Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What next after 24″ kids bikes?
  • pdw
    Free Member

Both of my two kids have both pretty much outgrown their 24″ bikes, and I’m struggling a bit to know what to do next, as they’re now too big for many dedicated kids ranges, but are still off the bottom of the size chart for many adult bikes.  Currently looking at the Trek Roscoe and Canyon Grand Canyon/Neuron/Spectral, all of which have XS or XXS sizes with 27.5″ wheels.  Probably looking at going full suspension for my son, and HT for my daughter.

Any suggestions for other brands/models to be looking at?

nwgiles

We went from a Cannondale Cujo 24 to a Orbea Hard tail in XS with 27.5 wheels

a11y

Are they too tall for the 26″ Vitus range? 140-158cm recommended height range on those.

Mine are 150cm and 157cm. Shorter mini-a11y still on the Vtus Nucleus 26 HT. Taller mini-a11y moved to a small Ragley Marley 27.5″ HT (recommended 160-170cm) when she was 156cm, and very comfortably fits that incuding a 105cm dropper with space to spare.

(if a used, cared for 26″ Vitus is of interest, let me know…)

johnnystorm

Just got my 10 year old a Vitus Nucleus 26 in the sale. Wondering if the next step will be to swap the bits onto an adult 26 when she outgrows it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mine went from a Saracen mantra 24 and a Vitus Nucleus 24 to a Spesh Rockhopper 27.5 in XS.

How tall are yours? It’s also worth considering their weight as it might be very difficult to get the suspension working properly on a FS designed for adults. Personally I wouldn’t bother as they generally don’t need it unless they’re wannabe DH racers, Propain do kiddie specific FS if you really must.

MoreCashThanDash

We went to 26″ at the time, may not be so easy to get decent wheels and tyres now to upgrade.

lardman
    Free Member

Mine all went to small 27.5 frames, running 26″ wheels for a few years. Short cranks (155’s)will offset the lowered bottom bracket and are better for shorter legs anyway.

hot_fiat

My son has gone to a 26″ wheeled orange zest that I found on ebay one night. He was just slightly too small for his mum’s old 26″-wheeled kona kikapu which I think is a 15″ frame. You can still find bits and pieces for 26″ wheeled bikes online. In-store stock is a different matter, but it isn’t really a problem. Really small 27.5″ wheeled bikes just look wrong.

BillOddie

One of mine went from 24in Saracen Mantra to 26in Orange Five (XS), the other went from 24in Saracen Mantra (we had 2 of these at one point) to a 27.5 Ragley Blue Pig (also XS).

Worth sizing based on the assumption you can squeeze a 125mm dropper in when new.

ads678

I had a 26″ wheeled Giant Trance for my lad, I think the more recent liv models come in really small sizes as well. Also had a Trek Marlin 27.5 which has a 13.5″ frame, started daughter off with 26″ wheels then stuck some 27.5″ wheels as she got a bit bigger. Shes just moved up to a bigger bike which will last her years now.

I keep meaning to put it up for sale actually. Was going to keep the fork and build a DJ/pump track bike but think I’ll just sell the lot.

27.5″ wheels

IMG_20240217_123427875_HDR

26″ wheels

IMG_20211014_104948806_HDR (2)

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Mine went onto an XS Whyte 806 with 27.5″ wheels. They can ride it but I do wonder if a 26er would have been better. I’ve got quite a few wheels and forks lying around now so I might experiment with 26 wheels on the Whyte when I get a moment

alan1977
    Free Member

nipper went Orbea MX24 to Orbea MX 27.5, but then to a 26 full sus ebike, now 147 cm it’ll probably only do him another 18 months, but i guess he wont be too far off fitting my mediums by then, so I’m hoping i can work something out like that, certainly make bike storage easier ;p

pdw
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Are they too tall for the 26″ Vitus range? 140-158cm recommended height range on those.

My daughter is 148cm, but 69cm inside leg, so already pretty much at the limit for the 26″, but apparently still 12cm too short for the 27.  Looking at the geometry, the reach does seem relatively long.

It’s also worth considering their weight as it might be very difficult to get the suspension working properly on a FS designed for adults.

It’s a fair point.  I’ve definitely had mixed experience with suspension forks on their bikes.  The one on my son’s Early Rider Hellion is great, and clearly makes a big difference.  The one my daughter’s Vitus not so much – the non-adjustable damping seems tuned to running a uselessly high pressure.  The Canyons are marketed as youth bikes and claim to be tuned for lighter riders.  I’d not come across Propain – thanks.  Don’t seem to be available currently, but I’ll keep an eye on it as replacing my son’s bike is a little less urgent.

a11y

My daughter is 148cm, but 69cm inside leg, so already pretty much at the limit for the 26″, but apparently still 12cm too short for the 27. Looking at the geometry, the reach does seem relatively long.

That’s tricky: a 26″ might not last her long but might still be a necessary stepping stone onto a small 27.5″. If it helps, around the time of this pic, mini-a11y #1 was 154cm with a 75cm inside leg and still comfortable riding her Vitus 26″, so that might be the size to go for at 148cm/69cm.

Comparing the Vitus 26″ with our size small Ragley Marley 27.5, the Ragley has a 24mm longer ST (356mm vs 380mm) and 20mm longer reach (396mm vs 415mm). Not huge differences. My youngest hasn’t tried her sister’s Marley recently but she wasn’t ready when she last tried it at (I think) 147cm with 68cm inside leg.

Good point above re crank length. Vitus 26″ has 165mm cranks as standard which is ridiculous – I replaced those with 150mm one which helps a lot. Similar with the Ragley: 170mm cranks replaced with 150mm ‘Goldix’ Aliexpress cranks.

Rich_s

Just upgraded my youngest to a 26″ xs Giant Anthem, but kept her on 24″ wheels.

Thread here.

NBD for 8.5 year old girl content

She’s about 142cm and the 75mm kids Brand-x dropper fits a treat for her.

I can see it growing with her for a couple of years but once she’s at 152 ish it’ll have to go. Have some upgrades to 26″ and droppers to go through first, though 😉

reeksy

From fat 24″ straight to a Marlin XS 27.5  with an air fork and a dropper with no issues. Immediately noticed how much faster they were with the bigger wheels.

Then when the ridiculous growth spurt happened an adult M 29er.

petrieboy

We’ve had XS marlin and a pair of XS rockhoppers for our lot. Rockhoppers had the nicest paint finish, but otherwise little to choose between them.

TiRed

We went to XS 26” mtb and an XS Giant Defy for road. A high spec ladies Giant hard tail in tasteful black with pink hilights. son2 loved it, as does the new owner, a petite former work colleague. XS frames are hard to source and new ones sell out very quickly.

matt_outandabout

+1 on Trek and Giant/Liv doing really good XS and S sized bikes. We have had a few for the kids over the years, plus mrs_oab’s lofty 5′ stature needs an XS permanently…

nixie

Vitus nucleus 26 for our daughter. She really likes it. Looking at a Trek x caliber for the next bike after that. XS available with 27.5 wheels or small with either wheel size. I’d like to get her onto 29 if possible but not sure yet.

mtbnovice

My eldest went from a 24 Saracen Mantra to a Whyte 405 Junior 26 when he was 10. Very happy with the Whyte, it’s perfect for general trail use and he definitely improved his riding capability on both the ups and downs! The Saracen was also a great bike.

grimep
    Free Member

I found the Voodoo Nzumbi 26″ fits the role perfectly. My youngest has just outgrown it and moved on to a 27.5″ medium frame Kona

ajantom

For my 10yr old daughte, I found a 13″ DMR Trailstar frame (inc a Hope headset and BB!) for £80 on ebay, and built it up from my pile of unused 26″ parts.

Fits perfectly, and she’s enjoying some proper rides on it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.