• This topic has 333 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 334 total)
  • What new 'enduro' bike?
  • stevede
    Free Member

What are those forks on that Dune? Rockshox with marzocchi uppers!?!! Ardents front and rear on a bike like that is a bit strange too.

yacoby
    Free Member

Meh. I quite like my YT Capra. I am faster on it than my previous El Guapo.

Then again, I have ridden really short DH bikes and had so much fun. Apparently that is wrong because it isn’t stable and long or something.

Radical idea but maybe what you like is subjective?

Poopscoop

Subjectivity on STW?? Not a chance my friend.

Though I totally agree with you for what little its worth.

jam-bo

Have norco changed designers? That’s the first norco I’ve seen in years that hasn’t been beaten with the ugly stick

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mostly why if I’m spending decent money I want to try it first, numbers don’t always translate from paper to trail.

barffy
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

always think it’s a good idea to try before you buy,

rickon
    Free Member

You can get an Enduro 650b Elite for £2500 if you ask around nicely.

Pike, CC Dbline (which you can swap for a Monarch rc3), SRAM 11sp, SRAM Guides, Specialized Internal Dropper, 30mm wide DT swiss wheels. And a very light and amazing looking frame.

Plus, if your LBS does it, you get Local support.

nickc

Commencal are great, but they use press fit BB and internal headsets, which are probably fine in Andorra, but TBH there are better ways of attaching cranks and forks to a bike, especially in the middle of a British winter slop,

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

I’ve had a YT Capra AL1 for a couple of months now and very impressed

Painey
    Free Member

That Enduro Elite looks a great bike for the £££

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The problem is the OP asked for something in the long & slack zone – the Enduro isn’t exactly long, for a given size – it’s distinctly average.

And you have to put up with other annoyances, such as Campy style headsets, proprietory shock mounts, which limit your choices for shocks, PF30 BB’s & their own version of 142 back ends.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thanks all – some good suggestions. Liking the look of the Norco especially.

Thats one thing I really don’t want though – propriety shocks, headsets, bottom brackets or anything. Ideally it’ll just use a ‘normal’ (whatever that is these days – taper or 44mm) headset, normal HT2 style bottom bracket and no weird and wonderful rear hub arrangements or shocks. Thats kinda what keeps taking me back to the Oranges as they’re simple in all respects but I know they’re a great riding bike. Just struggling to see past the expense.

Maybe I should try building one from scratch? Anyone done that and got it cheaper than the off-the-shelf builds? Wonder how much a Five with Pikes, Hope wheels, Reverb and SLX kit would come in at…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thats one thing I really don’t want though – propriety shocks, headsets, bottom brackets or anything. Ideally it’ll just use a ‘normal

Well that rules out specialized.

Northwind

I_did_dab – Member

Have you considered the Ibis mojo HD3?
    It goes up as well as down…

He did ask for long, HD3 is not

chakaping
    Free Member

Ideally it’ll just use a ‘normal’ (whatever that is these days – taper or 44mm) headset, normal HT2 style bottom bracket and no weird and wonderful rear hub arrangements or shocks

I’m totally with you on this, BUT I’ve caved in on press-fit BBs because it just rules too many bikes out and they actually seem to work pretty well nowdays.

kimbers

Yeah my bb92 (xtr) has been no different from any other bb, in terms of longevity

Long, slackish, steep seat angle , short stays to keep it fun is importanr

fathomer

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Maybe I should try building one from scratch? Anyone done that and got it cheaper than the off-the-shelf builds? Wonder how much a Five with Pikes, Hope wheels, Reverb and SLX kit would come in at…

I imagine a good bit less than £4k, oranges aren’t know for being good value stock builds.

Edit: Quickly off the top of my head and don’t think I’ve missed anything (I’ve been looking at a new build recently :D)
    Frame £1600
    forks £500
    wheels £350
    xt group set £300
    brakes £100
    reverb £200
    bars/stem £150
    others £100
    = £3,300

Edit 2: What about a Transition Patrol, I’ve been looking at the Scout!

grum
    Free Member

So YT are no longer niche enough for STW eh? That didn’t take long did it.

chrismcd
    Free Member

I am looking at the new Orange Five. I managed to put together a very good spec for 3.5k on http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/. So not too far over your budget if you are a fan of Orange bikes. The 0% interest option on this website is very appealing as well.

happy bike shopping!

poisonspider
    Free Member

The other half of the fun is chatting about them on internet forums…and for that job, the likes of the YT Capra is useless. Bought by the types of people whose wardrobes probably contain an item of FireTrap or SuperDry clothing, they are the most generic/dull/tasteless bike on the market.

A three and a half grand full suspension super bike with Kashima might impress your nextdoor neighbour’s children, or the lads on the shop floor; but if you want to impress the real cyclists on the internet then you need to broaden your horizons. Boasting about how many miles you’ve done just makes you sound big headed.

This is a joke, right?

As a YT owner that doesn’t describe me at all. Not even remotely.

And what does “real cyclist” mean?

Mentioning how many miles you’ve done may be a bit of mild willy waiving, but suggesting people who own a certain brand of bike aren’t ‘real’ cyclists is absurd.

Do you have to be niche and ‘alternative’ to be a real cyclist? WTF?

Singletrack elitism at its utter worst. Why should people feel the need to impress the likes of you? You’re a faceless nobody on a forum.

chiefgrooveguru

This is a joke, right?

Yes! 🙂

poisonspider
    Free Member

Oh thank God!

Faith in humanity is restored, I’d hoped there weren’t really be such nobends out there!

woody2000

I’ll just leave this here to tempt you again DBW, a Five family reunion 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Very tempted to stick one of those new blue Lyrik Capras on my credit card. I don’t even care if it’s not that amazing, I just think it looks cool. 😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

Unless they’ve changed their payment methods, you can’t stick it on your credit card.

Cash or Paypal (plus the fees) only I’m afraid.

rickon
    Free Member

PayPal credit?

The Enduro is long, just not by today’s mega long standards. It’s got very short chainstay, which impacts on overall length.

Depends on if you really need something that long, do you do many flat out, straight line descents?

grum
    Free Member

You can pay on credit card but there is a fairly hefty fee (I think 80 euros). Paypal fees are quite a bit higher. But then they are on sale at the moment…. 🙂

Works out £2758 all in according to google currency conversion. Bit cheeky that they charge you extra for the bike box.

jimjam
    Free Member

rickon
    The Enduro is long, just not by today’s mega long standards. It’s got very short chainstay, which impacts on overall length.

I had a wee sit on a large 2016 Enduro last week, I think it’s only a 17″ in old money. With a shorter stem I could see myself on one very easily and I’m 5’9. But yes, they are a step behind which is ironic considering Spesh were always the go to option for long tt/short cs bikes.

Depends on if you really need something that long, do you do many flat out, straight line descents?

I think it’s stability in general, not just straight line.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Stop it Jason. That looks ace 😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

Works out £2758 all in according to google currency conversion

I’ve just done the same exercise. I don’t care what anyone says, that is an awful lot of bike for the money (and I don’t mean just the spec!)

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not too lengthy in the body and don’t mind the possibility of some downtime if the frame cracks, it’s a steal of a deal.

grum
    Free Member

Oh shit I’ve only gone and done it. 😯 My missus is going to be well impressed!

Time to start selling some surplus camera equipment. 😀

poisonspider
    Free Member

😆

Good man!

Oh hang on, aren’t you concerned it might crack 😯 ,
    or that the top tube is 0.7mm different to what’s ‘on trend’ at the moment, the handling will be shite!!
    And don’t get me started on the head angle, that 0.25deg will surely damage your Strava times!!
    OMG, and what about the ‘dynamics/kinematics’?? Have you calculated all those 4th order differential equations needed to predict its handling from the static geometry figures??
    You crazy, reckless, ‘not a real cyclist’ loser you!!!!! 🙄

Trimix
    Free Member

mmmm, nice. What size did you get / how tall are you.?

Im about to buy one myself very soon.

jimjam
    Free Member

poisonspider

Oh hang on, aren’t you concerned it might crack ,
    or that the top tube is 0.7mm different to what’s ‘on trend’ at the moment, the handling will be shite!!
    And don’t get me started on the head angle, that 0.25deg will surely damage your Strava times!!
    OMG, and what about the ‘dynamics/kinematics’?? Have you calculated all those 4th order differential equations needed to predict its handling from the static geometry figures??
    You crazy, reckless, ‘not a real cyclist’ loser you!!!!!

Why should he worry about that….LOOK AT THE PARTS ON IT!!!!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

He did ask for long, HD3 is not

Fair enough, I’ve only used a tape measure to measure the sag on the rear shock…

poisonspider
    Free Member

Why should he worry about that….LOOK AT THE PARTS ON IT!!!!

I wasn’t going to mention it again JJ but anyway,

I’m intrigued in what you meant when you said you consider the ‘dynamics/kinematics’ of a bike, based on its geometry.

Can you explain using the YT (or any other bike I guess) as an example?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Smooth moves Grum ,enjoy it.As your getting it going into winter,keep a regular check/dry/clean re-grease that rear e13 hub the sealing on mine was very poor and the internals not very robust,it’s an easy and needed job. The seals are now mean’t to be improved.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘What new 'enduro' bike?’ is closed to new replies.