Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)
  • What new bike with t’missus money?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Had a long chat with Mr Shand at a Cycle Show a few years ago, nearly bought a Stooshie but wasn’t quite “road” enough for what I was after at the time.

If and when the chance comes, I’d like to give them some of my money for something that looks stunning.

tjagain

Oh that is nice and ticks a lot of boxes including the headmount for a rack

matt_outandabout

@slackboy

Oh my, that’s nice.

If I ever had the money, I still don’t know if I would go back FS (n+1 not withstanding). I think I would buy a nice comfy, light 29er with light fork…

kelvin

This bahookie is very lovely

That is pretty. Geometry looks spot on. Needs more bosses. Hard mounting points are great. Straps aren’t enough.

matt_outandabout

I’ve another bike I would consider, based around the fact that one car park ride on a pinion bike was lovely….

https://www.18bikes.co.uk/18-bikes-custom-pinion-frame.html

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you could ask Mr Shand to fit whatever bosses etc you want.

kelvin

Of course.

tjagain

Just been to Shand but I couldn’t place my order as I cannot decide on all the options

Standard bahookie medium frame – but what paint job? rohloff or 12 spd? shimano or hope brakes? dynamo front hub?

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely dynamo front hub.

I’d be tempted to try Rohloff if I could.

All my bikes have Shimano brakes, so Hope to be different.

Paint – no idea. What would t’missus choose?

molgrips
    Free Member

Standard bahookie medium frame

Medium? Aren’t you my height? My Salsa is large, and I’m glad it is. Nice short stem (70mm!) keeps the handling sharp and I get more room for a frame bag if I need it.

12 speed
    Hope brakes
    No dynamo, unless you want to go touring in the dark. You’re not riding this thing to the pub are you? Are you?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hope brakes Shimano 12 speed don’t ruin a lovely bike with a boat anchor of dragginess and only go Dyno hub if your actually gonna use it at night they are nice on utility bikes but unless your doing alot of night riding on it it’s a fair chunk to carry round along with the bearing liability.

Shand blue is lovely….but then every one gets that it seems.

tjagain

I think I am a bit shorter than you molgrips – 5’10 just about. I rode a medium Tam and it was a great fit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah right.. yeah I am on the cusp so if you are a touch under it might be the right choice.

Dynamo hub can be retro-fitted if you decide it’s warranted later. As can Rohloff.

martymac

In the past, I would always have said dynamo, but modern battery lights are so good I’ve changed my mind.
    I’d go for interchangeable dropouts, that way you can change your mind later about gears.
    There are downsides to rohloff and derailleur gears, only you can really say which you prefer.
    I would always go derailleur, because I’ve never ripped one off.
    I’ve had many shimano brakes, all flawless.
    ‘Shandem’
    Paint it a colour your good lady would like.

tjagain

My good lady was useless with colours. she did like a bit of bright pink tho. Hmmmmmmmmm

All shands have the swappable dropouts so wheel choice can be changed later.

I am leaning towards a rohloff cos I hate dérailleurs and 12 spoeed is hideous with a mech that just about touches the floor and a huge ugly cassettee

Rohloff and belt drive?

scotroutes

Dynamo – I have two for the Amazon now. I love knowing that I can just jump on it and go for a ride without thinking of whether or not I charged a light, where I put it, how long it’ll last. Only really works at road speeds though: not really bright enough for extreme gnarr and requires a decent speed to keep it at full power.

IGH – I’m not a fan but that could be because I’ve very rarely had rear mech problems so the advantages pass me by.

Brakes – my own experience with Shimano is that they’re faultless so I’ve never seen the justification for additional expenditure.

tjagain

With the brakes Its two issues – I prefer hope feel but the main sticking point is the unavailability of spares and the harder to find fluid if world touring. I like to be able to carry a seal kit and use dot fluid

I am tempted to put set of old minis I have on it 🙂

I am looking for a bike for life as it were with everything rebuildable and long lasting and fixable if miles from anywhere

matt_outandabout

In which case, if it were my money, I would go Pinion belt drive, Hope brakes, nice but ‘normal’ wheels….

martymac

In that case, contact hope and get them to make a set of brakes for use with mineral oil.
    Go rohloff, but with chain drive. A chain can be fixed in the wild, and replaced in virtually any lbs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You want fixable round the world yet are looking at belt drive rohloffs and all that nonsense.

Rather you than me.

I agree 12 speed is stupid.

For your remit I’d have 2 or even 3*11

molgrips
    Free Member

I prefer hope feel but the main sticking point is the unavailability of spares and the harder to find fluid if world touring. I like to be able to carry a seal kit and use dot fluid

Have you got that the right way round? Hope offer seal kits and use ubiquitous and cheap DOT fluid, whereas Shimano aren’t fixable and use expensive mineral oil. And have had significant reliability issues.

I wouldn’t go for belt drive as if you do snap a belt you’re screwed. Chains can be fixed with a quick link.

If really do want to world or even European tour then I would (reluctantly) agree 2×11 is the way. You want enough top end to keep spinning down some massive pass, and enough low end to winch your knackered self up the next one laden with kit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You want enough top end to keep spinning down some massive pass, and enough low end to winch your knackered self up the next one laden with kit.

A Rohloff will do that …. But my point was more that the folk IVe met waiting on parts in New Zealand Australia , Canada -and those are civilised countries are always those with propriatory things such as rohloffs and recumbents……

martymac

Trail rat makes a good point, for a world tour you want parts that can be easily replaced.
    Even the best parts in the world can occasionally fail. Imagine a mangled rohloff shifter from a silly low speed fall for example.
    Touring requirements are slightly different to normal road or mtb use.

tjagain

rohloff will send a replacement anywhere if you bust a hub. also with 135 dropouts and a mech hanger a derailleur rear wheel can be got anywhere. Belt or chain is a tricky one. Belt longer lasting and no lube but have to carry a spare. chain fixed anywhere in the world for 2p

rohloff shifter hard to break but if you do so you can change gear with a spanner on the hub and you can always SS a rohlff if the internals mangle ( brake disc spacing is the same as a granny ring so flip the hub and put a granny ring in place of the disc) That gets you back to civilisation

tjagain

my earlier post should have read “sticking point with shimano is the unavailability….”

tjagain

Colour?

I think this will be hated but I am thinking plain dark colour and all polished alloy kit – rims. hubs, bars the lot

dknwhy

Not sure if the link works but this is one of the nicest Shands I’ve seen… Ian B’s off the BB forum:

Shand

https://www.instagram.com/p/16K7uRvE-R/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

ElShalimo

Is that an homage to Alitalia Airlines?

dknwhy

Think it was loosely based on a Lancia Delta Intergrale.

ElShalimo

molgrips
    Free Member

You can at a push pack a spare mech hanger and derailleur. But if you are in a well serviced country you could get a Shimano 11sp mech straight away.

avdave2

Belt longer lasting

When I was using my Rohloff on an all year round off road commuter that I barely ever cleaned the chains were lasting 3 years. Lubrication was some Toyota gearbox oil I had lying around. I certainly wouldn’t worry about chain wear

bedmaker

On gears – in the OP you mention offroad pootling and some touring. This is where the Rohloff shines imo. Yes, if you are shredding the gnar, then it’s not the best choice.
    I rode one for everything a few years back and the slow engagement and weight in the back wheel in techy riding really will grate. I’ve been riding Onyx hubs for a couple of years now and that makes it worse!

I’d have it over 12 speed any day of the week for a long distance bike. I’d agree with TR that 2 or 3X also makes a lot of sense for a bike of this sort. Gives you the range you need for touring, without the endless finnickyness of 12 speed. A front mech is great if the bike doesn’t spend it’s life rattling down singletrack.

kelvin

all polished alloy kit

Polished rims still look great. And cranks. And, well, as much as possible. Do it, if you can find the stuff.

kcal

How about 2 bikes? thus keeping the tandem theme..

How much world touring is sir likely to do – keep a bike for that, and one for fun / UK touring (hmm, 3 bikes then.)

Get a nice pant scheme though, that will make you grin.
    I don’t get a new bike very often – and sizeable m minority of my bikes are second hand. But maybe not think in terms of long long term – 6-9 years and review again once things have moved on again.

molgrips
    Free Member

On gears – in the OP you mention offroad pootling and some touring. This is where the Rohloff shines imo.

I would be concerned about efficiency, personally. If I were tired struggling up some alpine pass at the end of the day I’d want every bit of efficiency I could get, and I’d be resenting the %s that a hub gear would keep to itself. But YMMV of course, you will get there in the end probably.

How much world touring is sir likely to do

I read the OP as he’s not after a tourer, but a general purpose everything bike that would do some touring.

tjagain

I read the OP as he’s not after a tourer, but a general purpose everything bike that would do some touring.

and still be able to have fun on singletrack.

So spec I have decided is. rohloff but have a mech hanger and 135qr spacing. Chain drive 120mm travel fork and rigid both colour matched

single dark colour, all components polished ic rims hubs bars. wide swept bars

Burgundy metalflake?

A little discreet signwriting: Julie – bought with her money

matt_outandabout

Burgundy metalflake

Oh yes.

all components polished ic rims hubs bars

Oh yes yes.

Edit:

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a lovely enamel paint on my Salsa but after a few years by the time I had it fixed for the chain stay breakage it was already corroding a fair bit in places. Not as durable as powder coat?

kelvin

Matt, that definitely losses points for close but not matching fork.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)

The topic ‘What new bike with t’missus money?’ is closed to new replies.