Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What new brakes – out of touch content
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I used to be fully up on every nut and bolt it was possible to buy but since kids came along 6 years ago I’ve lost touch.
    If I have £200 to spend on a complete disc brake set for general trail riding (no DH or AM stuff), what should I get (I’ve got Hope Mono Minis at present but have no brand allegiance).

Thanks in advance.

MrTall
    Free Member

Cheap 2012 XT’s from Rose Bikes is the stock answer, but the Hope fan boys will be along soon to argue their corner….

relliott6879
    Free Member

Deores, SLXs, XTs, Hope X2s. They’re all good. If you’re on a budget get the Deores as, realistically, they work as well as anything else. If you like Shiny Things, get the X2s.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

XT from Rose on both my bikes now. Very happy with ’em.

relliott6879
    Free Member

In fact, you haven’t actually said there’s anything wrong with your Mono Minis. Are they goosed, or are these new brakes for a new bike? If it’s the former, a good strip, clean and rebuild of your Minis with new pads, hoses and rotors will have them working like brand new. If you don’t fancy tackling that yourself, Hope offer a service where they’ll do it all for you, it’ll probably be cheaper than new brakes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rich, was it you after some top caps for some old Deore brakes?

Gunz
    Free Member

Mister P, not me.
    Elliott – brakes have been bought back to life several times and now just good for the bitsa bike.

Thanks for all the feedback.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Mister PMember

Rich, was it you after some top caps for some old Deore brakes

It was I! Specifically a right hand/front top cap for an M525

Northwind

Formula or XT, and then we can have an argument about Hope.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I was thinking we hadnt had a shimano / hope / formula row for about a week 😉 And nobody’s mentioned spares yet!

/Edit – just realised I havent contributed at all to the Q: shimano slx are superb brakes – zero faff, 2 year warranty, and work incredibly well. I also had and liked Formula Oros- but couldnt get common parts when I had them (eg olives). Never could afford hopes /

mboy
    Free Member

Formula or XT, and then we can have an argument about Hope.

I was thinking we hadnt had a shimano / hope / formula row for about a week And nobody’s mentioned spares yet!

Shhhhhhh! You’ll wake TJ! 😉

Anyway… A pair of Shimano XT from Rosebikes works out just over £130 for the pair less rotors and adapters. Adapters can be had for about £5 an end from various places, and Rotors from as little as £10.

Or there’s also SLX if you wanna save another £20 for what is essentially the same brake, minus some adjustment.

relliott6879
    Free Member

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-deore-disc-brake-br-m596/aid:516076

All you really ‘need’. £79 delivered for the pair, just need to source some rotors.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ebay hopes?

Made of metal not cheese and can be rebuilt

Mister-P
    Free Member

I might have one Rich. Drop me a line

mark.misterp.pearson at gmail.com

Sorry for the thread hijack.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why not return your hopes to hope for a rebuild? £45 an end and as good as new afterwards

relliott6879
    Free Member

TandemJeremyMember

Why not return your hopes to hope for a rebuild? £45 an end and as good as new afterwards

Posts #5 & #7 of this thread…!

relliott6879Member

In fact, you haven’t actually said there’s anything wrong with your Mono Minis. Are they goosed, or are these new brakes for a new bike? If it’s the former, a good strip, clean and rebuild of your Minis with new pads, hoses and rotors will have them working like brand new. If you don’t fancy tackling that yourself, Hope offer a service where they’ll do it all for you, it’ll probably be cheaper than new brakes.

GunzMember

Mister P, not me.
    Elliott – brakes have been bought back to life several times and now just good for the bitsa bike.

Thanks for all the feedback.

mboy
    Free Member

Hang on TJ, can you help me here… My maths is a bit crap…

£45 an end to have some already quite old brakes reconditioned once more, or £65 (or £55 for SLX) an end for brand new all singing all dancing XT’s and he can then either stick the Hopes on his spare bike, or sell them on ebay for probably £60-70 all up…

Nah, I’m struggling… I need some help! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Because I would rather have the rebuilt hopes than anything else – a bonus that its a saving of money as well. I also believe in reduce reuse recycle IE I hate the disposable attitude of some.

so yes – yo do need help if you would rather spend more money for an inferior product and waste resources while doing so. 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

£200 will buy my Saint M810 in the Sale section which are as good as new, boxed with all mounting hardware and 180mm discs

skywalker
    Free Member

Just buy some X2 Evo’s and be done with it 😈

CHB

Shimano, Hope, Magura are all good, I have one set of Hayes and they are not as corrosion resistant as shimano and Hope.
    Never tried Avid.

skywalker
    Free Member

Avid suck balls

munrobiker
    Free Member

Shimano XT from Rose bikes. No questions.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve had both the 2012 Deore and XT brakes and both are great and have plenty of power. The Deore is workman like and the XT has nice shiny bits, but you get what you pay for.

coogan
    Free Member

so yes – yo do need help if you would rather spend more money for an inferior product and waste resources while doing so.

Spend £45 and end to fix and old pair of Hopes Minis?! Or a wee bit more for vastly superior, newer brakes?! Your the one needing help here TJ.

Scapegoat

SLX M666…. all the brake you’ll need.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What new brakes – out of touch content’ is closed to new replies.