Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What mobile?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been fairly happy with my HTC Desire S for a couple of years but it’s now getting slow and hanging quite a lot – it looks like it’s just getting old and struggling to run the latest apps.

So, what to replace it with?

I do like HTCs though the replacement doesn’t have to be HTC.

It’s got to be android

A decent camera would be very good, particularly one that takes multiple pics quickly (so you can choose the best one – very useful with kids!)

32Mb or micro SD compatibility

Robust – I’m sure I’ll drop it from time to time…

I like the HTC One XL (or X or X+) but they’re bigger than I’d really like (and same for the S3 which is big too) but most of the smaller screened phones seem to be more basic (in terms of spec) which I reckon means that they’ll last less time (until they also start to struggle/get slow).

So, any suggestions for alternatives?

Houns

S4 announced on the 14th. Though will have big screen

clubber
    Free Member

It’ll probably be tablet sized! 🙂

Cougar

Nexus 4 seems to be the weapon du jour at the moment. Though they’re harder to find than the A Team.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I can’t get hold of one of those and aren’t they as big as the S3/XL anyway?

clubber
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The s3 and one x etc feel big for a day or so then normal. Missus just went from a wildlife to a one x and isnt looking back. Failing that s3 mini maybe.

clubber
    Free Member

the s3 et al barely fit in my back pocket! I’m sure I’d cope but I think something just a bit bigger than my desire s would be perfect.

the s3 mini seems fairly low spec compared to the s3.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep most companies are putting the best specs behind a big screen for the return. A way to get the best out of it really. Never tried to put a phone in my back pocket though mostly so I don’t sit on it.

andyl
    Free Member

I fancy a Sony Xperia Z

giantx4
    Free Member

Just got iphone4s v nice!

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I like the look of the experia Z though I read that the Sony version of Android doesn’t have things like the pull down notification bar?

Not interested in an iphone thanks. Had one, didn’t get on with the ‘my way or the highway’ approach (even though the ‘my way’ way was usually pretty good). Besides, I don’t want this to be yet another tedious Apple Vs Android thread ta 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If the only problem you have with your phone is that it has become slow and laggy, have you condiered performing a factory reset on it or an app cull?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve done that recently and it didn’t help – It’s just struggling to run the latest version of the apps I use, how I use them. Recent phones have the hardware to manage it, mine doesn’t.

crankbreaker

I’ve got a Sony Xperia Go which is pretty good, not too big so doesn’t take over you pocket and it’s waterproof. No, really, it is, my current party trick is dropping it into pints to prove it! Oh, and the pull down notification bar is there on it too.

Mackem

I’ve got a Note II – when I first got it thought it was far too big. Now, i’m used to it I love it. Camera is pretty good too.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like my Xperia Go only issue I have is the battery life and teh battery is built in so you cant change it when its dead…

IHN

I read that the Sony version of Android doesn’t have things like the pull down notification bar?

Mine does (Xperia Mini Pro)

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

HTC one S? Slightly smaller than the one x and dual core as opposed to quad. But I love it. Really quick and no slow down with apps. Takes fantastic pictures for a phone. Quite good battery life and excellent sound quality for music.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Nexus 4 in stock in UK delivery within 3-5 working days. Sizewise s3 > nexus4 > s2

Galaxy s4 looking likely to be bigger than the s3 with a 14mp camera.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

+1 for HTC One S
    If you want a phone that fits in a pocket and has a better battery life than the HTC One X

clubber
    Free Member

The One S is only 5mm shorter and 5mm narrower than the One X which isn’t significant enough to be worth going for it I reckon. It’s still bigger than say an S2 whereas say the S3 mini is the same size as the Desire S apart from 5mm longer which would be fine.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

s3 mini is not a mini s3.

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed it’s not 🙂

duffmiver
    Free Member

motorola razr i.

smallish compared to most new phones.

has a mode where you can take loads of photos at once.

lasts 2 days with normal/heavy use, 3 days of light use.

seems fairly tough so far, no scratches in screen, and it has a kevlar back.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Really like my HTC 8x Windows phone but sadly its bluetooth won’t connect to my car hands free kit, just like loads or other car drivers, beemers, fords, audis, mercs and so on but seemingly mainly beemers.

Arranged to change it for an Iphone that will work with my car, just as the mods here suggested to me when I was looking, Mods are always right.

clubber
    Free Member

Ooh! Interesting – I’ve never really liked Motorolas and that one does look a bit odd but now they’re running android I’d certainly consider one. The reviews sound pretty positive too. Any negatives? The reviews suggest that some apps don’t work with it (because of the intel chip) – is that something you’ve found at all?

Also, how’s the camera? I’m not expecting an SLR but I use my phone for most pics now so don’t want anything rubbish.

duffmiver
    Free Member

i never used to like motorolas but this one runs pretty much stock android, 4.1.2.

no negatives for me so far, i haven’t found any apps that don’t work with it, but i don’t use a wide variety, mainly just use it as a phone and for browsing, facebook, music and a couple of games. i share its internet connection with the tablet for anything else really.

as for the camera, the photos seem pretty good, but i’m no expert, you’ll be able to glean more info from reviews. it does have a dedicated camera shutter button which you can press and it instantly switches to camera mode.

duffmiver
    Free Member

motorola is owned by google now, so i imagine any problem with the intel chip will be corrected pretty quick.

clubber
    Free Member

Razr i now ordered.

Thanks everyone! STW does it again!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Had a Razri for a couple of months now and just got the Jellybean upgrade. Great phone, ideal size, very fast, good camera.

The only thing that has not worked for me is iPlayer but I can get TV using mPlayer and still get 4OD. Sky Go has stopped working with the Jellybean upgrade but there is a fix on the way.

There is also a fix to get iPlayer to work here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1967080

Regards

ohnohesback
    Free Member

One that makes and recieves calls and SMS?

clubber
    Free Member

Tsk, just trying too hard now Mr Troll 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What mobile?’ is closed to new replies.