Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What MTB events for a 12 year old ?
  • I’ve recently acquired a 12 year old step daughter.
    She swims competitively and cycles while her mum runs cross country, so I’m sure she would have no problem doing a lap of Mountain Mayhem, say, as part of a team.

I’m not going to suddenly turn in to one of those pushy parents who tries to make up for their own failings by putting their kids under pressure to take part in some sport, but *if* she wants to race, what events are there ?

I believe there are junior CX races. I’m thinking about having a go at CX on an MTB myself, so that may be one option.

What about the endurance events that I do though, Wiggle 6, SITS, MM etc. ?
    I can’t remember seeing little kids racing and I know I could look on all the event websites to see if they do, but can someone with experience give me a quick guide as to which events allow under 16s ?

Harry_the_Spider

I think there is a minimum age limit at SITS, MM etc. Nowt to stop her doing a practice lap before the race starts though.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

BBB.

br
    Free Member

Gorrick?

http://www.gorrick.com/calendar_page.php

Also they’ll let an adult ride behind/alongside (if required).

I thought there would be a minimum age limit. Practice lap sounds a good idea though, it would give her a feel for the events.

BBB is a long way from Worcestershire, but could make a good family weekend away if we’re going to be doing that type of thing now.

Gorrick’ a long way too, which is a shame, as I’d like to do their events myself, but I can’t motivate myself to drive 260 miles round trip for a day’s racing.

We have what’s called Generation Pairs in Trailquesting, one adult and one child. She could do the map reading to save her mum swapping glasses every time she wants to check the map. 😀
    I was looking for a simple ‘Start here, then follow the course to the finish’ event for a beginner though.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m not going to suddenly turn in to one of those pushy parents

I think you just have by virtue of this post!

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ve recently acquired a 12 year old step daughter.

eBay? Gumtree?

Harry_the_Spider

Congratulations on acquiring one that is nearly fully grown by the way. We got ours when they were still eggs and when they are small they do tend to crap everywhere.

Also, does this mean that you have wooed a lady into marrying you by building your own house? Good work fella. 😉

TooTall, I was thinking of the Schoolboy Motocross stories I’ve heard, where the dad has spent £5000 on a bike and is determined his son is going to win, whether the boy like it or not.
    At the moment, she swims regularly. The only coercion from her mum is that if she doesn’t make a serious attempt to get to as many training sessions as possible, she will cancel the club membership.
    This sounds reasonable to me. If mum’s paying £50 a month for proper lessons and training, then daughter ought to make an effort.
    If she just wants to swim, then £2 a time for a regular pool session would be a better deal.

Harry; Not married, not even living together.
    We live on opposite sides of the river, about a mile apart in a straight line, or 5 miles via the nearest bridge.
    It’s the perfect arrangement, either one of us can easily divert our commute, or run or cycle to the other’s house.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

you need a canoe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The no fuss events in Scotland do not have a minimum age limit IIRC – ten under series and so on

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There was a 10 year old taking part in the Welsh Ride Thing last year. He did really well even though the conditions weren’t helping.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

BBB is a long way from Worcestershire, but could make a good family weekend away if we’re going to be doing that type of thing now.

I’m the other side of brum and couple the BBB with a few days on the south coast and jobs a good’n.

IHN

HONC – see loads of children doing it (though sold out now, folks will be selling entries I’m sure)

What about Trailquest? 🙂 [edit] note to self, read OP properly, sorry

lazybike
    Free Member

Mud sweat and gears have grommet races, they do a skills session in the morning and a 20min race at lunchtime, based in Essex though, eastern cyclocross league has u12/u14 races most of them ride mtb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What MTB events for a 12 year old ?’ is closed to new replies.