Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • What money no object, totally waterproof jacket (that isn’t ShakeDry)
  • DanW
    Free Member

I know, I know… another jacket thread- sorry!

I want to get more riding in over the Winter so want to gather some proper kit to not make it too miserable (relatively speaking!)

I have bought and returned a ton of jackets from all sorts of brands and none seem to have a good fit or have weird quirks I can not live with (eg an Outdry jacket with a massive hole all the way across the back presumably for ventilation but which flaps open letting water in)…

… so what money no object, totally waterproof jacket would you recommend?

I say no ShakeDry as I can not bring myself to use a black or black with tiny amounts of yellow jacket in Winter. That is an absolute deal breaker. Visibility is a must.

I’ve mainly been looking at jackets made from Gore-Tex Pro, Active and PacLite since they should stay waterproof over time with less care than other materials. I am open to other materials but want it to stay waterproof in hours of torrential rain and stay that way for as along as possible.

Packing size isn’t important as I’ll keep it on.

Warmth isn’t so important as I’ll use the other layers for that. The totally waterproof bit is the important one and I just want a really good outer barrier to the wet.

Hood isn’t important and if there is one it would be good to be able to store it away.

Pockets etc aren’t important as I’ll carry everything in the tops underneath.

Doesn’t need to be cycling specific but a slim, non parachute cut would be good.

Seems simple but I’m struggling!

Watty

It is simple. Shakedry with bits of yellow . . . plus a light coloured lid, light coloured gloves & overshoes and some day riding lights. 😉

mariner
    Free Member

Showers Pass?

integra

Showers Pass, can highly recommend it after being out in Saturday’s rain all day. Come with a detachable hood and in bright colours, plus STW members get a discount.

DanW
    Free Member

Shakedry with bits of yellow

To be honest that was the best I had come up with. I’m still not totally comfortable with a totally black body but I have already hunted out neon gloves and overshoes (sorry fashion police). I have Bontrager day running lights but wondered about helmet lights as well for when the giant MTB one isn’t on there.

dumbbot
    Free Member

https://7mesh.com/mens-revelation-jacket

Money no object, removable hood.

lawman91

For road or MTB? Either way, you won’t go wrong with 7Mesh, I have an older Guardian jacket and it’s next level! Fit is superb (they do size up a little big so may need to size down).

Rebelion for Road – https://7mesh.com/rebellion-jacket-hi-vis

Copilot for MTB – https://7mesh.com/copilot-jacket

Job done! Ohh, and get a pair of the Thunderpants they do if you want to really ride through winter, they have totally changed the game for me and I’d buy another pair in a heartbeat, but I don’t need to as 7Mesh gear lasts forever!

https://7mesh.com/thunder-pant

dumbbot
    Free Member

oops..thats a black one…

DanW
    Free Member

Showers Pass?

Unless I’m mistaken all of their jackets rely on a coating and I can’t be doing with reproofing jackets. That is where I am currently at with my current jacket and want minimal maintenance/ less faff.

Houns

Shakedry and a hi-viz gilet

DanW
    Free Member

you won’t go wrong with 7Mesh

That is exactly the type of thing I had missed, thanks!

Shakedry and a hi-viz gilet

That was another idea I had but I worried that anything on top will eventually damage the more fragile material. I am not too worried about ShakeDry offroad as I’ve seen it can be repaired but I was worried about something on top of it, if a bit of mud got in between the jacket and more visible thing on top or a gilet seam started rubbing it could be a quick end to an expensive jacket

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not sure about Shakedry, road yes, but with a pack on, no.

I believe Mountain equipment have ditched it for that reason.

richardthird

NOT the Outdry Extreme Lightweight with the hole in the back

The Outdry Extreme Reign with pit zips instead. That.

ahsat

I purchased a Gore C5 trail earlier in the summer. Absolute soaking in it last weekend on the gravel bike and stayed super dry – only one in our group who did! I have the womans fit, but it isn’t a parachute. Hood doesn’t pack away; but as its an under helmet hood it is small so doesn’t feel an issue. Pack size did matter to me, hence getting this one (and feeling shake dry was too fragile for anything other than solely road) as wanted it for bikepacking etc.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

If you can find one Rapha did a EF education team replica jacket using shake dry.
    https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/09/exclusive-rapha-pro-team-gore-tex-jackets-game-changing-shakedry-color-visibility/
    Unfortunately they sold out pretty quick due to the colour

DanW
    Free Member

NOT the Outdry Extreme Lightweight with the hole in the back

The Outdry Extreme Reign with pit zips instead. That.

Yeah the light one is pretty daft! The other one is on my list but all darker colours…

Gore C5 trail

Another good suggestion to try

Rapha did a EF education team replica jacket using shake dry.

I think it lost colour very quickly and was a bit of a disaster but I wouldn’t mind if someone can sort the ShakeDry lack of colour thing 🙂

ahsat

PSA – just spotted Wiggle have the Gore C5 trail for £131 (in men’s at least!) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-c5-gore-tex-trail-hooded-jacket

I paid £220 and don’t regret it. That’s a very good price!

luv2ride
    Free Member

Re the helmet light option if a predominantly black jacket If you’re after a “be seen” thing, this probably fits the bill. Well reviewed and cheap at Halfords. I picked one up and am impressed:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/brightside-bike-lights—amber-side-lights-233491.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Cycling%3EBike+Accessories%3EBike+Lights-_-Cycling%3EBike+Accessories%3EBike+Lights-_-233491&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=xiqrwprqp&istBid=tzwt&_$ja=tsid:|cid:14413579880|agid:130044448041|tid:pla-331467724958|crid:541723120063|nw:u|rnd:953817561372961447|dvc:t|adp:|mt:|loc:9045605&gclid=CjwKCAjw2P-KBhByEiwADBYWCrK1jwkr_SEXj0iLTqHm38–nzQylWRGaKWAgNUDGxZS_UkK9bBx5RoCUIQQAvD_BwE

I’ve got a shakedry with hi viz bits and it’s ace…

ton

outdry reign for the win. a proper waterproof you can wear a long time in the rain.

murdooverthehill

Castelli Gavia?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Rapha Hardcore/hardshell (can’t remember which)… jacket here.

Tougher than a shakedry, and heavier, but good waterproofing and well made. I’m pretty sure they don’t make them anymore but there may be an equivalent in the current catalogue. They do sortof hi-viz too – chartreuse?

alwillis

Two slightly different variations of the Rapha hardshell in our house. Hers is a heavier (and warmer) material but both have lasted well and stayed waterproof for hours of rain.

The other one if it is still made is the Assos Sturmprinz or however it’s spelt. Used to come in black or lumi orange, and be the go to for the pros over whatever their sponsor provided for racing 6 hours in the Dolomites etc.

prettygreenparrot

Thunder pants at £280! Really?

boblo
    Free Member

Sportful Fiandre Pro

I’ve had one for a few years now. Like a Gabba but properly waterproof.

espressoal
    Free Member

Money no object – arcteryx.

andrewreay

Money no object – arcteryx

Funnily enough…

Have just been looking at these. They are, frankly, silly money (£4-500).

But the current stuff is / are all ski jackets, at least as far as I can see.

So if they have pit zips they also have a permanent snow skirt and really high collar and permanent structured hood, so not ideal for biking. Same with Helly Hansen.

Have just seen a fellow wearing what I think is the perfect jacket, from Leatt. Will see if I can find it online and post.

andrewreay

Leatt MTB jacket – US

This version isn’t black…

But seemingly US / Can only.

Leatt sand MTB jacket

DanW
    Free Member

Funnily enough…

Have just been looking at these. They are, frankly, silly money (£4-500).

But the current stuff is / are all ski jackets, at least as far as I can see.

So if they have pit zips they also have a permanent snow skirt and really high collar and permanent structured hood, so not ideal for biking. Same with Helly Hansen.

Likewise and similar thoughts!

DanW
    Free Member

Rapha

Unless there is a gem I have missed I don’t think they do a guaranteed waterproof jacket aside from the ShakeDry ones. There is a Gore Tex Active jacket but it has a silly half zip, silly big chest pocket and flappy fit. The other are water “resistant” and if I am spending that money I want to go the full hog and be as dry as possible

DanW
    Free Member

Castelli Gavia

What Gore-Tex material is it made from? The blurb says mid weight three layer which sounds like it should be Active/ Paclite type thing and properly waterproof but I can’t find much about it online and it seems to be discontinued.

outdry reign for the win.

I am not a fan of dark grey but if it is anything like the light weight one I tried with the silly massive hole in the back then I am sure cars give you a wide berth as they are afraid you have are visiting from another planet 😀 The look is a bit “specific”, but in fairness I’d rather just be dry 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Norrona Trollveggan gore tex pro LITE.

No skirt, pit zips. Hood may be an issue. They also do a bike specific range. Quality very high.

Biketreks have a couple of models on sale. Not the trollveggen though

kirky72
    Free Member

Castelli idro pro. made from exactly the same gore tex material as the shake dry, but with a splash of coloured detailing.

I have the shake dry and even in a large for my 38” chest it’s very well fitted but I feel it’s a tad to short and I’m only 5ft 10. The castelli version looks a bit longer and also a touch more stylish.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Idro-2-Jacket/HYE6?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=837731&ds_eid=700000001845766&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=UK_EN_Profit_Google_Shopping_All+Users_Brand+Generic_All+Products_Desktop&ds_cid=71700000050001829&ds_ag=A_A_837726_Castelli_Idro+2+Jacket_Jacket+Rain_260+GBP&ds_agid=58700004907938085&ds_k=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_kid=92700042451870705&ds_kids=p42451870705&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImZ-vgN278wIVyMLVCh0T2QeBEAQYBSABEgIEn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

schmiken

Assos Schlosshund. So so good.

ski78

7Mesh for me, started by some guys from Arcteryx that went out on their own to make bike stuff. I’ve not taken the plunge into their waterproof jackets yet, but I will once they are back in stock.

Very impressed with the Revo & slab shorts, and their tops. Same quality and design ethos as Arcteryx but applied to bike stuff.
    It’s not cheap, but I’ve yet to feel short changed with any of it.

wbo
    Free Member

Norrona fjora. They previously made the jacket in Goretex too, so you ight find one somewhere.

Re. Arcteryx, if you’re only seeing stuff with snow skirts you’re looking at the wrong stuff, but they don’t make bike specific stuff- the closest you’d get is a Norvan jacket I guess,

postierich
    Free Member

Outdry for me makes me look like a spaceman but its not let me down yet!

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/mens-outdry-ex-reign-jacket-1849092.html?dwvar_1849092_color=030

eddd
    Free Member

I think Rab Kinetic is the best on the market to be honest. Feels like a softshell, light, very breathable, but fully waterproof for a few hours.

andrewreay

the closest you’d get is a Norvan jacket I guess,

Yeah. I had seen that. It’s pretty lightweight (maybe too much so) and no pit zips. To be fair, not sure that is what the OP was asking for, but those under arm vents are something I find really useful.

Have just completely ruined a Rab Downpour following a bit of an off. I really liked it, but have decided I need something with a bit more resilience having seen how easily the Pertex gave in to the rock slab 😁

benp1

Don’t forget the option of a hi vis vest over the top of a waterproof if you want the visibility.

It would be nice if more tops had reflective stuff on it, or the option of it at least. Once you get into higher end stuff it falls away, tends to be at the lower or commuter end of the spectrum

Rapha brevet gilet is a good example of something bright and light.

Ps – outdry here too. Had it for a few years now and has lasted well, including a couple of low speed crashes

DickBarton

Well my 10 year (+) old Endura mt500 is definitely no longer waterproof. So needing to find a replacement that is properly waterproof (not keen on anything that needs coated as the recoating hasn’t worked at all on the current jacket) and can stand getting manky with a backpack or hippack on.
    The idea of dirt/mud/grit and a pack wearing things away doesn’t appeal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘What money no object, totally waterproof jacket (that isn’t ShakeDry)’ is closed to new replies.