• This topic has 42 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What new monitor for WFH?
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Thinking I need a new monitor for development work. Want to try one big one instead of two.

Can anyone recommend any? I was thinking maybe 32 inch?

willard

Samsung do a huuuuuuge curved one that the kids in the office seem to like. It is expensive, but should fit that requirement.

FuzzyWuzzy

What budget and what resolution are you looking to run it at? Dell monitors are generally good quality and reasonably priced but there’s a big price jump from 27″ to 32″ in their range. You might also want to look at 34″+ ultrawides, they won’t be that much more as are generally more popular than 32″ these days.

I still say you’d be better off with 2 x 27″ monitors, one for coding in and the other for stackoverflow/google to copy from :p

dc1988

I don’t have one quite that big (only 28″) but I definitely prefer one big screen to two smaller ones. I have a Benq purely because my work use them and they seem very reliable.

ta11pau1

Ultrawide is brilliant, you can either use it as one massive screen or it’s perfect for splitting windows and using as 2 screens.

Got an LG 34″ 3440×1440 IPS one myself. https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34WL750

db

I have a twin 24″ ViewSonic set up (prefer 2 smaller to 1 big!). Probably wouldn’t recommend them. Got a couple of white pixels on one and never had this on previous Dell and Samsung screens.

jhnr
    Free Member

I use a 27″ BenQ IPS and a 24″ BenQ TN Panel turned length-ways which I find useful for reading docs/websites, or split it in half for youtube/work. I think the 27 was 275 quid, I was really tempted with an ultrawide but didn’t have the budget for what I thought would be a good one.

If you want to go for 32″ I’d stay away from 1080p it will look crap, go at least 1440p (this is what my 27″ is and its lovely and crisp)

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Agree with the recommendations to go wide. Two spreadsheets next to each other is a wonder 🙂

In classic STW style, I’m recommending the one I have: MSI from AO

It’s a deal cheaper than other 34s, but for my needs it’s absolutely brilliant. It’s easy on the eye.

Only lookout is: it’s not height adjustable without putting it on an arm, and you need a bracket from MSI in Poland to do that at a grand cost of £15 or so.

geomickb
    Free Member

Was hoping (dreaming) of spending £200 .

Resolution as high a possible (got to be higher than 1920 x 1080?), I want to be able to have IDE on one side and a couple of browsers on the other side.

sl2000

I have a cheap (£230) Philips 27″ 4k one. I have it running at 150% scaling so not really space to run both an IDE and browser – you might be OK if your eyes are better than mine. It’s a fixed height stand which I’m fine with. I’d have a liked an ultra wide one but like you didn’t want to spend too much.

If you work with other people an issue with using only an ultra wide monitor is screen sharing – it’s difficult to see what someone is doing if they share their large screen with you on your smaller one. I run my laptop screen as a 2nd monitor and screen share that.

simon_g

I use a 40” 4k TV. Seems you can only get 43” now but that’s barely any bigger.

baboonz
    Free Member

Size wise a 27 inch allows you to splitscreen without compromise, but without being too big of a monitor.

TheBrick
    Free Member

use a 40” 4k TV. Seems you can only get 43” now but that’s barely any bigger

How do you find this? Do you split the screen? I have been considering it but thinking it may be too tall / looking up too much.

I’ve got a Samsung UHD 4k 32″ – decided against ultrawide, as it’s in the summer house/office and I want to be able to use it for Sky Go/Netflix etc.

It’s plent big enough to have 2 x spreadsheets side by side.

Get some stuttering watching football though – need to try and suss out if it’s the monitor or graphics card

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j9hq3K]2020-06-06_04-40-06[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

simon_g

How do you find this? Do you split the screen? I have been considering it but thinking it may be too tall / looking up too much.

Had a couple of years on it now and still really like it. Inches/£ ratio is unbeatable and it makes 4K useful because you don’t have to scale much (or at all if your eyes are good) so more space to use.

Windows has snapping to sides/corners that works well, you can use it a bit like 4 monitors in 2×2, or I often have something tall on one side, and smaller windows on the other. Or just a jumble of windows, you never need to maximise anything.

There’s no height adjust but you keep the main windows you’re using at a comfy height on the screen. I use a standing desk so rather than adjust the height of a monitor between sit and stand I have windows higher or lower. Think of it like a 34” ultra wide but with more screen to use above and below your main area.

Downside is using a remote to turn on/off (or scrabble around the back for the buttons) and it won’t sleep with the PC like a normal monitor. And it’ll only do 60hz at 4K, and only on HDMI. Hasn’t been a problem for me but I don’t play any fast paced games on it.

geomickb
    Free Member

I reckon I need 3440 x 1440, won’t be using it for anything other than work.

geomickb
    Free Member
    TheBrick
    Free Member

…..Hasn’t been a problem for me but I don’t play any fast paced games on it.

Thanks. I am not games player either and the £per pixel is good as you say

mattyfez
    twonks

I had a 27″ 1080p monitor and then upgraded to the below 1440P 32″

https://www.cclonline.com/product/viewsonic-vx3276-2k-mhd-monitor-32-inch-2560-x-1440-qhd-ips-panel-75hz-grey-vx3276-2k-mhd-254493/

Looks a lot better at the higher resolution – so much so that the 27″ (now back in the office) looks rubbish in comparison.

If your graphics card can handle it, I’d always go for 32″ and 1440P at least, especially if using software that commands screen size.

Speeder

I got one of the 34″ curved Samsung ones off FB marketplace when I needed to replace my aging pair of 20″s. It was £300 2nd hand (seemed to be over £1k new) but it is great.

fenlander
    Free Member

I have one of these (actually an older version) 4k monitors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-U2879VF-Inches-LED-Monitor/dp/B06W9MQ74G/

Brilliant for work (even with a laptop with puny integrated graphics) – can have multiple spreadsheets/documents side by side. And fits with your budget. If you are not gaming, no need to pay more IMHO.

spooky_b329

How do the Ultrawides work in practise?

Do they have two input leads (Displayport/HDMI etc) or does it appear as just one monitor to the laptop?

Can you maximise a screen in the left half and a screen in the right or do you use the snap to edge function? On my work laptop there seems to be certain programs that won’t snap to the edge.

mattyfez

They just work like one big monitor, so youd maybe have to resize your windows a bit, but you can also snap windows to one half of the screen with specific gestures so you can easily have one app and one browser, for example.

Also you don’t need an expensive graphics card for high resolution just for apps and videos… But you will for gaming.

ta11pau1

Some monitors will have dual HDMI inputs so you can set it up as 2 monitors, I just use the snap to function as it also means you can have the Windows different sizes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m currently reading this thread on one of these: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-34-curved-ultrawide-monitor-u3415w/apd/210-adtr

(wish I’d not clicked on that link as now I feel the need to have another sat next to it – 68″ wide screen!)

ahsat

I’ve just bought one of these to upgrade my WFH as I’m going to likely be here the majority of the time for the next 6-12 months.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-iiyama-prolite-xb2783hsu-b3-fhd-monitor-amvaplus-1920×1080-4ms-30001-80m1-has-pivot-swivel-vesa-d

Hoping it’s ok for general office work (Uni lecturer/researcher). Was tempting to go up resolution but it can become never ending £££…

Arrives tomorrow. Let’s see.

scuttler

Get a cheap one in case you want to repeatedly punch the **** out of it.

ahsat

I’ve just bought one of these to upgrade my WFH as I’m going to likely be here the majority of the time for the next 6-12 months.

“27” iiyama ProLite XB2783HSU-B3 FHD Monitor, AMVA+, 1920×1080, 4ms”

Hoping it’s ok for general office work (Uni lecturer/researcher). Was tempting to go up resolution but it can become never ending £££…

Arrives tomorrow. Let’s see.

It’s arrive – looks good and like the size. For those in doubt, for 27″ plus go with 2560×1440 if you can. Ok, I probably could of, but I dont really need it and it was just more money – this all looks fine, but in places the text is a little ‘soft’ and images could be a tiny bit sharper. However, it was £180….can’t really complain, and my screens at work are no better.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Dell. In ultra sharp flavour.

I asked this question a while ago on here and seemed to be the recommended one. As it turns out same as I have at work so plumbed for one and does the job nicely.

footflaps

I came across this blog the other day, lots of info on how text renders on monitors and various settings etc

https://tonsky.me/blog/monitors/

peekay

It might be old news for most of you, but for Windows users the short cuts for splitting and snapping screens are really handy and save fiddling about resizing windows if trying to work on multiple things, especially useful if you have a big monitor.

When you have a programme open, press (Windows key) + (a Left /right direction arrow) and it will split 50:50 horizontally.

Once you are split horizontally you can then do the same with the (Windows key) + (up/down direction arrow) to quarter the screen.

kelvin

I came across this blog the other day, lots of info on how text renders on monitors and various settings etc

That is a GREAT link. Seen most of that before, but not all in one handy place. Ta.

molgrips
    Free Member

The cheapest 4k one I could get through work was AOC U2879VF. It’s pretty good for the money.

but you can also snap windows to one half of the screen with specific gestures

Not on Mac…?

timmys

For those in doubt, for 27″ plus go with 2560×1440 if you can.

Yes, this – but without the “if you can”. Putting 1920×1080 on a 27″ monitor is always going to be grim. That’s the same number of pixels you are probably used to running on a 12-15″ laptop screen, those pixels are going to be massive when you stretch them across 27″.

timmys

Not on Mac…?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204948

(plus lots of 3rd party apps that will enable more options)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i bought a Dell one (27″) and unless you have a dell PC the speakers are an aboslute nightmare to get going. Spent hours trying to do so and then one day just after a Windows update they came alive and sounded absolute gash!

I also bought it not checking if it had a VESA mount as I wanted to mount it on the wall and hey presto they didn’t. I though every monitor would have them, but not Dell low spec ones.

my OH has two curved samsung ones and to be fair they’re great.

ahsat

Yes, this – but without the “if you can”. Putting 1920×1080 on a 27″ monitor is always going to be grim. That’s the same number of pixels you are probably used to running on a 12-15″ laptop screen, those pixels are going to be massive when you stretch them across 27″.

So much so @timmy after a few hours with the 1080p yesterday I decided to return it. 1440p turning up today! So fully agree – ALWAYS go higher than 1080 on a 27”+. Hopefully the new one is better. The 1080 was fundamentally usable but started to give me eye ache!

ahsat

It might be old news for most of you, but for Windows users the short cuts for splitting and snapping screens are really handy

@peekay
    – you have just revolutionised my life 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What new monitor for WFH?’ is closed to new replies.