Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What motorbike? Next step.
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Tis a strange world we live in where 600s with 140mph potential are thought of as ‘small’ and a good introduction to riding? Even the smallest and lightest of those are going to be twice the weight of the OP’s current mount.

Personally I’ve done the big bike thing and for the last three years have owned a CBR250R. It’s comfy, cheap to run, keeps up with traffic and is light enough that it’s handling isn’t too far removed from riding bicycles. The OP should find plenty of them available in Thailand.

metalheart
    Free Member

I would make sure that a bike bought to ride in Thailand was a ‘transition’ bike.

There’s no sense in getting the likes of a Street Triple out there (for here after riding a smaller bike I’d go along with you though).

In your position I’d get a Honda CB500X. They’re fast enough, reasonably economical, reliable and they look fun (to me). Think they’re even made there… A great run around. Set you up for (possibly) bigger bike when back here.

And Rachel, only buying a bike with your heart is bollocks. If I’d followed your advice I’d have a Guzzi California Custom 1400, a truly wonderful and gorgeous looking bike. Completely impractical, too expensive and would have required a new storage shed (adding ~£1.2k to the price!). Don’t fall for the advertising myths.

alric
    Free Member

I know many people with fast bikes in thailand,but I cant remember when I needed more power/top speed than the cb500.Its not really a good idea to learn on an R1, given the road and traffic conditions.
    The 500 will be great fun in the twisties, and a lot more comfortable in traffic

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Still composing a shortlist and reading with interest so thanks for all posts.

I’m leaning toward 250s (and that 390 is lovely) as opposed to a 600cc bike which do seem faintly ridiculous to me.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

turn engine off and use the clutch as an “inverse brake lever”

Blimey … I have much to learn.

Stoner
    Free Member

turn engine off

doesn’t that disable the power steering?

allthegear
    Free Member

To be fair, if it wasn’t an expensive bike and didn’t have road tyres on, I would have just ridden down, Dorset_Knob. Was just one awful section…

jonm81

In your position I’d get a Honda CB500X. They’re fast enough, reasonably economical, reliable and they look fun (to me). Think they’re even made there… A great run around. Set you up for (possibly) bigger bike when back here.

I did the DAS in December last year then got a CB500X. They are good fun and I don’t feel inadequate compared to those with big bikes (despite many saying I should when sat at the traffic lights). They are light, quickish and economical and at £5k new damn cheap. It’s a bit out its depth on long motorway journeys but really good around town and on the back roads.

Northwind

The 390 is really nifty but a lot of this seems a long way from where you came in. What do you really want to do on it?

smokey_jo

If you’re looking for something with cruiser styling then virago 535’s are available around £1500 and you’ll probably get your money back after 12 months as they are becoming popular on the custom scene.

retrorick

Chin up helmets are great option. They have the benefits of full face for weather protection and safety and they are easy to put on. I rate my Carberg Duke helmet (which replaced my 16yr old Carberg J1 :-))

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What motorbike? Next step.’ is closed to new replies.