail me what you think or if you require more photo’s

SidewaysTim

Slight hijack, but it might be of interest to someone reading this post. We have a large DW 5 Spot and medium DW Flux in stock, both of which we managed to score at the pre,pre-increased prices. So if anyone wants a new Turner and would like to save £200, I’m happy to sell them at the price they should have been.

If that makes sense, drop me a mail.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

S-T so basically your selling at the rrp at the time you got it…. mmmm not really a saving is it, more the correct price at time of stock.

SidewaysTim

Look at it like a way to travel back through time to when they were £200 less then, if you like.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

errrm still rrp then 🙄

Now drop £400 off the new prices or £200 off the old prices now that would be worth shouting about! as it is old stock = old rrp

Sorry im in procurement 🙂

GavinT
    Free Member

Sorry im in procurement

He’s talking about bikes here, not rent-boys.

;o)

AndyP
    Free Member

ah. ‘in procurement’ = ‘a cock’?
    I iz getting the hang of this yoof speak. innit.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

no he’s obviously a shop trying to flog a bike… at full rrp and trying to make it sound like its a deal even though they got it at pre increased prices. Paying full rrp (based on what the shop got it for) is not a deal! Now offering 10% off or whatever would be… I wont however mention that shops are not supposed to flog on here…… ah

Its kind of like me buying some brakes at £100, 2 months later they get hiked up to £120 rrp then I sell them for £100 (what I paid) and say its a bargain and saving of £20…..

chip on our shoulder andy? im 34 so not youth, just pointing out the obvious.

Stu_N

Alternatively, it’s the shop offering to sell at prevailing RRP when they bought the stock which is, in my book, a deal considering RRP has since risen and there is nothing to stop the shop selling at new RRP. Depends whether pricing is on acquisition cost or replacement cost basis doesn’t it?

If you work in procurement your suppliers must love you. Do you go through their inventory every time you buy something and find out what their price when they bought it was? (by the sounds of things, yes must be the answer).

john_l
    Free Member

It *is* a saving to whoever’s buying it though isn’t it, if the price has now increased.

Do you get many deals done?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

yes thank you, saved over 2 million this year and won procurement awards (national)I have set up more contracts then I have had hot dinners! but thats what i get paid for….

if the shop sold it at the new prices it would be un ethical as they are making additional profit over what they paid for it (as they brought it based on old prices). But hey if you want to buy an old stock bike at full rrp go ahead…. I will guarantee there are bargains out there below rrp, its a buyers market atm! how many people really pay full rrp?

Ho hum your choice,

And yes I do with my suppliers, it called open book partnership to benefit all parties… works a treat!

Stu_N

Well I’m glad taxpayers’ money is safe in your hands. Makes a change from the usual “spunk it up the wall” approach of the civil service.

john_l
    Free Member

it called open book partnership to benefit all parties… works a treat!

what do they need you for then? :o)

daveevs
    Free Member

To help with the original question:

“Am loving hardtails but fancy something a bit quicker on the downs.
    However, it also needs to go up!”

If you love hardtails, I’d say forget 150mm travel as 4 inches is the new six. Try an Orange ST4 or Cannondale Rise/Rush with nice wheels and as good a build as you can go. Should see 25lbs of very fast ride for that.

samuri
    Free Member

Its kind of like me buying some brakes at £100, 2 months later they get hiked up to £120 rrp then I sell them for £100 (what I paid) and say its a bargain and saving of £20…..

What brakes are they? If I can get them 20 quid cheaper than what they’re selling for normally I might be interested. Sounds like a bargain.

radoggair
    Free Member

yes thank you, saved over 2 million this year and won procurement awards (national)I have set up more contracts then I have had hot dinners! but thats what i get paid for….

what if you only eat cold food??
    P.s. if every site switched 1 light off in the company i work for an extra 1hr a day then my company will also save 2 million a year
    Also, in procurement, large companies will fluctuate in prices between suppliers a few times a month but will only update that price to the site they sell it to(within their own company) once a month.

buly79
    Free Member

I really loved my hartail riding too and like you wanted full sus too make the downs a bit faster and smoother too. I had a Marin Rocksprings a good few years ago and was soon put off by how poorley it climbed so went back to hardtails very quickley and have only this year got myself another full sus rig. I went for the Orange Blood and have never looked back, it’s a blast on the downs and climbs no problem at all I love it.

duckman

In defence of Tim, how many shops are keeping prices down to pre increase level, anything with shimano on it being an example.But I also see smonkeys pov as well. Anyway…Buy an Orange 5 and built it light…

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What no cost Full sus all day bike?’ is closed to new replies.