• This topic has 333 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 334 total)
  • What new 'enduro' bike?
  • grum
    Free Member

Are you sure you know what you’re doing? That’s a heck of a lot of money just to spend on something that “looks cool”

Nope I have no clue – I just acted on impulse. It’s what everyone does really, some people are just better at convincing themselves they’ve made a logical evidence-based decision.

🙂

5. We rationalize purchases we don’t want

I’m as guilty of this as anyone. How many times have you gotten home after a shopping trip only to be less than satisfied with your purchase decisions and started rationalizing them to yourself? Maybe you didn’t really want it after all, or in hindsight you thought it was too expensive. Or maybe it didn’t do what you hoped, and was actually useless to you.

Regardless, we’re pretty good at convincing ourselves that those flashy, useless, badly thought-out purchases are necessary after all. This is known as post-purchase rationalization or Buyer’s Stockholm Syndrome.

The reason we’re so good at this comes back to psychology of language:

Social psychologists say it stems from the principle of commitment, our psychological desire to stay consistent and avoid a state of cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is the discomfort we get when we’re trying to hold onto two competing ideas or theories. For instance, if we think of ourselves as being nice to strangers, but then we see someone fall over and don’t stop to help them, we would then have conflicting veiws about ourselves: we are nice to strangers, but we weren’t nice to the stranger who fell over. This creates so much discomfort that we have to change our thinking to match our actions—i.e. we start thinking of ourselves as someone who is not nice to strangers, since that’s what our actions proved.

So in the case of our impulse shopping trip, we would need to rationalize the purchases until we truly believe we needed to buy those things, so that our thoughts about ourselves line up with our actions (making the purchases).

The tricky thing in avoiding this mistake is that we generally act before we think (which can be one of the most important element that successful people have as traits!), leaving us to rationalize our actions afterwards.

Being aware of this mistake can help us avoid it by predicting it before taking action—for instance, as we’re considering a purchase, we often know that we will have to rationalize it to ourselves later. If we can recognize this, perhaps we can avoid it. It’s not an easy one to tackle, though!

I’ve ridden quite a lot of bikes and I enjoyed riding them all in different ways. None of them were shite, some just weren’t set up very well for me. If I really hate it I’ll sell it but I doubt I will.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nope I have no clue – I just acted on impulse. It’s what everyone does really, some people are just better at convincing themselves they’ve made a logical evidence-based decision.

😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Grum – I’m 5ft 8in and the large Capra was the right length for me (but too tall).

I think the small might be a mistake. You can always get a short stem on the medium.

woody2000

Glad it’s not just me then 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I bought my reign because I liked the colour (and it was recommended by someone whose opinion I respect) but mainly the colour.

grum
    Free Member

Yup I’ve emailed and asked about switching to a medium. I can’t see it being a problem as the delivery estimate on the medium isn’t until the 9th December.

chestrockwell

Get an Orange as that’s what you really want. How about this?

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b114s377p5195/ORANGE_Five_Pro_MK2_Sterling_Silver_2015

Pikes, Reverb, Pro2 etc. 😉

You should also check out the Alpine 5. I went from a 26″ 5 to the 29″ and really rate it. If you’re near Skipton you’re welcome to have a go.

grum
    Free Member

Don’t care if it’s too short,, mmmmm……..

kwack
    Free Member

Funniest post I have read for ages on here

Thanks to Deviant
    Some very po faced and serious (boring) cyclists on here.

Get a test ride, if you can’t then take a punt….that’s the joy of bikes, they all ride differently.
    So what if the top tube is slightly short….fit a 5mm longer stem and move the saddle back another 5mm…..there you go, you’ve just gained 10mm more TT.

Some of the comments….’l only ride horst link’…..’l used CAD to superimpose the geometry over my old bike’…..jesus wept, you guys are missing out….seriously.

There are so many good bikes and so little time (and money) to own them all!…..i currently have a DW/maestro but I’ve had linkage driven single pivot….I’d like to try Horst….I’d like to try VPP….I’d like to try an Orange-5 etc

This thread has descended into another example of why I don’t ride with others and am loathe to call myself a MTBer, as a group we really are a sad sad bunch.

jimjam
    Free Member

wrecker

How very dare you. Jimjam used to work in CRC. Knows much more than either of those oafs.

Clearly you’re still badly butthurt after getting put in your place. Sorry 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This thread has descended into another example of why I don’t ride with others and am loathe to call myself a MTBer, as a group we really are a sad sad bunch

If you think that this place is representative of yer average MTBer, then you are quite deluded. The vast majority of my riding mates either have no interest, or haven’t even heard of it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Clearly you’re still badly butthurt after getting put in your place. Sorry

You? put someone in their place? 😆
    I’d like to see that. You’ve been ripped on a few threads now, including by poisonspider. Perhaps you should try a new approach rather than “self appointed bike expert” because you’re clearly not very good at it.

jimjam
    Free Member

Oh sorry, you’re right, there were other people who put you in your place. As for poisonspider I think it’s pretty obvious he’s annoyed that I criticised his bike and has spent three pages trying to undermine a simple statement I made about my priorities when choosing a bike, which made a lot more sense than his.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh sorry, you’re right, there were other people who put you in your place.

Yeah you carry on telling yourself that.

he’s annoyed that I criticised his bike

Why do you think that might be? All you do it criticise, based on some pretty bloody shaky rationale (I worked in a bike shop etc). Perhaps you should stop presenting your opinion (which doesn’t carry as much weight as you think it does) as fact and be a bit more positive?

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m not being negative I’m being objective. I don’t have a dog in this fight. Not attacking him but it was Glasgowdan (and someone else) who said the bike lacked class or was common. Poisonspider is focusing on disecting my statements because I’m not being subjective I’m being rational. If someone feels the bike is common, what can you say to that? They’re a bit of a bike snob (but that’s okay it’s stw).

I’m sorry if I’m winding you up, if you want we can let it go and not mention hope or shimano brakes ever again.

wrecker
    Free Member

You’re not winding me up jimjam, you are however coming across a bit “internet expert”. Is it really surprising some are getting defensive about bikes they have spent £3K on?
    You wouldn’t go into someones “new bike” thread and say “nah, that’s shit, I don’t like it” would you?

jimjam
    Free Member

No, I wouldn’t slate someone’s new bike and that’s not what I’m doing. This thread is someone contemplating a purchase so criticism of a possible contender is relevant. It’s not slagging someone else bike choice, although it has turned into slagging someone else’s rationale or bike buying process. If nothing else I’d say it’s helping the op.

you are however coming across a bit “internet expert”

Nothing I wouldn’t say to someone’s face, but it’s the internet. Honestly, you’d love me if you knew me 😛 (that may not be true).

deviant
    Free Member

My 16 inch HT with 140mm forks would be some people’s idea of a nightmare (i’m 5′ 9″ by the way, so probably looks like a circus bear riding a bike)….i love it though, love the ease with which it changes direction, love how easy it is to get in the air, love the confidence inspiring steel girder like construction that allows me to ride like a pillock and get away with it….always fun at places like BMCC, Antur, BPW, FoD etc and trying to chase down the full-on DH bikes….not always successfully i might hasten to add!

Its a laugh and thats what bikes are for me, i have no intention of entering Enduros on it….i occasionally find a local DH race with a HT category and have a competitive outing in that respect.

I have a Trance with 160mm forks for the serious side of this sport where everyone seems to compare themselves and their bikes to each other and pick holes in millimetres of difference in geometry….part of me hates myself for getting suckered into it, i was happy with HTs but i have ridden FS before and i’ll concede they are easier/better over truly horrendous terrain….only thing i’ve done as a two fingered salute to the MTB gods is ditch the Rockshox suspension it came with and go full in with X-Fusion front and rear…always gets some looks that one!…almost like people arent expecting me to get down the hill in one piece with such ‘inferior’ chassis tech on my bike, haha!

poisonspider
    Free Member

Erm…have you read the posts?

JJ

How many times?? Give me strength.

(CAPS means shouting right?)

I DON’T CARE IF YOU DON’T LIKE MY BIKE!!!

I DON’T CARE IF NO-ONE LIKES MY BIKE, IT’S ALL PERSONAL CHOICE AFTERALL!!!

What is irritating is the nonsense you spout about being able to judge a bike by its static numbers. All that crap about assessing it’s dynamics and kinematics. I bet you can’t even explain the difference between the two without Googling it. And to then go on to say all magazine reviewers at crap riders who simply write reviews based on fear and bribery. Wtf?

God you’re obtuseness is exhausting. You have such an over inflated sense of your own ace-ness that you can’t see you talking rubbish. When you have an opportunity to prove yourself you bottle it by saying you not going to dignify it with a response. I suspect deep down you know it’s garbage.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, put a sock in it you two, or take it outside……

Meanwhile, back in the real world of riding bikes for fun. I have realised that it doesn’t take long to get on with a new bike even if its different to your old bike.

I found I adapted pretty quickly. I discovered this when testing a few new bikes for long weekends.

It starts with a quick spin – that just leaves you thinking the new bike is odd / different

Then you stop and adjust the various bits you can tweak, like bar/saddle position, suspension settings etc. and ride it some more.

Then over a day or three you adapt your riding a bit. Small differences can be adapted to. You can even put different tyres on and change the way it feels.

If you stick to just one geometry or one style of riding I think your quite likely to miss out on discovering new things – some may be better, some just different.

wrecker
    Free Member

Meanwhile, back in the real world of riding bikes for fun.

BINGO!
    I’ve had quite a lot of bikes; Intense, Commencal, Knolly, Spesh, Turner, SC, Giant, Nicolai, Transition. I couldn’t explain the difference in how any of them ride, axle paths, kinematics or any other technical thingy. I had fun on all of them though.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    OK, put a sock in it you two, or take it outside……

Whilst I don’t recognise an admonishment from you, you’re not my Dad!

I’ll accept this spat is going nowhere, I think he’s an arse and I’m sure the feeling is mutual, that’s not likely to change so it is time to move on.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think you’re an arse. Let’s move on.

tops5
    Free Member

Ah just like the old days! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Each thinks the other an arsehole. Because of a bicycle. We are funny old creatures aren’t we?

grum
    Free Member

So….. much as I’ve enjoyed this little exchange. I got a reply from YT (pretty good response time) and they basically said if you ride bike parks a lot and want a ‘play’ bike get the small, but if it’s for general riding: ‘going on a tour or going really fast’, get the medium. Seems reasonable – I’m gonna go with the medium.

Thanks everyone.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I got a reply from YT (pretty good response time) and they basically said if you ride bike parks a lot and want a ‘play’ bike get the small, but if it’s for general riding: ‘going on a tour or going really fast’, get the medium.

Yeah but wadda they know? 🙄

Now I’ll move on 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

6 pages, a handful of recommendations and evidence that YT can answer emails pretty quick.

Cheers all :S

poisonspider
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    6 pages, a handful of recommendations and evidence that YT can answer emails pretty quick.

Cheers all :S

So what are you buying then?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Evil Insurgent naturally because they’re head and shoulders above the rest.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So what are you buying then?

A road bike 😉 Kidding…

Still genuinely no idea. The Orange features highly still – may see come March time whether Orange have any ex-demo/closeout models on their website as the Five/Alpine/Segment all remain on the list.

The Capra is still there and it’d be great if I grab a go on grum’s to check how it feels. If it feels as good as the spec looks on paper its hard to ignore.

Just browsing Stif’s website too, theres the Bronson C for £2700. Factor in a Reverb and theres change from £3k. Seems like a possible option?

poisonspider
    Free Member

A mate has just bought the Bronson, he rates it having come from a carbon Spesh enduro 26″

It is a bit ‘pink’ though.

woody2000

DBW – the Bronson comes with a Sektor fork at that price though, add in a Pike, the Reverb, maybe a different shock and all of a sudden it’s about £4k

http://www.stif.co.uk//bikebuilder/bronson-c-v2/142/0/size-2,colour-264,shock-63,preset_kit-276_326/

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its got one of those front mech things as well I think :S

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heckler I think is venturing away from long and slack.

That said, I’m sure I read somewhere that angles and stats written down on a website mean sod all and actually riding them is what counts.

poisonspider
    Free Member

That said, I’m sure I read somewhere that angles and stats written down on a website mean sod all and actually riding them is what counts.

Leeeve it!! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Not hugely low or slack (but 66deg is easily slack enough), but still worthy of consideration is the Giant Trance SX.
    Here’s one reduced to £2K with pikes, monarch plus, XO1, guide R’s. Giant dropper and wheels but you could upgrade both and still have change for a riding holiday.
    http://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=32466&gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8Gy0VHwqpSx7FBeyttuOJYDwig8DHl4ayOY968Hgb89RoC_HPw_wcB
    Travel adjust forks, it’s a seriously versatile bike and easy to get a demo on.

woody2000

I don’t think the Bronson is overly long DBW, the reach & stack on the L Bronson is about the same as the M Five. But, like you say, they’re just numbers and who can tell what they really mean without riding them…… 😈

poisonspider
    Free Member

I know someone who can provide a detailed description of exactly how it will ride without troubling yourself with a test ride. All you need is the geometry numbers and the ability to believe anything you hear?

😡 Damn you Woody2000, I was doing so well moving on.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘What new 'enduro' bike?’ is closed to new replies.