Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What mobile phone?
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Dropped my phone last night and apart from some dubious methods I,ve still to try, it looks dead. Now I have used the forum search and a google search even though I’m sure there was a recent thread, so apologies if this has been done recently.

I’m going to purchase something new as when my contract runs out I’m going SIM only. The phone I had was a pixel2 which was fine until I dropped it, not something I normally do but it did always look bit poorly and plasticky(I did have a substantial case for it). Anyway preferably android but not set and budget is say up to £400, big screen would be nice as I often will use it for photo editing and navigation.

scruff9252

Standard answer would be whatever the new Motorola G series phone – used them for years and been hard to beat. My new personal phone is a galaxy 9 – its fine an all, but not worth the premium in my opinion although I got it effectively “free” from 3.

Alternatively my new work phone is a nokia 8.1 & I’m quite impressed with it.

Cougar

Something from here:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/one/

Further reading (although with a US slant):

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-one-phones

misteralz
    Free Member

I’ve recently got a Samsung S10E and I am really impressed with it. It’s costing me ~500€ over my two year contract, which I guess would put it towards the top end of your budget?

orena45

Google Pixel 3a – pure Android, great camera, in budget.

stevextc
    Free Member

I got an old Nexxus that broke.. I was amazed how much it was to replace from eBay.

I’m not in love with my iPhone 6 but paid £30 to get a new battery simply because it does everything I need good enough. (And cos the quadlock case fits) and because it has a headphone jack…

My mate has a cheap (something like £100) android one that does everything he needs EXCEPT take decent (enough) photo’s …

I’d just say set what’s important to YOU (photo, screen size, 5G?, OS?) then just do it based on cost?

Spend the remainder on bike stuff… makes me much happier anyway.

Kryton57

The new Moto One range looks good, various models.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My last 5 phones have been odd numbered versions of the Moto G series. Only the original Moto G died eventually (that was down to my OHs inanate phone killing ability). All the others are still going, the G3 was recently retired to family spare phone.
    Im currently using a G7 which is great. It works, does what I want it to do. Looks ok and thats about it. For £190 on amazon its a bargain IMO.
    If I had a choice I’d have gone for the G7Plus which has a marginally better chipset and a better camera.
    I guess it ultimately depends on whether you want a nice looking phone shaped trinket or just a reliable smartphone.

Pieface

I had a Moto G 4(?) and was unimpressed with the camera (the shutter button had a huge delay so all pictures were blurred), and the resolution was a bit low spec (coming from an iPhone 5c). Had an S7 for 2 years which has been fine, upgraded recently to an S10e, whilst its very good, its not amazingly better than the S7, bigger screen in the same size handset and some extra bits, but I suppose thats the state of things nowadays. If you could get your hands on a brand new S7 or S8 I’d go for one of them.

failedengineer

Another vote for Moto G7 -I’ve got a plus and it seems to be every bit as good as my colleagues’ i phones, for about a quarter of the price.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for the Moto range here. Officially approved work phone purchase was a £800 iPhone, no headphone jack (wanted to be able to easily use different headphones without a clumsy adaptor), average battery life.

Spent £150 or so on a Moto and it’s been brilliant, just excellent value for money.

kayak23

Coming at you on a pixel 3a.

It really is fantastic. I mainly like it for the camera which is phenomenal for a phone.

Jamze

Still rate my OnePlus 6. Hasn’t missed a beat, fast, not tempted to change it yet. Amazon still have the 6/6T for around £500. Gets quick OS updates too, Android 10 due this month. Or if camera is top priority, Pixel 3a.

damascus
    Free Member

I recently got a Samsung a50. £50 cash back from Samsung and £100 cash for any working android phone from Samsung. Worked out at £150 delivered. Great phone, good pictures, decent battery.

Keep an eye on Samsung website to see what deals they are offering.

northernshaggy
    Free Member

Just got my misses a redmi note 7 – it has a 48m camera, 4 GB ram, 64 GB storage, a 4000 may battery, sd card slot and a 6.4 inch screen. I got it from gearbest for £142.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I asked about mobiles on here a while back & still haven’t decided!
    Heading towards the Moto G7 power.

johnnystorm

Have a look on HotUKDeals. If you’re buying Android you can get something amazing for 400 quid.

Huawei Mate 20
    Huawei P30
    Honor 20
    Honor View 20
    Xiaomi Redmi 9t or 9t Pro
    Xiaomi Mi 9
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers all, went for the Moto G7 pro. About as much as I was wanting to spend and seems to do everything well enough.

_tom_
    Free Member

Moro G series for me too. I had a G5S for a while and it was great, sadly I managed to drop it in the bog and now the touch screen is nackered. I’ll probably get a G7 when I have some spare monies. Currently using my wife’s old iPhone SE and apart from the camera it’s quite shit in comparison to the Motorola. Tiny screen, terrible battery life, poor storage, tied into the apple ecosystem etc. Feels like a massive downgrade.

nuke

Heading towards the Moto G7 power.

Me too. Always has OnePlus and still on a OnePlus 3 but cant get passed the G7 power as particularly keen to use it for route navigation whilst cycling or hiking and at £158 & a 5000mah battery its seems a bargain

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Really impressed with the Moto 👍 new phones are normally a bit of an anti climax especially seeing as I was going ‘budget’,but I’m more than happy. Big screen is nice and can’t really notice too much difference between the pixel 2 performance wise. Recommended. I’ll be even happier when the contract runs out and go sim only.

matt_outandabout

All our work Moto phones are well received. G7 here for me and it’s great.
    The longer I have it, the more I find it hard to justify the extra I spent on my personal Sony XZ1.
    I’ve just ordered another G7 this week for a new staff member – nothing else on the Vodafone corporate list came close.

sadexpunk

timely thread as my phone htc M9 gets too hot these days, especially after a few minutes of satnav duty.
    cant afford oneplus or pixel type prices to probs a G7 for me too then.

id like to keep my three sim going as its only £11 p/m, so wheres the best place to buy it outright and unlocked?

thanks

phil5556

@sadexpunk John Lewis if their price of good, they price Match too. 2 year warranty and I recently warrantied a 6 month old phone with them with no hassle, full refund.

tinribz
    Free Member

The motos all seem to weigh a ton and are light on cpu. The pixels look good until you see the price and realise huawei are better spec for literally half the price:

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Google-Pixel-3A-vs-Google-Pixel-3A-XL-vs-Honor-Play

sadexpunk

cheers, and thanks for adding to my confusion too 😀

id been put off huawei/honor by the google/chinese scare stories, no future support etc. is this still a thing? a valid concern or just rubbish?

phil5556

The motos all seem to weigh a ton

Because of the massive battery?

I picked up my old Moto Z Play yesterday, it’s huge and I’d forgotten how heavy it is.

tinribz
    Free Member

They are licenced by model. If it comes running Android you’re good.

About time someone with enough clout brought out an alternative anyways. Google may have shot themselves in the foot longer term.

Also some interesting Linux phones on the horizon.

sadexpunk

They are licenced by model. If it comes running Android you’re good.

was that an answer to my question mate, about the huawei/honor scares?
    nothing to worry about? back from hols now so time to get cracking and find me a new phone. always had good second hand ones from here before but with less traffic on the ads, im not convinced ill get one these days. id be happy with a ‘good as new’ second hand phone from a trusted stw’er 🙂
    ill give it a try first, nowt to lose, if not ill look on john lewis next.

thanks

Flaperon

Huawei Mate 20 Pro now down to about 150 from O2 if you’re willing to take out a Refresh contract and cancel it straight away (I did it last week).

sadexpunk

bah, should have stated id prefer to keep my three sim contract going, but not a deal-breaker for the right phone.

thanks

Flaperon

I’m with Vodafone and took the O2 contract out in the shop, then cancelled it when I got home without even putting the SIM in. O2 phones are sold unlocked. Obviously you do have to suffer a credit check but since phone companies appear to lend to anything with a pulse I wouldn’t be too concerned.

sadexpunk

hmmmm interesting. just had a look at those contracts, and they seem a bit complicated, but i spose if you cncel it then it doesnt matter how complicated it is…..

now assuming that O2 would make their money from the contract itself, why on earth would they allow anyone to cancel that contract and walk off with say a £300 phone for about half that price?

you sure its that simple? 😀

mogrim

I’ve just bought a Samsung A70 and I’m very happy with it so far.

ElShalimo

Has anyone compared the Moto G7 vs the Motorola One phones?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Edit: just seen it’s an old thread

Flaperon

you sure its that simple? 😀

Yep. Think O2 got a heads-up on the US extending its sanctions towards Hauwei and they’re flogging their remaining stock as fast as they can.

granny_ring

I’m tempted to get a Samsung a50 for the other half…..

mandog

My Pixel 2xl got stolen a few weeks back. I’ve bought a Motorola One Vision as a stand in whilst I wait for latest Pixel 4 to be released. Might just stick with the Moto though.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What mobile phone?’ is closed to new replies.