Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What new BB for RF Turbine cranks?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Cranks not spinning that freely after a severe dunking in N Wales recently…free-up after a few turns but could be new BB time (currently a RF on a Whyte T130rs)…are Superstar/Uber any good? Hope prob the go-to one but muchos spendos…

fathomer

You’ll need one for a 30mm axle, another Race Face or Hope. There is a couple of other brands but can’t remember of the top of my head.

vincienup
    Free Member

Praxis make one that is good.

Everyone seems to ignore that the 30mm RF BB is designed to allow you to retain the cups and replace the stock cartridges with standard size cartridges from anyone else.

RicB

Not sure that’s right vincienup; I’ve removed my RF Pf41/30mm BB a few times to regrease it and it’s all one unit. Basically a cartridge with a flange on one side

personally I’d go for the Hope but I’d still pop the seals off the inner side and pack full of grease before fitting. Hope use great bearings but they don’t have a huge amount of grease in. Grease keeps the muck out…

The-Duke

Wheels manufacturing do a 6806 bearing extractor that lets you tap out the bearings from the cups while their still installed in the frame once you’ve removed the cranks. You can replace the raceface bearings with any 6806 bearings but the hope 30mm  stainless ones will fit no problem

souster4
    Free Member

I opted for a Hope pf41 30mm recently with the same crank set up. It’s just 2 enduro bearings really. Hopefully it lasts longer than the RF one which died after 3 months.

Interested in one’s that the cups stay put though and bearings can be swapped. Like the sound of that.

Poopscoop

Yeah, Hope PF41 here too. So far so good.

I love the Turbine cranks but might swap to 24mm Sram at some point as there is far moor choice of aftermarket BB’s.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have 3 turbine cranksets – each running smoothly on the Hope BSA30 bottom bracket.

vincienup
    Free Member

Possibly the threaded and PF units are different then? The bearings certainly can be removed from the threaded unit without resort to picks and the like to flip seals clear. A sensible tap from the rear with the axle will free them and the reinstall without bother.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What new BB for RF Turbine cranks?’ is closed to new replies.