Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what 26" touring tyres?
  • stoat

Sorry its a tyre thread..

Planning a bit of a tour round scotland mostly/all road, 26″ wheels.
    Does any kind soul have any suggestions as to what tyres? was thinking Schwalbe Marathons but they seem weighty (if puncture resistant)?

Thanks

*hides and awaits fall out of a “what tyre” thread*

poolman
    Free Member

yes I got the marathon pluses & they are over 1kg each. However, they are bombproof & true fit & forget stuff so the weight premium is worth it for touring or road work.

I got them off here as wasn’t sure I needed them, I have ridden over glass deliberately & they work. Last summer I was puncturing every week with the sharp rock here & nothing since so deffo, go for it.

Baldysquirt

Standard Schwalbe Marathons, Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 1.5″, vittoria randonneur 1.5″ or maybe some Panaracer paselas. All good; I’d definitely go for decent puncture protection over out and out weight saving.

stoat

Cheers,
    Marathons I think it will be!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon plus. Been riding mine for ages, never had a puncture. Heavy though.

Pieface

Conti Travel contacts were better than the Marathon’s IME (lighter, grippier), although I only used them for 1 year without punctures as opposed to 3

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathons FTW

On the transam, I went through a Randoneur in about 1200 miles. A Specialized Armadillo in about 1800 miles. The Marathon after 1300 was virtually unworn.

My eventual riding buddy rode 4300 miles, fully laden across the states, on the same Marathons without rotating them with tread to spare.

slparsons
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Extremes are up to a bit of off roading and a much more reasonable weight.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the contis are great. travel contacts is any offroad, city contacts if not

bigbloke
    Free Member

When i did the L2B run i popped some iirc Schwalbe City Jet, they seemed ok didnt have any punctures etc on training runs.

PaulD
    Free Member

stoat,

I offer you a pair of brand new Conti Travel Contacts 26 x 1.75″ wire bead for £20 PPG for UK posted or £15 cash collected from Wokingham.

Mail me if interested.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

nikk
    Free Member

I’m contemplating using some Schwalbe Super Motos 2.4″ for longer bikepacking trips that are more road / track / singletrack. Just have to watch out for muddy bits I think.

Spin
    Free Member

How strange, my earlier post disappeared…

I did a months tour in Newfoundland on Panaracer Paselas including a fair amount of unsurfaced road. No punctures and they rolled well on road although I did have them at 80 psi instead of the max 65 they recommend. Easy to get on and off too which I hear can be a prob with Marathons.

TiRed

Marathon Plus. Have them on the tandem, have never had to remove them! Have Paselas on the other tandem (I know), but prefer the Marathons. Would probably go 28c rather than the 35’s on the tandem.

Had the same success with their Durano Plus 700x23c for my commuter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what 26" touring tyres?’ is closed to new replies.