• This topic has 41 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What music do you listen to while riding?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Just replacing my riding playlist as I get bored with the old one within a week!
    I listen to a wide variety of stuff ranging from AC/DC to De la Soul to Skatalites to SBTRKT,

Heading out this afternoon, anyone want to recommened anything NO ABBA, Celine Dion or Death Metal! 😀

MarkyG82

How about some Jurassic 5 and ultramagnetic mc’s? Good beats to flow down singletrack.

_tom_
    Free Member

I tried it for dh’ing and didn’t really like it, felt too detached. For road riding (only one ear in so I can hear traffic) I like relaxed stuff like Boards of Canada.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nowt. Tried it once, wasn’t for me.

wrecker
    Free Member

Glitch mob; More Voltage.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Can’t do it either, I like to hear what’s going on around me

cynic-al
    Free Member

It can be dangerous and inconsiderate, so I don’t.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Chainslap

fathomer

cynic-al – Member
    It can be dangerous and inconsiderate, so I don’t.

I agree with this TBH.

globalti
    Free Member

Listen to music? No ****’ way! On the road I want to hear cars coming up behind me as well as the gasping and moaning sounds from my riding buddy trying to keep on my wheel so that I can judge how hard to ride. Off road I want to know if some muppet is going to ride up behind, demand to be let past then insult me.

avdave2

Nothing,never have done never will. I like listening to what’s going on around me and I quite like no sound at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I listen to the wind in the trees, the terrain and grip beneath my tyres, my friends, the birdsong, etc, etc.

I agree with Al, basically.

Jamie
    Free Member

iPod on shuffle when on the road.

It’s amazing how the cars just sneak up on one.

_tom_
    Free Member

Oh and stuff like this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxT0LR4nRY[/video]

JonEdwards
    Free Member

“Creak” by Easton and Thomson
    “Clickclickclickclick” and “Squeal, Boy” by Hope
    “The Rumble” by Mr Shimano and the Hollowtech BBs
    “Knock, knock, knocking” by Christopher King

And there’s usually a bit of scat singing by yours truly along the lines of “feckityfeckityfeckingSHHHIIIIITTTTEbollocksjeeezusfeckingkerist” etc.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i spend all day listening to music, riding gives me a chance to get away from artificial noises and enjoy the relative peace and silence of crashing through nature on a skills compensator 🙂

went through a stage of listening to music…. the ninjatune podcasts worked beautifully and at about an hour long they were a good way of keeping track of the time. if i listen to music i speed up to the tempo and thats been a big influencing factor in a couple of my crashes i think

Dancake
    Free Member

I’m surrounded by noise. I like to ride to get away from it all – not stick it in my ear.

and anyway you need to be able to hear the monsters.

atlaz
    Free Member

Nothing. Seems a shame to get out into the country and listen to music. May as well be in a car.

mintimperial

Hehe. 🙂

“Grind’n’Skip” by Gritty Drivetrain
    “Bottom Out” by Fox And The Rock Shox
    “Poppin’ (Time To Go Tubeless)” by Nobby Nic
    “Really Annoying Squeaky Click That You’ll Never Manage To Track Down” by Unknown Artist

Interspersed with interludes of “Swearing At Motorists (Acapella)” by Me.

I do listen to music on the rare occasions when I use the turbo, usually the most rabid drum’n’bass I can find to make me pedal faster. But never outdoors, mostly cos I don’t want to trash my iPod.

senorj

I went riding with music this week for the first time in ages.
    It was great pretending to be in a rad vid.
    I like the quiet too tho’.
    Daft punk – live album , Soulwax- nite versions & sabres of paradise
    were on the play list.
    Bit of johnny Cash too – for climbing whilst knakd. 😀

Taff
    Free Member

I have a shuffle mix of my fav songs although some come at the wrong time ie a steady track starts on a dh section!

Sounds pretty similar: ACDC, Prodigy, Muse, Goldfrapp, Linkin Park, Goldfrapp, Ben Howard, Iron Maiden, Pendulum, TCV, SOAD, Aqua.

muckytee
    Free Member

haha – genius 🙂

I listen to my singlespeed playlist, but there never seems to be anything on 😛

njee20
    Free Member

iPod on shuffle when on the road.

+1, have a bit of everything on mine!

Don’t listen to owt when on the MTB though.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Inconsiderate?!
    OK So I’m riding on my own on singletrack that is (during the week) almost empty, I have it loud enough to hear the music but not so loud that I’m not aware of the world around me!

I wouldn’t ever listen to music on the road, you’d have to be pretty crazy to do that!

I would also agree with not listening to anything but the sound of the wind through the trees and plus there are some areas that I know Monsters are lurking waiting to pounce on me! Dancake :wink:,

Music is a great motivator but I use my common sense!

bigad40
    Free Member

Tried it with Rage against the machine, got a bit carried away and almost bonked! Had to put on some counting crows to get home….
    Can’t do it now though, sound of the wind is all part of the experience.

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ever listen to music on the road, you’d have to be pretty crazy to do that!

Oh god, not this again!

Why? I can hear cars, I can’t actually tell the difference between the sound of a car which is going to pass me safely and one which will mow me down. Nor do I tend to blissfully cycle down the middle of the road thinking there are no cars behind 🙄

Ought we to just get out of the way every time a car approaches, lest I impede their progress for a second!?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You simply can’t hear as well when you’ve got music on.

FACT.

tacopowell
    Free Member

WOW!!! Conflicting Arguments!

Sorry to ask! 😳

Taff
    Free Member

You simply can’t hear as well when you’ve got music on.

FACT.
    HA! I can’t hear shit when I’m cycling as I’m moving and there’s wind rushing past my ears!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Old School LTJ Bukem…

Nowt like a bit of DnB to help you along…

fasthaggis

On the road ,I catch up on pod casts and any new stuff that I want to listen to.

Got a lot of tunes from here

Oh god, not this again!

neej
    STW is like News24 ,wait long enough, and your fav thread will come along again 😀

Just you ,me and a few others have the multi tasking skills needed ,to ride while listening to music 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I listen to the wind in the trees, the terrain and grip beneath my tyres, my friends, the birdsong, etc, etc.

This. Cant understand why you’d want to ride off road and listen to music. If you need music to relax or stimulate you whilst riding your’e doing it wrong.

xiphon
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    Old School LTJ Bukem…

Nowt like a bit of DnB to help you along…

This.

On a side note, check out http://www.hardscore.com/ – superb mixes, from ’89 to ’97…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I don’t ride with music on in the main. The only time I do is in deep mid winter in the SDowns on the road when training, I need the motivation when it’s -2C, soooo I listen to Deephouse, here’s an example. But normally I just like listening to the whir of my wheels, the pant of my breathing, the click of my gears, the birds..

Dingle Yandel on Soundcloud – Deephouse

This. Cant understand why you’d want to ride off road and listen to music. If you need music to relax or stimulate you whilst riding your’e doing it wrong.

Why? Who is anyone tell me anyone else they are doing things wrong if they listen to music off road?

+1 for boards of Canada and ninja tunes

jappy
    Free Member

No cars go ___ Arcade fire 😕

singlespeedstu

OP.
    Are you that tool that was bimbling along the other day with a huge queue behind you that you couldn’t hear politely asking to get past?
    😉

ontor
    Free Member

DFA radiomixes

tacopowell
    Free Member

No cars go ___ Arcade fire

Tune, Always reminds me of Fatboy Slim at Glastonbury ’10
    Already on playlist!

I did however go out without music and enjoyed the peace and quite! Apart from the screaming brummie kids at the running around Nant yr Arian centre….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What music do you listen to while riding?’ is closed to new replies.